100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power Cart

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road

Power Cart

In a recent tournament two of my fellow competitors were using a power cart. On a hole that was unfamiliar to them, I suggested that they drive ahead to see where the green was located. One of them indicated that this was against the rules and that they could walk ahead, but not ride ahead.

If this is true, what rule makes riding ahead like this, unacceptable?

Thanks.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking gonna be a good one

This one's gonna be a good one.

I've never heard this one before. If they were allowed to ride why would it matter?

natgolfer...was this an OVGA tournament?

Four Ball

The tournament was the OVGA Four Ball at Hylands. The player was one who has competed at the RCGA level many times and who knows the rules very well.

While riding is permitted at the OVGA level, perhaps the use of the power cart to check out where the green was, or a pin placement or whatever, is considered an artificial "aid."

3 Iron donh is on a distinguished road donh's Avatar

Artificial Aids

Nat...

When the OVGA made the decision to allow carts, this is one of the considerations that must have crept into their thinking...

In my opinion, it's not against the rules for someone to check out the pin placement for a subsequent shot. So, how they got there is, again this is simply my opinion, is not against the rules. Walk or Power cart... It's ok.

That's my guess, anyway.
    Thanks for the screen-time.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Definitions:

1. Information on the Rules or on matters of public information, such as the position of hazards or the flagstick on the putting green, is not advice.

2. A marker is one who is appointed by the Committee to record a competitor’s score in stroke play. He may be a fellow-competitor. He is not a referee.

There are no special Rules of Golf regarding the use of power carts.
    There may be Local Rules for the placement of carts (eg. no carts on the putting green, please).

If you can walk to look for a flagstick placement, then you can ride to look.
    The Committee has no power to waive a Rule of Golf (Rule 33-1).

Tip #1: Even if you don't have time to become a Rules guru, please learn the definitions.
    90% (I am not exaggerating) of golfers questions can be answered with a working knowledge of only the defintions.

Tip #2: A fellow-competitor is an outside agency. He cannot dictate your play or decide the Rules.
    If you know something you are doing is within the Rules, go ahead and do it. Don't be intimidated by someone with a stern voice.
    If you are doubtful of your rights or the proper procedure, play two balls and let the Committee figure out your score later.

Big_duck

Just Curious

Gary,

What would be the ruling if it wasn't their cart, i.e. they had to borrow one to make the trip. This may be the cause of the confusion here.

Originally posted by Gary Hill

There are no special Rules of Golf regarding the use of power carts.
    It does not matter whose cart it is.

Power Cart "Local" Rule

While there are no RCGA rules governing the use of power carts, there will be some local rules regarding cart usage, implemented in January 2004.

In a discussion I had yesterday at the OVGA Seniors tournament, with the "Dean" of rules for the OVGA, it was indicated that starting next season in all OVGA (Ottawa Valley Golf Association) tournaments and all QGA(Quebec Golf Association) tournaments, where use power carts are permitted, that players will NOT be able to use the carts to go forward to check out green, hazard, pin, etc., locations.

Also, there apparently will be some discussion at the RCGA tournament level about this same issue. I am not sure what other RCGA tournaments allow power cart usage, but they are used in the RCGA Canadian Seniors tournaments, both medal and match play.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    nat-

I had the same discussion with "Dino" last Thursday.

In some RCGA sanctioned tournaments, there is already a Local Rule in effect to prohibit power carts from going forward to scout terrain.

There are no plans to modify this policy in 2004.

The OVGA may implement a similar Local Rule if they so choose.

Thread Information