100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    There's a dress code for a reason. It's been a part of golf since before any of us were born. It doesn't matter if they cause no harm or not...Jeans don't cause any harm either...Are you saying courses should allow people to wear them too?

The ONLY Pro in ANY tournament that's been on this year that has worn that style of pants is Langer, and he was scrutinized by the television commentators for it. Even Arnold Palmer said the game is losing respect because some amateurs are going around with their shirt tails not tucked in.
    who would wear jeans to golf? Cargo pants are not even in the same category.

Any it doesn't matter if its only one pro that you've seen, its obvious the rules need to change if even the pros are wearing this attire.

perhaps you are just old school edmonton? that's fine... that's fine....

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_world View Post
    never knew it was so uptight out west... wow. incredible.
    It has nothing to do with "out West". The people out here are more laid back than in Ottawa I'll tell you that. I lived there for 25 years and when I moved out here, I couldn't believe how relaxed people are.

It's a part of golf. If you don't like it, don't go play private courses. Jump on your local municipal course or maybe Geoff can help you out with a round at Edgewood. I'm sure you could wear whatever you want there.

It has nothing to do with "out West". The people out here are more laid back than in Ottawa I'll tell you that. I lived there for 25 years and when I moved out here, I couldn't believe how relaxed people are.

It's a part of golf. If you don't like it, don't go play private courses. Jump on your local municipal course or maybe Geoff can help you out with a round at Edgewood. I'm sure you could wear whatever you want there.

I'm a clublink member and I can wear them at any course I choose. never been told otherwise. It's called catching up with the times. the youth are the future and they the industry needs more golfers. shouldn't you make it an easy choice for the young ones? don't throw up roadblocks, don't embarass guests with stupid rules.

who would wear jeans to golf? Cargo pants are not even in the same category.

Any it doesn't matter if its only one pro that you've seen, its obvious the rules need to change if even the pros are wearing this attire.

perhaps you are just old school edmonton? that's fine... that's fine....
    I'm not old school, but I have respect for the game and it's rules. Dress codes happen to be a part of what you expect when you take up the game.

I'll give you another example....How about International soccer...You can be sent off for not having your shirt tucked in. That happens to be a part of respect for the sport and has nothing to do with whether or not it's "harming anyone".

It's not like this is something new. Why should the sport change it's dress codes because someone wants to wear whatever they want and thinks "little pleats" are too much to ask?

It's not like this is something new. Why should the sport change it's dress codes because someone wants to wear whatever they want and thinks "little pleats" are too much to ask?

ahhhpoor guy, don't be offended by my little pleat joke. I just don't have a 42 inch waist and therefore don't wear pleats...

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Bottom line is that ignorance of the law (or in this case the rules) is not an acceptable defense or excuse. A Private course has the right to impose whatever dress code they deem appropriate. If you or anyone else doesn't like it you have the right to go and play somewhere else.

Some feel that cargo pants are proper golfing attire some do not - if a course feels that they are not, you have 3 choices:

1. Play somewhere else
    2. Conform to the dress code
    3. Buy the course and change the rules

Pretty straight forward IMO

I'm a clublink member and I can wear them at any course I choose. never been told otherwise. It's called catching up with the times. the youth are the future and they the industry needs more golfers. shouldn't you make it an easy choice for the young ones? don't throw up roadblocks, don't embarass guests with stupid rules.
    I don't think a dress code is a "stupid rule". It's part of the game of golf no matter how young people are that are playing or not. Why is it out of the question to go with tradition? There are many different stylish fashions out there with "little pleats" that can be had. You don't have to dress in 1970's clothing.

Have you ever played Glen Abbey? I have and you're not allowed to wear cargo pants there either.

i've played glen abby and wore cargo shorts. nobody told me otherwise. I think its all a pile of BS.

ahhhpoor guy, don't be offended by my little pleat joke. I just don't have a 42 inch waist and therefore don't wear pleats...
    I don't have a 42" waist either. I wasn't aware there were rules to wearing pants with pleats in them. Is that something new? You have to have a 42" waist to dress nicely? HAHAHAHAH!...I guess a suit is out of the question at a wedding too?

i've played glen abby and wore cargo shorts. nobody told me otherwise. I think its all a pile of BS.
    Sure you have....LOL! The director of Golf Operations happens to be best friends with the CPGA Pro in South Edmonton and I can assure you, cargo pants are not part of their dress code.

1. Play somewhere else
    2. Conform to the dress code
    3. Buy the course and change the rules

Pretty straight forward IMO
    EXACTLY!

If he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to play there.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I consider myself a pretty relaxed guy when it comes to rules and stuff, but even I have to agree with Scott and EG. Complaining about something that is completely beyond the norm is one thing, but the fact that most if not all private courses in the area likely have a similar dress code kind of makes whining about this a little excessive.

Every time I've been invited to a private club, I have either asked or been informed of the dress code prior to playing. I don't think that your ignorance to the rules of the club is in anyway their fault. The only thing I can see that they weren't very straight forward with is the green fee situation for you as a guest. I've never actually paid the shop when I was invited out places, the member took care of it and I paid him back after the round, so I just assumed that was pretty much the norm at private tracks.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    now, the damn upper canadian attitiudes have rubbed off on me and i don't bother anymore.
    Upper Canadian attitudes????? What century are you living in?
    Damn those redcoats & their dress codes!!
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Enjoyed the thread guys----I'm not even going to comment on this one. Thanks EG--we just confirmed booking in Sedona Arizona for March----going shopping tonight!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    The club i used to belong to (private) doesn't allow cargo shorts or cargo pants either... wearing cargo pants to play golf would never occur to me... that being said
    , I do own a pair of Ashworth shorts that have cargo pockets, which is curious.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

ummmm i'm not complaining, just thought it was a funny story i would share. should have known that everybody would be all over me, this board is full uptight folk

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Enjoyed the thread guys----I'm not even going to comment on this one. Thanks EG--we just confirmed booking in Sedona Arizona for March----going shopping tonight!
    No problem...We'll talk about it over in your thread.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Forget the dress code for a minute...i was under the impression he was complaining about the way he was treated?
    What should have happened is the head pro should have told the member descretely"Next time you bring a guest,please observe the dress code in effect"
    Is that so hard?Like i said before,this guest could have been there scoping the place out in order to purchase a membership.Rude service could have cost the club alot of money.
    My 2 cents
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Sure you have....LOL! The director of Golf Operations happens to be best friends with the CPGA Pro in South Edmonton and I can assure you, cargo pants are not part of their dress code.
    I didn;t say i wore cargo pants, I wore cargo SHORTS. oh wow, best friends eh? are they best friends for ever?

Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    Forget the dress code for a minute...i was under the impression he was complaining about the way he was treated?
    What should have happened is the head pro should have told the member descretely"Next time you bring a guest,please observe the dress code in effect"
    Is that so hard?Like i said before,this guest could have been there scoping the place out in order to purchase a membership.Rude service could have cost the club alot of money.
    My 2 cents
    i'm not really complaining at all, just sharing a personal story which i found funny. but your point is valid, it was embarrassing for me and the member. Let me tell you this, I would never even consider becoming a member there now that I know how they treat people. Obviously they don't even inform new members of the rules, he was only a member there for 2 weeks. Imgaine if i was a big client of his, then it would have been really embarassing.

I would imagine its up to the member to read the rules

I would imagine its up to the member to read the rules
    I guess, but at $25,000 for initiation, you would think they would at least provide an orientation. obviously new members will be excited to invite their friends and colleagues out as quickly as they can....

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    yeah, its me. Im so damn good looking that i scare everyone away and they probably are running inside because they don't know how to handle such a handsome gentleman.
    It's not that, it's that HUGE chip on your shoulder. They are not sure it will even fit through the door...

I guess, but at $25,000 for initiation, you would think they would at least provide an orientation. obviously new members will be excited to invite their friends and colleagues out as quickly as they can....
    Ohhhhhhh,now you got me really curious

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    It's not that, it's that HUGE chip on your shoulder. They are not sure it will even fit through the door...

yeah, you are right! I'm so jaded i just want to wear my cargo pants and have doors held wide open for me!

Thanks Hank, now go back to shooting your gun at some helpless game animal

You boys better play nice or else the long arm of da law come down on ya'al

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Rude service could have cost the club alot of money.
    Most of these places have waiting lists longer than your arm, they don't care if they turn someone off.

at $25,000 for initiation, you would think they would at least provide an orientation. obviously new members will be excited to invite their friends and colleagues out as quickly as they can....

With a 25K initiation you must be referring to Hunt Club.
    The person who invited you as a guest should have brought you to the pro shop & outfitted you with the appropriate shorts. Problem solved.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I think all of the shorts I wear golfing could be descirbed as "cargo" golf shorts, in that they have 2 big pockets on the front, and I have never had any problems, at any golf course I have been to.

Clublink has a pretty relaxed dress code, and they own Glen Abbey. I will have to get back to you on whether I can play golf there in my normal attire in a month or so. But I would bet I don't have any problems.

As to the rules at some private clubs, either live by them or don't go.

I do remeber getting in trouble at the elite Amberwood in Stittsville because my shirt was not tucked in.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar

Thanks Hank, now go back to shooting your gun at some helpless game animal
    Eh? It's just a handle, I'm not a Texan. Thanks for the advice though?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Most of these places have waiting lists longer than your arm, they don't care if they turn someone off.

With a 25K initiation you must be referring to Hunt Club.
    The person who invited you as a guest should have brought you to the pro shop & outfitted you with the appropriate shorts. Problem solved.
    Agreed,but you know what?You can only do that so long before it catches up to you.Tell a buddy who then tells a buddy etc..

Thread Information