CorporateGolfXtra 2024
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road

OMG - What an Experience at a local private club

I won't mention which club it was, but it was private and no, its not clublink.

Arrived to play, as a guest of a new member. He was not aware of protocols because of his new membership.

Proceed to enter proshop, cross paths with woman in front of me who obviously opened the door just enough for her to slip through, leaving the door slammed in my face. Shrug it off as the way it is in Ottawa.

Tell the proshop I have arrived and want to pay my greenfee. response: you can't. I explain that there is a misunderstanding, i am not simply walking on trying to get out, I am a guest and want to pay my green fee. reponse: you can't, no explanation. Finally, the offer "we need Mr. X permission" (mr x is my friend, the new member) to allow YOU to pay YOUR green fees. Sheesh!

Ok, move onto range, when all of a sudden the ball boy comes over to my member friend telling him that the head pro wants to talk to him in his office. My friend comes out and tells me i can't wear cargo pants on the course. what a joke, so I have to buy new shorts, that are way overpriced.

Then, as I put the shorts on, they tell me I can't wear the socks I am wearing. Because I was wearing pants, I wore knee high socks, NOT ALLOWED. I then had to buy new ankle cut socks.

Makes you wonder... who is running the show? Time to get with it, its not 1965 anymore and Dorothy is no longer in Kansas.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    You are right it is absolutely Mr. X's fault.

"He was not aware of protocols because of his new membership."
    Back at it.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree it is his fault. If you were not aware that at a private club and proper attire is required your friend should have found out. I think it is pretty common knowledge but then again I have always worn cargo shorts to courses and never have been questioned. At such private clubs though I always wear my best "dress" shorts becuase it just makes sense. I am sure your friend felt bad and you will likely get invited again and again because of this mishap so it might work out in the end!! As for the snobbiness of the woman that slammed the door in your face, uh, no, this is not the way it is in Ottawa but may be more a function of "Private" club snobiness.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Be sure to write a letter explaining how you were considering purchasing a membership but are now taking your buisiness somewhere else after being treated like an inmate in a prison cell.Even if your buddy is a new member,it is still his duty to be aware of the rules,however to treat a potential customer like that makes no sense to me A simple warning would have been enough if you ask me.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

oh, i'm not blaming my friend, i'm laughing at how ridiculous it is that you can't wear knee high socks!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'm a little surprized at your decision to wear cargo pants to a private club........your buddy should have told you about the dress code but personally, I would have assumed that a dress code would be in effect.

I also agree leftylucas in that the "woman" that you met in the pro-shop is not representative of the way things are in Ottawa.

I also find it curious as to why the "Head Pro" was concerning himself with your state of dress. Why wouldn't the proshop staff have pointed that out to you???

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I'm a little surprized at your decision to wear cargo pants to a private club........

what's so wrong with cargo pants? They are pants with pockets in the side. its not like they were camaflouged, they were just pants, that's it, that's all. not like i had cut my jeans into shorts or anything. everybody is wearing them and they have been popular for decades...

I guess i will be sure to wear my pants with the nice little pleates in the front. then I will be sure to fit in!

I also agree leftylucas in that the "woman" that you met in the pro-shop is not representative of the way things are in Ottawa.
    It's funny, when I first moved to Ottawa 11 years ago I took time to hold doors open, but over the years, i often feel like a sucker for being a nice guy. most people don't even thank you and rarely do i ever have a door held open for me.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_world View Post
    It's funny, when I first moved to Ottawa 11 years ago I took time to hold doors open, but over the years, i often feel like a sucker for being a nice guy. most people don't even thank you and rarely do i ever have a door held open for me.
    That is unfortunate. I will always hold the door open for anyone who happens to be around when I'm entering a building and I almost always get thanked and the majority of the time they will hold the inner door open for me.

I guess we just frequent different establishments but in my experience people treat me with the same level of respect and decency that I extend to them............

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    what's so wrong with cargo pants? They are pants with pockets in the side. its not like they were camaflouged, they were just pants, that's it, that's all. not like i had cut my jeans into shorts or anything. everybody is wearing them and they have been popular for decades...

I guess i will be sure to wear my pants with the nice little pleates in the front. then I will be sure to fit in!
    First of all, yes it is your friends responsibility as a member to inform you of the protocols at his club, HOWEVER, it's pretty common knowledge that most, if not all private clubs require the traditional attire to be worn. Cargo pants do not fall into that category and neither do knee-high socks. You should be looking your best, if not only for yourself, but for your friend who is the member, and YES, your "pants with little pleats" are proper attire. I'm not sure why that's so surprising..

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    Be sure to write a letter explaining how you were considering purchasing a membership but are now taking your buisiness somewhere else after being treated like an inmate in a prison cell.Even if your buddy is a new member,it is still his duty to be aware of the rules,however to treat a potential customer like that makes no sense to me A simple warning would have been enough if you ask me.
    AGREED!

I'm a little surprized at your decision to wear cargo pants to a private club........
    If i ever wore cargo pants to a course my extended family are members of they would laugh at me and not even give me the oppurtunity to buy new pants they would just tell me to off and go play somewhere else... to some courses professionalism is a must, they need to maintain their course atmosphere.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    Be sure to write a letter explaining how you were considering purchasing a membership but are now taking your buisiness somewhere else.
    I must have missed the part where he was thinking of buying a membership.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    oh, i'm not blaming my friend, i'm laughing at how ridiculous it is that you can't wear knee high socks!
    You should write to them and thank them that they saved you from looking like a right tit in shorts, knee high socks and golf shoes...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    I must have missed the part where he was thinking of buying a membership.
    There was no part,but the point im making is that he could have been a potential buyer.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'm a little surprised that the new member wasn't aware of the dress code/guest procedure.

Most of the high end private clubs make these very clear to the membership when they join.

On the topic of socks. Had you been playing Royal Montreal in shorts, you would have been REQUIRED to wear knee high socks since their policy is slacks or knee high socks with shorts, i.e. no leg skin showing.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

I quess what im saying is if i treat a customer or potential customer like that where i work there would be no second chance...FIRED plain and simple.
    This could have been a 75 thousand plus membership fee?

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    You should write to them and thank them that they saved you from looking like a right tit in shorts, knee high socks and golf shoes...
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I'm a little surprised that the new member wasn't aware of the dress code/guest procedure.

Most of the high end private clubs make these very clear to the membership when they join.

On the topic of socks. Had you been playing Royal Montreal in shorts, you would have been REQUIRED to wear knee high socks since their policy is slacks or knee high socks with shorts, i.e. no leg skin showing.
    Next time just go dressed like the best dressed man in golf.

http://www.usga.org/aboutus/museum/w...ewart_1024.jpg
    Back at it.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    My point is just that I would not write such a letter unless I was really considering a membership, and really annoyed enough by the experience to reconsider. If I were going to pay an initiation of any size I'd expect a dress code, so this would not upset me at all.

Every time I have played a private course I have been informed of the dress code by my host without asking.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    Next time just go dressed like the best dressed man in golf.

http://www.usga.org/aboutus/museum/w...ewart_1024.jpg
    i looked all last year for knickers... but they are so damn expensive... maybe JV's wife will make me some

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    what's so wrong with cargo pants?
    Cargo pants are great, they're just not allowed at a number of private courses including Hunt Club & Rideauview. Neither are jeans, clothing with non-golf logo's, & speedo's. So what.
    Your buddy, the 'new member' should have known this & should have advised you of it.
    Although this may seem antiquated to some, it is essentially the membership that decides as a group what acceptable attire is. As Edmonton golfer mentioned, this is common at private courses. If you have a problem with it I'm sure they would be just as happy if you take your 'business' elsewhere.
    As far as people in Ottawa not holding doors for you - did you ever think maybe it's you and not everyone else?
    You should give your buddy sh*t for not telling you about the dress code though.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Though cargo pants are no biggy, most private clubs are "old boys" clubs.. So cargo pants are a no, no.. I have to agree with everyone else in saying your buddy should have warned you of the dress code. Or perhaps you could have done some research before hand. I know I had the privelage of playing the Hunt last year and before doing so I visited the website and read the dress code, and guest policies. One rule I noted that logos of anything other than golf related are not allowed..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

You should give your buddy sh*t for not telling you about the dress code though.
    As I said before, I agree that his buddy should have informed him, but I also think it should be common knowledge what to wear to a private golf club. I don't think all the blame should be put on his friend for educating him about common dress codes in golf, unless of course hello_world is new to golf.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    As far as people in Ottawa not holding doors for you - did you ever think maybe it's you and not everyone else?
    yeah, its me. Im so damn good looking that i scare everyone away and they probably are running inside because they don't know how to handle such a handsome gentleman.

gimme a break, believe me, I'm an east coaster, we are probably the nicest bunch of people in Canada, I hold doors, I'm polite, I'm respectful, just don't seem to have that returned back to me in ottawa. when i first moved up here, I would let cars enter at bottlenecks, I would let people cross at sidewalks, now, the damn upper canadian attitiudes have rubbed off on me and i don't bother anymore.

Believe me, visit Halifax and step onto a cross walk, cars will go out of there way to stop for you. here in ottawa? haha, you better have good insurance....

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    As I said before, I agree that his buddy should have informed him, but I also think it should be common knowledge what to wear to a private golf club. I don't think all the blame should be put on his friend for educating him about common dress codes in golf, unless of course hello_world is new to golf.
    I have played golf in so many places that I cannot count. i have NEVER been refused for wearing cargo pants. This is just an old school rule that needs to die and will once the old members are burried under and the new blood takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance LePage View Post
    Though cargo pants are no biggy, most private clubs are "old boys" clubs.. So cargo pants are a no, no.. I have to agree with everyone else in saying your buddy should have warned you of the dress code. Or perhaps you could have done some research before hand. I know I had the privelage of playing the Hunt last year and before doing so I visited the website and read the dress code, and guest policies. One rule I noted that logos of anything other than golf related are not allowed..
    I dunno Lance....Cargo pants are pretty relaxed and don't really look like golf attire in my opinion. They look more like something you'd wear on a sail boat or hiking. Bernard Langer looks like a donkey on the PGA when he wears the ones he does. He looks like some fan just jumped into the group and started to play.

I dunno Lance....Cargo pants are pretty relaxed and don't really look like golf attire in my opinion. They look more like something you'd wear on a sail boat or hiking. Bernard Langer looks like a donkey on the PGA when he wears the ones he does. He looks like some fan just jumped into the group and started to play.
    who cares? they are pants, they are comfortable, they are not insulting to anyone, they cause no harm. Even pros wear them on tour as you suggest...

how about cargo shorts? are they in the same category?

I have played golf in so many places that I cannot count. i have NEVER been refused for wearing cargo pants. This is just an old school rule that needs to die and will once the old members are burried under and the new blood takes over.
    I played at 7 different courses in Arizona this year that are all public and none of them allow cargo pants. Neither do the higher profile public courses here in Alberta. You're not getting on Jasper Park Lodge in cargo pants nor are you getting on Banff Springs and they are both vacation type areas.

I played at 7 different courses in Arizona this year that are all public and none of them allow cargo pants. Neither do the higher profile public courses here in Alberta. You're not getting on Jasper Park Lodge in cargo pants nor are you getting on Banff Springs and they are both vacation type areas.

never knew it was so uptight out west... wow. incredible.

who cares? they are pants, they are comfortable, they are not insulting to anyone, they cause no harm. Even pros wear them on tour as you suggest...

how about cargo shorts? are they in the same category?
    There's a dress code for a reason. It's been a part of golf since before any of us were born. It doesn't matter if they cause no harm or not...Jeans don't cause any harm either...Are you saying courses should allow people to wear them too?

The ONLY Pro in ANY tournament that's been on this year that has worn that style of pants is Langer, and he was scrutinized by the television commentators for it. Even Arnold Palmer said the game is losing respect because some amateurs are going around with their shirt tails not tucked in.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    EG I wouldn't wear Cargos personally.. Don't own any.. But that being said lots of ppl do and in this day and age you have to adapt to the times
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Thread Information