CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    4PUTT

Flex Can Anyone Tell Me The Difference

Can anyone tell me the difference between a regular flex on a graphite club and the other different flex's that are available.

Any suggestions on what type of flex a person needs. Does it depend on age, power, type of back swing?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Iron golfmajic is on a distinguished road
    You are entering the world of Black Magic when it comes to shaft flex.
    According to the Golf Works Catalog little standardization exists within the shaft industry. Flex differs by manufacturer and torque ratings are not uniformly measured. To help figure out what shaft is required for a player Golf Works has developed a Playability Factor to help remove the guess work when choosing a shaft. It is based upon swing speed, shot making requirements such as trajectory correction for slice, hook or none. In the catalog they have a table to help make pick the right shaft defining these requirements. With this information they provide a playability factor lined up with the available shafts to meet the needs. I suggest that you get your hands on the catalog and have a look, it may be you best chance to choose a correct shaft.
    If you arrive at Golf Town and ask what shaft you should have in your clubs they may have you swing a club to measure club head speed. After that they will likely say you should be playing a shaft of this flex only based upon club head speed. After that you would usually get the manufacturers stock shaft.
    Good Luck.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfmajic View Post
    It is based upon swing speed, shot making requirements such as trajectory correction for slice, hook or none. .

While the GW playability guide is a good starting point I truly believe that there is a no such thing as a shaft that will correct a hook or a slice. It is best to go see a clubfitter who has a launch monitor or access to a driving range(with many demos as well) and who has good knowledge of the swing.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

7 Iron Seanemmetttimot is on a distinguished road
    Also note there are some other variables when choosing the right shaft and flex....

Your swing speed
    Your swing tempo
    Your transition (point at which swing changes direction at the top)
    Your wrist cock release

Two people can have the same swing speed but if they have different transitions and releases they may feel better with different shaft flexes.........

By all means get yourself to a launch monitor and get fitted........

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Wow--this could be a doozie! I can not hit my driver for the life of me. I can hit my 3wd pretty good (lets not argue) Someone told me last week that my driver may be too stiff. Lately my 3wd is right in the fairway 95% of the time--I'm happy. It does not matter what I do my driver always slices--never hooks and never pulls. I'm a lefty but I don't use that as an excuse! Any suggestions---to old to change sides
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

7 Iron Seanemmetttimot is on a distinguished road
    Hey BigMac,

What are the specs on your 3W and driver?

The main cause of a slice is that the clubface is open when it comes in contact with the ball. Do you slice your 3W? Do you slice any other clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Wow--this could be a doozie! I can not hit my driver for the life of me. I can hit my 3wd pretty good (lets not argue) Someone told me last week that my driver may be too stiff. Lately my 3wd is right in the fairway 95% of the time--I'm happy. It does not matter what I do my driver always slices--never hooks and never pulls. I'm a lefty but I don't use that as an excuse! Any suggestions---to old to change sides

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Hey Sean---Chuck Brown Clubs--upper limit--Graphite Med Flex --not oversize--No other slices---maybe odd time with 3 iron. Does that help?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post

Ha. The eternal rant driver slices 3 wood does not. The answer lies in spin not in shafts. The lower the loft the higher the sidespin. It is best to take lessons to correct a slice but if you want to go the club route then just go for a higher lofted driver with offset,closed face ,upright angle,heel weighted etc. Golfsmith sells the special force driver for that purpose and Golfworks sells the MXO for the same purpose. Try one. Your slices will turn into fades and you will also pull it occasionally.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information