dasnutz,

I hate to rain on the parade but when someone brings something across the border they are importing it. I just thought that I would inform you whether they make a purchase and declare it at face value or claim it as a gift the same duties apply to the suggested value. Anything with value over $20.00 should be declared and to conceal it's actual value is fraud. The same as is one was to buy a car for a dollar and try to only pay the equivalent tax on that amount.

Here is the quote form the customs Importer seminar ***

Importing by courier - Goods VALUED at $20.00 or less Canadian are exempt from duties when imported by courier.

Importing by mail. - Goods VAlUED at $20.00 or less Canadian are exempt from duties when imported by mail.

So to sending it across as a gift makes no difference then if they declared it as beening bought. It is up to the individual who is recieving it to declare it's true value, not the Government to monitor it.

The section under "Summary" also says to "Maintain records for 6 years after import". So, to those who think that they have got away with the "gift" declaration they may want to keep their purchase reciept for that time period or they may be paying more then they think in the end.

If you are still unsure and need more information on this go to the customs web site at

www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca

or phone and ask for yourself at

1-800-461-9999

Hope this helps!

Stever