CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Nudged the ball on the tee.

On the Tee, If a player nudged the ball during a practice swing does that count as a stroke? There was no intent to hit the ball. The ball fell of the tee and traveled sideways about a foot.

Thanks
    Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I don't think so. If I remember correctly, even if he's addressed the ball and nudges it off, there is no penalty stroke. That's what I got out of one of the recent conversations on here anyway.

I’m aware that if you touch the ball at address and the ball falls off the tee there is not penalty. What I’m wondering is does a practice swing count as a stroke if you accidentally hit the ball on the tee. It does count if the ball is in play like on the green or in the fairway but does it count on the tee??

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    replace ball and fire away. no penalty
    11-3. Ball Falling Off Tee If a ball, when not in play, falls off a tee or is knocked off a tee by the player in addressing it, it may be re-teed without penalty. However, if a stroke is made at the ball in these circumstances, whether the ball is moving or not, the stroke counts but there is no penalty.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    replace ball and fire away. no penalty
    11-3. Ball Falling Off Tee If a ball, when not in play, falls off a tee or is knocked off a tee by the player in addressing it, it may be re-teed without penalty. However, if a stroke is made at the ball in these circumstances, whether the ball is moving or not, the stroke counts but there is no penalty.
    It's amazing how many dullards shout "ONE" when a ball falls off a tee. Just goes to show how wrong (and unfunny) they are...

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    R&A Decision: 18-2a/19
    Ball Moved Accidentally by Practice Swing Prior to Tee Shot

Question:
    Before playing from the teeing ground, a player took a practice swing, in the course of which he accidentally struck and moved the teed ball with his club. Did the player play a stroke or incur a penalty?

Answer:
    The player did not make a stroke – see Definition of “Stroke”. Since the ball was not in play – see Definition of “Ball in Play” – he incurred no penalty under Rule 18-2a. The player must put a ball into play from the teeing ground.

www.randa.org
    Back at it.

Also, I was once of the green doing practice swings for a chip and accidentally toed the ball sideways, as I was replacing my ball my FCs complained, asking what the hell I was doing, I told them as I had not addressed the ball and had no intention of hitting it I could replace it, no penalty, they didn't believe me . Is this correct? or does it just apply to teeing ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    Also, I was once of the green doing practice swings for a chip and accidentally toed the ball sideways, as I was replacing my ball my FCs complained, asking what the hell I was doing, I told them as I had not addressed the ball and had no intention of hitting it I could replace it, no penalty, they didn't believe me . Is this correct? or does it just apply to teeing ground?
    Decision: 18-2a/20
    Ball in Play Moved Accidentally by Practice Swing

Question:
    A player makes a practice swing and accidentally moves his ball in play with his club. Has he made a stroke?

Answer:
    No. He had no intention of moving the ball – see Definition of “Stroke”.
    However, he incurs a penalty stroke under Rule 18-2a for moving his ball in play, and the ball must be replaced.
    Back at it.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    Half correct.

You should have assessed a penalty stroke for moving a ball which is in play.

You were correct to replace the ball since you had not moved it with a stroke.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by started2k3
    Decision: 18-2a/20
    Ball in Play Moved Accidentally by Practice Swing

Question:
    A player makes a practice swing and accidentally moves his ball in play with his club. Has he made a stroke?

Answer:
    No. He had no intention of moving the ball – see Definition of “Stroke”.
    However, he incurs a penalty stroke under Rule 18-2a for moving his ball in play, and the ball must be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Half correct.

You should have assessed a penalty stroke for moving a ball which is in play.

You were correct to replace the ball since you had not moved it with a stroke.
    Opps, should have added on a stroke, I will know next time if it ever happens again. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    R&A Decision: 18-2a/19
    Ball Moved Accidentally by Practice Swing Prior to Tee Shot

Question:
    Before playing from the teeing ground, a player took a practice swing, in the course of which he accidentally struck and moved the teed ball with his club. Did the player play a stroke or incur a penalty?

Answer:
    The player did not make a stroke – see Definition of “Stroke”. Since the ball was not in play – see Definition of “Ball in Play” – he incurred no penalty under Rule 18-2a. The player must put a ball into play from the teeing ground.

www.randa.org
    TY, that's what I wanted to know.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    TY, that's what I wanted to know.
    No problem.

Take note of the R&A website, because the decisions book can pretty much answer any question that comes up.

Note that some decisions are USGA only, but I think these are harmonized later between R&A and USGA.
    Back at it.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    O.K. now what if the person on the putting green had his marker still behind the ball and took a practice swing with the putter and touched the ball? would that be a different story since his ball marker hasn't been picked up so as to put the ball in play? Man I'm glad I don't take practice strokes near the ball .

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Once your ball is back on the green it is in play, regardless of where the coin is. So no it would not be any different.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    if the ball is back in play, what happens if you place your ball, wait a second and then it roll back, forward, sideways, etc before you picked your coin up? I always thought it wasn't in play until the coin was picked up. by the logic above, it would be a penalty.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure following section of 20-1 applies here.

If a ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved in the process of lifting the ball under a Rule or marking its position, the ball or ball-marker must be replaced. There is no penalty provided the movement of the ball or ball-marker is directly attributable to the specific act of marking the position of or lifting the ball. Otherwise, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke under this Rule or Rule 18-2a.
    Since the practice putting stroke is not part of the act of marking, lifting, or replacing the ball then I think you get a penalty.

I couldn't find anything in the decisions that covered this.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thread Information