CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Hunt Club to host Women's Open?

The Ottawa Hunt and Golf Club is apparently one stroke away from hosting next year's CN Canadian Women's Open.

More...
    Last edited by Kilroy; 07-09-2007 at 12:24 PM.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Hey guys and gals here is your chance to get up close to the women of the LPGA. This is a fantastic tournament, I attended the event last year at the London Hunt Club.

Practice rounds are a blast. The ladies will take the time to be with you for photos, autographs etc.

Also, if can offer your time to volunteer at the event. They will need plenty of volunteers from drivers, scorers, etc. Also you could put your name in for a caddie job as a lot of the women do not have regular caddies. Last year in London the organizers were scrambling for caddies for the Pro Am.

You are lucky this event is coming your way Last year in London this event had the best attendance for an LPGA non major. The crowds were huge every day. Be a part of it !
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Dan,

The link isn't working...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Fixed.

I'll definately be going. We saw the ladies there at the DuMaurier and it was a great event!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    They're playing this year at Royal Mayfair here in Edmonton I believe. I'm not sure how many top 10 players attend though. Didn't The Hunt host it once before? I thought I remember someone telling me it was all no-names or lower ranked players who attended?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    This has been at both the Hunt and the Royal before, hasn't it? And both times it would have been one of the 4 LPGA majors, so I don't think it was 'nobodies' here, EG.

I think the Hunt hosted a Canadian Tour women's event recently, maybe that's the one you're thinking of?

The DuMaurier was a Major. It was played here at the Hunt some years ago, and again at the Royal I think 2 years ago. A law was passed no longer allowing tobacco companies to sponsor sporting events so DuMaurier was out. The LPGA could not find a new sponsor so they now have the Women's British Open as their 4th major.

This is the "replacement" event. No longer a major.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    The DuMaurier's final fling as a major was at the Royal Ottawa in 2000. I volunteered as a signboy for the event and still have the uniform
    Dan is right. Go if you can. The golf was amazing.

Oh gawd was it really that long ago? Time really flies.

We have our own "sighnboy" here!
    Did ya check out Anika's Footjoys? They're awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    This has been at both the Hunt and the Royal before, hasn't it? And both times it would have been one of the 4 LPGA majors, so I don't think it was 'nobodies' here, EG.

I think the Hunt hosted a Canadian Tour women's event recently, maybe that's the one you're thinking of?

I must have been thinking about the one at the Royal. A buddy of mine went and said none of the top 10 were there.

It's like the Canadian Open for the PGA. It was good when it was at Royal Montreal the time I went. Everyone was there including Tiger. Seemed after that, you'd see one or two of the top names.

Good golf to see nonetheless, but it's a shame Canada doesn't attract big names when it comes to events.

It's the $pon$or$, or lack of them, that cause this. DuMaurier was willing to keep putting money in, but the gov wouldn't allow it to continue.

Now that the men's Cdn open is right after the British, it will be virtually void of name players. But that's kinda another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    It's the $pon$or$, or lack of them, that cause this. DuMaurier was willing to keep putting money in, but the gov wouldn't allow it to continue.
    How does that work? Do the players not come because there aren't enough 'freebies' from the sponsors? I'm just wondering because I looked on the LPGA site and the Canadian Open here hasa purse of 2.25 million.

That's better than I thought. CN stepped up for sure, albeit too late to save the event's status as a major.

The future of the men's event could be in real trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    That's better than I thought. CN stepped up for sure, albeit too late to save the event's status as a major.

The future of the men's event could be in real trouble.
    Is it just the purse though that is the reason behind most big name players not attending? I mean I know the players don't like Glen Abbey, and that's been publicized to death, but is there anything else behind the scenes that keeps them away?

They need to get the Men's event out of the Toronto area for it to succeed.

The new date is also an issue. The week after the British Open.

Last year the event conflicted with Annika's event in Sweden.

However there was still plenty of "BIG NAMES" in London. Natalie, Christie Kerr (Winner) Morgan Pressell, SeRi Pak, Christina Kim, Meg Malon, and on and on. Remember, even without the Big Names you will still see some great golf (compared to the way we hack it around )

Much like an event Tiger does not attend, some people are not interested in attending or watching. However great finishes can be had without the Top Players there.

Trust me, if you go you will truly enjoy yourself. If this event was in London next year I would be buying tickets right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Last year the event conflicted with Annika's event in Sweden.

However there was still plenty of "BIG NAMES" in London. Natalie, Christie Kerr (Winner) Morgan Pressell, SeRi Pak, Christina Kim, Meg Malon, and on and on. Remember, even without the Big Names you will still see some great golf (compared to the way we hack it around )

Much like an event Tiger does not attend, some people are not interested in attending or watching. However great finishes can be had without the Top Players there.

Trust me, if you go you will truly enjoy yourself. If this event was in London next year I would be buying tickets right now!
    No doubt great golf is to be seen no matter who is playing, but it's always nice when you don't feel like Canada is a stinky shoe nobody wants to put their foot in. It sure seems that way for the Canadian Open for the men.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    No doubt great golf is to be seen no matter who is playing, but it's always nice when you don't feel like Canada is a stinky shoe nobody wants to put their foot in. It sure seems that way for the Canadian Open for the men.
    Well I think the thing with the Men's Open is this. The PGA basically abandoned that tournament years ago and the players followed. At one time the Canadian Open was considered one of the Triple Crown Events. The Open Championship, The US Open and The Canadian Open were all considered as National Opens and were coveted by the PGA members.

Somewhere along that line that has been lost. I remember Lee Trevino stating that The Canadian Open was a big title to win.

Another factor which I feel hurts the event are some of the courses it is held on. Lets face it, Angus Glen is not exactly a Championship course.

Lorie Kane really helped give the women's event a big boost when CN recruited her to help. Lorie helped influence many of the members of the LPGA to come to London last year and I am sure she is doing the same this year for the Edmonton event.

If Edmonton can draw Paula, Natalie, Christie Kerr, Linsicombe, Pak and others you will have an event well worth attending. Like I said if this event was back in London I would be there in a heartbeat. For me, meeting SeRi Pak was worth the price of admission
    I loved watching those ladies play golf and The Hunt Club was a great track to hold that event. The women loved it.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Wasn't the CN Womens Open at the Hunt last year as well? I played the day before it and the ladies were there practicing.. Watching them hit balls on the range was pretty awsome.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    Wasn't the CN Womens Open at the Hunt last year as well? I played the day before it and the ladies were there practicing.. Watching them hit balls on the range was pretty awsome.

The CN Women's 2006 Open was held at the London Hunt Club. So unless you played that course you did not see the ladies!

4 Iron DewDuster is on a distinguished road
    Actually you are both right. The LPGA CN Canadian Open was at London Hunt Club, but one of the CN Women's Tour stops was at the Ottawa Hunt.

The Women's Tour is like the men's Canadian Tour, winner's of the tournaments and top money winners would get sponsor exemptions into the LPGA Canadian Open.

As Lance mentioned, even though these ladies were not at the LPGA level, they were very impressive to watch.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I will definitely be going, especially with my 9 year old daughter who is starting to get into the game. From what I have heard and read the women are way more accessible than the men and generally go out of their way for the crowds. The field at London was quite deep last year so hopefully it will be at least as good next year (and this year as well).
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Thread Information