CorporateGolfXtra 2024
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    Just pack a 2nd set of pants next time laddie and everthing will be all right. That's what I do...better to be prepared than scared...

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_world View Post
    ummmm i'm not complaining, just thought it was a funny story i would share. should have known that everybody would be all over me, this board is full uptight folk
    Uptight? What do you expect?

It is called
    OTTAWAgolf.com
    for a reason.

Back at it.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    Agreed,but you know what?You can only do that so long before it catches up to you.Tell a buddy who then tells a buddy etc..
    The members generally pride themselves on their rules & exclusivity ... They want you to know you can't play there unless you do what they do etc etc ... And there are enough people that think this way that their clubs will always be full.

I have a friend whose father is at a very exclusive club, and he was once a junior member there. They treated him like garbage (even though his father's membership was worth a small fortune), but that was the way it went ... They had a huge list of dress code rules that extended from the golf course to the lunch room to the dining room etc etc (we're talking about turning down members access to the lunch room after a game of golf because they are still wearing their golf wear and did not remember to bring the appropriate lunch wear to change into)... and this was 10 years ago. Today, the rules are the same, and the line to get in is at elast twice as long.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat Williams View Post
    The members generally pride themselves on their rules & exclusivity ... They want you to know you can't play there unless you do what they do etc etc ... And there are enough people that think this way that their clubs will always be full.

I have a friend whose father is at a very exclusive club, and he was once a junior member there. They treated him like garbage (even though his father's membership was worth a small fortune), but that was the way it went ... They had a huge list of dress code rules that extended from the golf course to the lunch room to the dining room etc etc ... and this was 10 years ago. Today, the rules are the same, and the line to get in is at elast twice as long.
    Well...maybe right Nat,but if someone wants my money they will need to earn it and show me some respect Perhaps im old fashioned that way
    Reminds me of people that line up hours to get into a bar only to spend their hard earned money
    To each his own i guess.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    Well...maybe right Nat,but if someone wants my money they will need to earn it and show me some respect Perhaps im old fashioned that way
    Reminds me of people that line up hours to get into a bar only to spend their hard earned money
    To each his own i guess.
    To a certain extent....You have to show respect to the club that is allowing you on as a guest and know what is to be expected of you and your behaviour when you are playing there.

Everyone gets a handbook from each of the private courses in Ottawa when you join. It usually has a list of members and their member numbers, along with upcoming meetings, course maintenance, and DRESS CODE. In fact, I think dress code is one of the first pages in the book.

I think if the Head Pro would have embarassed the guy in public verbally, then perhaps he'd have something to complain about as far as professionalism goes. The guy had another employee ask hello_world to see him in his office. He did not make a fool of him in front of all the other members. What is he expected to do? It's his job as the head pro to make sure that everyone is following the dress code and rules of the course.

I remember on more than one occasion at Rivermead when people would come into the Men's Lounge with their hats on and some of the older members would yell at them to take it off...It's respectful and part of etiquitte along with dress code in my opinion.

Putter postaljoe is on a distinguished road
    I constantly read several golf publications and there seems to be one common denominator between them...the state of the game in Canada. Retentive people that turn their noses in the air because of cargo pants are exactly what's wrong. I am a 26 year old avid golfer, and like many in my generation, wearing cargo pants on the course is not new. Clubs like the one you went to are going to be scratching their heads in a few years when they have hardly any members. For that matter so will the RCGA.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    I remember on more than one occasion at Rivermead when people would come into the Men's Lounge with their hats on and some of the older members would yell at them to take it off...It's respectful and part of etiquitte along with dress code in my opinion.
    I was just going to post that hello_world should try walking into a Canadian Legion with a hat on

Golf is a game of tradition and respect. IMO and as I've voiced on here numerous time, I believe that some of the rules need to be up-dated and I suppose some of the traditions may need to be up-dated too.........but until they are

PS - No shorts allowed on the PGA tour (cargo or otherwise)

3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by postaljoe View Post
    I constantly read several golf publications and there seems to be one common denominator between them...the state of the game in Canada. Retentive people that turn their noses in the air because of cargo pants are exactly what's wrong. I am a 26 year old avid golfer, and like many in my generation, wearing cargo pants on the course is not new. Clubs like the one you went to are going to be scratching their heads in a few years when they have hardly any members. For that matter so will the RCGA.

well said, golf is not just for snobs anymore!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Clubs like the one you went to are going to be scratching their heads in a few years when they have hardly any members.
    I disagree.
    Private clubs waiting lists are getting longer & longer and will continue to do so. Since the essence of a private club is privacy they will continue to have absurd dress codes & full memberships. Deal with it.
    The problem with golf in Canada is not dress codes, it is the fact that it is expensive and takes way too long to play 18 holes. That, and the fact that the cup needs to be much, much larger...but I digress.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

well said, golf is not just for snobs anymore!
    So in your opinion, it is "snobby" to have a dress code? Is soccer a game for "snobs" too? How about football? Did you know that the NFL did not allow Peyton Manning to wear white shoes because it's not permitted as part of their rules..

I see a common trend here...Not sure if you notice a pattern..

Highly unlikely. The kids of the folks who currently belong to these types of clubs will have been brought up to have an appropriate appreciation and respect for the "Old Ways".

And has been started numerous times already, most of these elite private courses have very long waiting lists......

So in your opinion, it is "snobby" to have a dress code? Is soccer a game for "snobs" too? How about football? Did you know that the NFL did not allow Peyton Manning to wear white shoes because it's not permitted as part of their rules..

I see a common trend here...Not sure if you notice a pattern..

i only think its snobby if you wear pleats in the front. maybe i can get some pleats stiched into my cargos? ahhh, its time to go drink some cognac!!!!

i only think its snobby if you wear pleats in the front. maybe i can get some pleats stiched into my cargos? ahhh, its time to go drink some cognac!!!!
    Riggggggggggggght.

I guess you miss the point of dress code and have issues with that the word "respect" means when you speak of rules of a private golf course.

The rules and codes of conduct are there for a reason. If you don't like them, don't play there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post

And has been started numerous times already, most of these elite private courses have very long waiting lists......
    there is no wait at this club and at $25K you too can become a member in a matter of hours! just don't forget to obtain their dress code handbook.

I don't agree they all have huge waiting lists, with the development of so many new courses, not everyone wants to golf at just one club.

I personally think its ridiculous to pay $25K and you can only golf one course, the rest of your life. I'd get bored way too quick.

You will see memberships like Clublink growing more and more in popularity. These old school clubs will have to change their ways in the future, just because daddie golfed there and lived with the rules doesn't mean junior is going to think the same way.

i guess only time will tell!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I'm still not touching this one
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Riggggggggggggght.

I guess you miss the point of dress code and have issues with that the word "respect" means when you speak of rules of a private golf course.

The rules and codes of conduct are there for a reason. If you don't like them, don't play there.
    dude, i don't know why you are jumping all over me. i wasn't complaining, i complied with their request, I_JUST_THOUGHT_IT_WAS_A_FUNNY_STORY!!!!

Why is it the women can wear shorts and short skirts on the LPGA?
    Why can Tiger wear shirts with no collar?Why can Daly wear whatever he wants
    Equipement is constantly changing,nobody uses permission woods any more?
    Im not against clubs having dress codes by any means,but why is this still an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I'm still not touching this one
    Come on,you know you wannnnnaaa

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I have a pair of shorts with pleats, does this mean that I'm no longer allowed to drink Laker beer? Should I just go throw out the stuff thats sitting in my fridge and buy a fine microbrew? Will that define me as a person?
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    "Hello World"-----can we guess the club now? To keep it private---PM the winner
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

i only think its snobby if you wear pleats in the front. maybe i can get some pleats stiched into my cargos?
    Definitions of Pleat on the Web:
    Fold of fabric, folded back upon itself so that the pleat is comprised of three layers; occurs vertically only. Pleats may be partially stitched or pressed down. Kinds of pleats include: knife pleats, box pleats, inverted pleats, and accordion pleats.
    A fold of fabric, generally pressed flat, allowing for extra room in a garment.

I believe that the cargo pocket "Expansion" area would technically be considered a pleat............so pleats are cool so long as they are down the side of the leg and not on the front of the pant or shorts. Do I have this correct??

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    I have a pair of shorts with pleats, does this mean that I'm no longer allowed to drink Laker beer? Should I just go throw out the stuff thats sitting in my fridge and buy a fine microbrew? Will that define me as a person?

RElax everyone! I was just being funny about the pleats... i didn't mean to offend you all with the comment, it was a joke and the same goes for this thread! Wear want you want, just be prepared for the consequences. Hell, if they want me to wear pink on Sundays, then I will if that is what it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    "Hello World"-----can we guess the club now? To keep it private---PM the winner

Go for it! The winner will receive a new pair of used socks, but they aren't pull-ups, they are ankle cut.

RElax everyone! I was just being funny about the pleats... i didn't mean to offend you all with the comment, it was a joke and the same goes for this thread! Wear want you want, just be prepared for the consequences. Hell, if they want me to wear pink on Sundays, then I will if that is what it takes.
    I bet Goulbus can wear pink cargos and nobody would care

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Why is it out of the question to go with tradition?
    Exactly. Back in 1999 when I visited the world's oldest public course (St. Andrews) the dress code was quite specific - dress pants only. No shorts, no other types of pants. Sunday's best.

I complied - and happily so - I brushed up against a couple gorse bushes and those razor-sharp limbs would have split my legs open had I not had "protection" on!

As for other golf courses, private or otherwise, it's refreshing to see some establishments maintaining and enforcing dress codes. I find that since Tiger mania started a number of years ago, things have gone somewhat down hill. I'm no old guy either - I'm 32 - but I do respect tradition.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Dude, I wasn't getting offended, I was just making a joke too.... I however will not wear pink on Sundays. It would clash with my bloodshot eyes!
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    I don't have a 42" waist either. I wasn't aware there were rules to wearing pants with pleats in them. Is that something new? You have to have a 42" waist to dress nicely? HAHAHAHAH!...I guess a suit is out of the question at a wedding too?
    Hmmm... I'm no 28" waist but I'm not 42" either... and looking down, yep them's be pleats on the front of my pants today!

Well rules are rules i guess,but the cargo shorts thing to me doesnt make sense at all?
    Do i wear regular cut shorts and risk having my divot tool stab me in the nads? Or do i play it safe and wear cargos

Hell, if they want me to wear pink on Sundays, then I will if that is what it takes.
    Don't you be dissing the Pink now. Talking down to pleats is one thing but disrespecting the Pink...............thems fighting words

Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    Well rules are rules i guess,but the cargo shorts thing to me doesnt make sense at all?
    Do i wear regular cut shorts and risk having my divot tool stab me in the nads? Or do i play it safe and wear cargos

...........since you put it that way

Thread Information