+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mental

Gap Wedge dcomartin is on a distinguished road dcomartin's Avatar

Mental

I have really been struggling with my game this season.

I started off by shooting better than the previous season. My first four 18 hole rounds were my four lowest scores to date (88, 89, 91, 87). My handicap at the start of the season was 18.1 and now is 16.3. So you might be asking, what is the problem?

I joined a league. Normally when I play, I am with close friends and it's the same few people I have golfed with my entire golfing life. Now I'm golfing with somewhat strangers and my game is horrible. My 9 hole league score as of late has been: 50, 51, 50, 47 and then last week I finally played good and shot 40.

After playing so bad in the league I thought my game was turning south, however I played with my usual friends and shot 87, then couple days ago shot 41 on a quick 9.

To sum this up, I play beyond horrible in my league with strangers. I believe I'm nervous and not calm and want to play good in front of people I don't know.

Any help?
    [B][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=Red][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Consider them friends. Get to know them, be friendly. But you have no reason to play well in front of them. If you hit a nice shot they'll say it. Go out have fun and relax.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree with Geoff, I also joined a league this year and although it is nerve wracking to play with "strangers" once you get to know them it will be more fun. I found, offly enough that my confidence actually increased with the league play because they let you know when you make a great shot whereas friends will not always acknowledge your good play. Keep at it because obviously your HC is going down and pretty quickly if you ask me, 2 points since April 15 is very good.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    What goes on in your mind goes on in their minds too.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Alain Robichaud
    You should try a playing lesson with a member of the canadian pga.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    Start playing for money with your friends. Not even a lot of money. Play for a dollar a hole or something. Put the pressure on yourself all the time. It makes playing with strangers (pressure) much easier....

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    At a buck a hole match play $8 is considered a huge loss. Still, it's just enough to feel it for most people! You do get used to preassure and it starts to feel like playing for nothing is kinda pointless and boring. It definately helps you enjoy competition.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

We played the wolf a while ago for a buck a hole...One of the four of us wasn't quite up to the level of the rest of the golfers. We played it better ball...2 foot putts to half a hole, or win it suddenly become much more difficult...The biggest winner on the day made $6 and the bigggest loser lost $8. Not much money but it sure adds excitement.

Gap Wedge john dunigan is on a distinguished road
    This is going to sound crazy, but if you want to play well, you have to stop trying to play well and just focus on making one good swing at a time and count 'em up at the end. Focus on the score, or not missing, or any other such distraction creates undue nerves instead of excitement at the challenge and most importantly, takes focus off of what you need to do to score.

That's a little cryptic, but it is the essence of competitive golf.

John

John definitely has the secret there. Try to hit the shot you have to hit. Think about what you want to happen right now. Don't bother worrying about your score. Think about the shot you need to make now!

Thanks. I think I realized this myself but good to hear the reenforcement. I need to start thinking about the shot I'm about to take and thats it. Shot by shot. Give it a try next round.
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    it's all about getting out of your comfort zone. It's easy to play with friends and easy to play the same course or courses all the time.

Playing with strangers, especially good golfers can be intimidating. Add to that the competitiveness of a league or tournament and it can be down right nervewracking. The good news is, like anything, it gets easier the more you do it.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Some of my thoughts about playing with new people is first try to swing with rythm and balance rather then impress your new playing partners with your distance from the tee. It's nice to hear people say nice swing and it really doesn't help you hitting really deep into the trees and ballooning your score up just to show you can really pound the ball. Also don't be afraid to beat your new opponents on any one hole by a couple of strokes, If they wind up with a triple Bogey and your sitting there with a par putt buy all means try to make that putt and don't worry about their feelings about being out played on that hole. They just may come back on the next hole and beat you, so don't give away strokes trying to be a sensitive kind of guy. Most people like to see someone shoot a nice round so always give it your best.

Well my new routine worked... or it did for one week anyways. I played in my league last night and shot 39 (par 36). First time breaking 40.

I started using a pre-shot routine and thinking about the shot at hand and nothing else. Stand behind the ball, take a couple practice strokes, look where I want to hit the ball, then find a piece of grass or something close to ball and aim at that. Setup and then swing. No thoughts about bad shots, just confidence. And if I hit a bad shot, let it go and prepare for the next one.

Looking back at my game it is odd that I shot 3 over because I did not play extremely well, or so I thought. I've come to the conclusion as most already know, that short game is everything. I only hit 4 GIR's and hit water off a drive that cost me bogey. My Chipping and putting was on the money.

Thanks for the help, hopefully it continues in the right direction.
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by john dunigan View Post
    This is going to sound crazy, but if you want to play well, you have to stop trying to play well and just focus on making one good swing at a time and count 'em up at the end. Focus on the score, or not missing, or any other such distraction creates undue nerves instead of excitement at the challenge and most importantly, takes focus off of what you need to do to score.

That's a little cryptic, but it is the essence of competitive golf.

John
    This is usually really hard for me to do, but last night I wasn't marking the card, and I had no idea I shot 39 until someone added it up after we finished. I wasn't even paying attention or keep track in my head what I was shooting. I believe not focusing on my score helped.
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]

You might find it helpful to not write numbers down. I went from writing 4,5,6,7, etc on the card to keeping track of Fairways, Greens In Regulation, Putts, and + \- for bogeys, pars etc. It made it easier for me to forget about my score somehow...

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I'm the same way when it comes to that , if i'm concious of what i'm scoring or my potential score will be i tend to forget my game , and usually make a mess of the finishing holes ... except for the last time i played , i was -1 (over nine holes) with two to play , and my way of thinking started out "the worst you can be is +3 after nine" , then i snapped out of it and told myself to just enjoy it . I birdied the next and then parred the last taking my best ever score of -2 after 9 holes. I was a 13 handicapper at that point and now play off 12 thanks to that round.
    I guess what i'm trying to tell you is just enjoy the course and your company and most of all the fact that you're playing the sport you love , and it will be alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcomartin View Post
    This is usually really hard for me to do, but last night I wasn't marking the card, and I had no idea I shot 39 until someone added it up after we finished. I wasn't even paying attention or keep track in my head what I was shooting. I believe not focusing on my score helped.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    how about just painting a picture in your mind on every shot of what the outcome you desire to be should be like when getting over every shot? even putts.

could it be that simple?

at worst you know what to work on, at best, 3-4 times a round youve suceeded as planned and even on the iffy shots, it still went ok.....

isnt that golf?

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    It really is about hitting the current shot. That's all you can do - plan and execute the current shot. I am getting better at not worrying about score. I can do it for 9 - I have had a couple of 9's where my partners will say "wow, you shot a 39" and I will be surprised. But can't keep my mind off the card for 18 yet!

Watched the tail end of the Senior US Open today and there was Brad Bryant (the winner) adding up his card in the scoring trailer and he asks "68, is that right?" like he had no clue. Goes to show what these guys are really paying attention to.
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I've read all of the above--lots of good comments etc. I just have to wonder how good we as recreational golfers we can become? We all start later in life, we play on for the most part on lesser maintained courses, we dont practice as much, we dont have coaches etc etc etc but we all want to be better----better is good, but how much better?

Personally I look at a game as a social occasion. I enjoy meeting new people on the course and playing with them., I know I will never drive a ball like Geoff or drop chips like Indio but when I am relaxed and having fun---that's when I play my best. Last week shot my best games ever 85 at Whitetail and 86 at Mont Pellier and played with stangers----did not try to impress so I didn't think---maybe that had something to do with it! Silly game.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

depends on how good you want to be vs the digging it out of the dirt you are ready to consume....

the secret to golf is quite simple. dig it out of the dirt. and i mean cat sized divots. few are so lucky as to have a natural talent for the game. but we can all find ways to get better. blood sweat and tears will go along way and a tload of patience!

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I hear ya, this has happenned to me a lot since joining this board, I totally unbeleivably suck the minute I shake hands. I shot a 110 last year and smiled (sort of lol) through the whole thing. The only thing worse than being the excuse making hopeless hacker is being the disgruntled excuse making hopeless hacker.

I'm getting over it. IMO You wouldn't be a golfer if you didn't want to bring at least some kind of game with you whereever you go.

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    I'm struggling with my game in general. 1 round I will be hitting the greens well, next round my long game is doing well, usually my putting holds up. Yet I haven't been scoring anywhere near what I was at the start of the season. My driving has been an issue and that might be throwing off my confidence. My greens in regulation aren't what they should be.

Everytime I walk up to the ball I'm thinking way to much. I also play to fast, don't line up or really put thought into the shot at hand.

I know these things yet I tend to continue having trouble focussing on the shot in hand, instead of my game in general. I shorten my swing, I change my stance. choke up on the club.

All these things can and will be corrected with time. I am relatively new to the game. Well at least going to the course to play golf rather then run away from work and have a few beers LOL

Like everything in life, mental, confidence and discipline all come into it.
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

bullet, you are putting needless pressure on your short game because of your driving issues....

go to the range and find ONE type of shot you can hit all day long with your driver, bring that to the course next time out. all day.

no matter the dogleg, just stick to that low fade or high cut. It doesnt have to look pretty and controlled both ways, it just needs to let you have a go at the green with your forté game.

When i get up to the plate, there is not much going on anymore in me noodle, its all systems go, of course i have my driver off days and it sucks, but confidence in the bigdog gos along long way.

Well week #2 with my new strategy and pre-shot routine. I would say it is a success. I started horribly.

#1 - Par 4 - Double
    #2 - Par 3 - Bogey
    #3 - Par 5 - Quad

You would think +7 over after the first 3 holes I would have played bad the rest of the round. Well with some new focus on playing the current shot:

#4 - Par 4 - Bogey
    #5 - Par 4 - Par
    #6 - Par 5 - Birdie
    #7 - Par 3 - Par
    #8 - Par 4 - Par
    #9 - Par 4 - Bogey

So the next 6 holes I played at +1. Gatta love this game.
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]

Thread Information