100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron JoeldMtl is on a distinguished road

Alignment to target

How do you ensure that your body is aligned to the target?

I was having a terrible front 9 today, when one of my friends noticed that I was not aligning to my target. So I tried the old method of laying a club down on the ground pointing to my target and then lining up my feet to that club – Presto, shots started going straight, height improved … etc.

But obviously I can’t keep putting a club on the ground for alignment. So what tricks do you use to align yourself to your target?

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    My buddy has the same issue as you do. He's always aligned to the right of where he wants to hit.

I don't really have a "trick" perse. I just stand behind the ball, look to where I want to hit it, pick out a target a few feet in front of the ball that lines up with my target, then I put the club down first, and step in with my feet after. It seems to work fine for me. I think if you step in first before putting your club behind the ball, you might end up misaligned more than not.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    My buddy has the same issue as you do. He's always aligned to the right of where he wants to hit.

I don't really have a "trick" perse. I just stand behind the ball, look to where I want to hit it, pick out a target a few feet in front of the ball that lines up with my target, then I put the club down first, and step in with my feet after. It seems to work fine for me. I think if you step in first before putting your club behind the ball, you might end up misaligned more than not.

Hope that helps.

I do the same thing you do. I pick a point just ahead of the ball, align my club to it, but according to my friend I don't align my feet correctly. Can't figure out why - but i have the same trouble aligning putts. Can't align putts the side. I have to have a line on the ball or pick a spot just ahead of the ball. Maybe it's something with my eyesight.

7 Iron hkypuk is on a distinguished road
    I fight the same problem-damn right eye dominance!!

On the course I too set up by picking an intermediate target, set the club face down square to the target with my LH,then Rh with two feet together square to the club and to the target, then left foot forward and finally right.

On the range I always lay a club down parallel to to my intended target which carries over into my course game..

Quote Originally Posted by hkypuk View Post
    I fight the same problem-damn right eye dominance!!

....... then left foot forward and finally right......
    I haven't tried that last it - stepping out from feet together - maybe that will work. I'll give it a try on Monday. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks

Pitching Wedge hoylake is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeldMtl View Post
    How do you ensure that your body is aligned to the target?

I was having a terrible front 9 today, when one of my friends noticed that I was not aligning to my target. So I tried the old method of laying a club down on the ground pointing to my target and then lining up my feet to that club – Presto, shots started going straight, height improved … etc.

But obviously I can’t keep putting a club on the ground for alignment. So what tricks do you use to align yourself to your target?

For alignment purposes, I think the feet are oversold. Your feet can be open, closed, perfectly square, from all three stances you can align true or be aiming at Mars. It's not the feet it's the thighs. In the address position lay a club across the thighs, where the club points is where you are aiming. If the thighs square up, the hips and shoulders want to follow. Weir, at one time, used this trick in tournament play, at address he would check his alignment by laying a club across his thighs. Best trick going IMO...

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Excellent point hoylake, also once you do this and see that you are aligned (make sure your shoulders are also in line with the thighs, then look at where you think your aimed, you might feel like you are way open, this is the feeling you have to remember every time you set up.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by hoylake View Post
    For alignment purposes, I think the feet are oversold. Your feet can be open, closed, perfectly square, from all three stances you can align true or be aiming at Mars. .

I agree with this as well.
    The feet don't need to be square to hit the ball straight to your target, Freddie is a great example of that. For an intermediate player its an effective way to get hips and shoulders square to the target. I find that if I don't pay attention to my feet being square(foot can flare after initial stance) that my swing plane gradually begins to change after a few rounds..but again find whats best for you.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    For alignment purposes, I think the feet are oversold. Your feet can be open, closed, perfectly square, from all three stances you can align true or be aiming at Mars. It's not the feet it's the thighs.
    I frequently play with a forum member whose ball starts on his shoulder line, regardless of where his feet and thighs are aimed. If the shoulders are too open for example, the club will likely start back along this line and return along this line coming down. Squaring up the upper body will do more for consistency that squaring up the lower.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    This is all good and dandy but the problem could lie elsewhere i.e faulty grip,late release and on and on. You could be aligned perfectly and still hit it crooked.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    I frequently play with a forum member whose ball starts on his shoulder line, regardless of where his feet and thighs are aimed. If the shoulders are too open for example, the club will likely start back along this line and return along this line coming down. Squaring up the upper body will do more for consistency that squaring up the lower.
    Weir lays the club across his thighs because he knows if the thighs are square, the hips and shoulders are comparatively easy to align. It's not lower body vs upper body, by squaring the thighs you get to have both.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Excellent point hoylake, also once you do this and see that you are aligned (make sure your shoulders are also in line with the thighs, then look at where you think your aimed, you might feel like you are way open, this is the feeling you have to remember every time you set up.
    Thanks Lefty and you are 100% correct -- if you have been set up improperly, a properly aligned stance will feel really strange for a while.

check his alignment by laying a club across his thighs. Best trick going IMO...
    I'll have to try this when practicing..

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    The only important thing is to make sure the face of the club runs down the target line during your swing. Your feet can point one way, your shoulders another. The clubface is key...

That being said I as well go with the intermediate target...and then I try to keep the clubhead on line...which is of course easier with proper upper and lower body positioning...

Quote Originally Posted by harbacostal View Post
    The only important thing is to make sure the face of the club runs down the target line during your swing. Your feet can point one way, your shoulders another. The clubface is key......

True, but as you said in the rest of your posting, keeping the face of the club running along the target line is much easier if your aligned along said target line. Otherwise you tend to get a fade or a draw, depending on your stance/swing path.

Yes that can happen for sure. In fact if I feel like I have any kind of control over my swing at the range I try to hit one of each with each club...draw, the dreaded straight ball, fade....

I try to "feel" what each swing feels like...

In the address position lay a club across the thighs, where the club points is where you are aiming. If the thighs square up, the hips and shoulders want to follow. Weir, at one time, used this trick in tournament play, at address he would check his alignment by laying a club across his thighs. Best trick going IMO...
    There is no way that you can ACCURATELY tell where you are aligned by looking at a club resting on your thighs. To be accurate you need to sight down the length of the club - impossible from the address position.

Lob Wedge runner is on a distinguished road
    Two things I use that help me. On the tee, I always put my tee about 10" in front of a clear marking on the the, like a broken tee; thus I have a stright line to set up to. Then I have a tendency to be open ; look at your knees, you should see exactly the same amount of each foot; if you dont you are open or closed. That is all legal.

Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    Two things I use that help me. On the tee, I always put my tee about 10" in front of a clear marking on the the, like a broken tee; thus I have a stright line to set up to. Then I have a tendency to be open ; look at your knees, you should see exactly the same amount of each foot; if you dont you are open or closed. That is all legal.

Where you put your tee is irrelevant if your club face is not square to that" clear marking" or intermediate target. You can easily approach that mark "offline'. You still risk being misaligned.

I also disagree with the person who made mention of a club face "running" down a target line. W here the club face makes impact is the key. I think a club face that runs down a target line resuts in a "steer" or fade/slice or pull.

Obviously where the club face makes impact is the most important part of it. The question is how do you get it there? The feeling that I try to have is that I am "running" it down the target line. Another thing I do in the preshot routine is rehearse the impact position of the golf club. So that I can "feel" where it should end up at impact....

Obviously where the club face makes impact is the most important part of it. The question is how do you get it there? The feeling that I try to have is that I am "running" it down the target line. Another thing I do in the preshot routine is rehearse the impact position of the golf club. So that I can "feel" where it should end up at impact....
    If getting the feeling of "running it (club face) down the target line" gets you the desired results, then it's good for you. However, neither the club face nor the hands/arms combination do or should go down the line. In fact, for most golfers, trying to do this will lead to shots that go right and sometimes, over compensations where the ball goes left.

The truth is that for the club face to be squared, the hands arms go left before impact. The assumption is that the hands/arms have started back and down correctly. Many golfers also believe that the squaring of the club face occurs because of the timing of hand movement or "release" and is a learned skill. Again, the truth is that the wrists must be held in the flat left, bent right position for as long as possible, while the arms move on plane, LEFT of the golfer. While the arms are moving left, the club head is moving out to the ball on an inside path. Seems contradictory, but it's not. Maximum power and accuracy are achieved this way.

That's why you "have to swing crooked, to hit the ball straight."

I agree with BC Mist.
    To me where the face of the club is at the time of impact determines where the ball will start(on line or square,left ,right) and the plane of your swing allows you to return the face to that square position. If the face was to then follow that line your ball will deviate off the targetline. If the face and the body (shoulders,hips and feet) are misaligned from then you dramatically reduce your chance of hitting the ball square to your target consistently.

Some will argue that the feet don't need be square. This may be true for the experienced player who has grooved a highly repeatable and consistent swing. This may also be true for the "natural" athlete.

As for me, I'll stick to the fundamentals I was taught and practice,practice,practice.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    ...... LEFT of the golfer. While the arms are moving left, the club head is moving out to the ball on an inside path. Seems contradictory, but it's not. Maximum power and accuracy are achieved this way.

That's why you "have to swing crooked, to hit the ball straight."
    I'm a confused by your explanation. Should the golfer be facing the ball when his arms swing to the left; or should he be slightly roatated towards the target when his arms are left of him?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeldMtl View Post
    I'm a confused by your explanation. Should the golfer be facing the ball when his arms swing to the left; or should he be slightly roatated towards the target when his arms are left of him?
    For a traditional swing the lower body will be somewhat rotated to the left. While not everyone will agree, the connection between the upper left arm and the upper left chest, will help cause the hands/arms to go left. Many golfers who have tried to move the hands left have ended up pulling the ball because they allow the shoulders to help move the arms left. One must still "see" the club head coming into the ball from the inside while at the same time "see" the arms going left. If there is a key, it is to NOT extend down the line. If one does not, then the arms move almost naturally to the left, correctly, as long as the connection is maintained..

I have made an isosceles triangle device where the vertex of the two equal sides is placed close to the golfers side of the ball. The two sides come into the ball on angles approximating 25*, (like this ^).

Turn around your spine over a stable base?

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    The trick is to practice it on the driving range. I hade the same problem in the past. Stepping in with my body would move my hands and the blade. My alignment was off as soon as my body came in to position.

To fix this, at the driving range, I set a club on the ground like you did on the course. Pointed the shaft just inside of the 100Y marker. Dropped a ball, backed up and picked a spot in front just like my routine when playing. I set the club at the ball then set my stance. When I’m in position to hit I check to se if my feet, knees, hip, shoulders and club head are parallel to the shaft on the ground. If they are not I start over.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I do sanity check on the range sometimes, especially when I'm having a rough time, to make sure I'm squarish, throw a club down on the ground parrallel to the target line. Like I heard Furyk say on tv, it takes your alignment out of the equation.

SOme ranges have scewed rope lines, this can really play with my head some times. WIth alignment and swing plane, or swing path whatever.

It's good to be square

One of my personal favourites is when the tee blocks point in the wrong direction. You get a nice subliminal suggestion that you are facing the wrong way...

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Interesting read/theories. I may be off base here, as well off line, but since going to golf school the last three winters I have become a big fan of the mirror. It tells no lies. So whether it is your shoulders, hips, thighs or something else, you'd do well to get in front of a full length mirror and do your usual set up. I used this method recently as some of my golf partners were saying that I was teeing the ball up too far forward, thus a high launch angle. I could not see it for myself but with a T square and a mirror I saw what was going on. At the least you will see whether you body/feet are in line, and if not you can either adjust your stance or line up your club accordingly. For me practice makes perfect. If you can correct your stance, groove it in other words, then it should come naturally on the course. Saves time putting that club down and picking it up again. Can't find a big enough mirror? I reused a wide bathroom mirror from a recent reno, framed it and hung it up in the basement. Also works good for the weight work-outs in the winter to maintain your form. Hope this helps.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    One of my personal favourites is when the tee blocks point in the wrong direction. You get a nice subliminal suggestion that you are facing the wrong way...
    Ya, that sucks, how doews that happen anyhow? On rare occasion if they are really bad I'll just change them. I'm such an outlaw lol...

Thread Information