CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Muckler Fired!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar

Muckler Fired!

Not a whole lot of news yet, but Mucks fired, Murray the GM and will look for a new coach.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211178&hubname=

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Excellent
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    perhaps the worst kept secret in ottawa the past few days.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Any thoughts as to Murray's first move as GM? Trade Redden & Preissing perhaps?
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Preissing is a free agent. no need to trade him and I don't think they will get him re-signed.

I think the following are quite possible:

Redden or Corvo gets traded
    Gerber gets traded

Highly likely:

Comrie does not get resigned
    Preissing does not get resigned
    McAmmond gets resigned

hmmmm...just noticed that resign and re-sign are virtually opposites but spelled amost identically!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    McAmmond gets resigned
    I think McAmmond got a 2 year extension this weekend.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    McAmmond was resigned.

I think they will try to move Redden and keep Corvo and Preissing. Gerber needs to go too.

I would like to see Comrie stay.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I think McAmmond got a 2 year extension this weekend.
    so I'm 1 for 1

I was out of town but that is good to see.....

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    McAmmond was resigned.

I think they will try to move Redden and keep Corvo and Preissing. Gerber needs to go too.

I would like to see Comrie stay.
    Ottawa won't pay Comrie anything close to 3M and especially to play on the 3rd line. someone else will pay him that to play on the 2nd line. I'm sure he will take the money and run.

he was good in the regular season and I know he was injured but he was useless after the first round.

just think, be getting rid of redden and gerber, that's about $10M to spend.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    corvo and preissing should stay. redden will go. gerber will go. If we get anything decent in return for those two, Murray will have proven he's the man for the job

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Don't be too quick on Redden, he has a No Trade clause, so he'd have to OK any deal - that always tends to tie the hands of the GM who is trying to move the player

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    For one who does not profess to have an in depth understanding of the NHL, could someone explain to me why Muckler was dropped? He seemed like a particularly knowledgeable hockey man, and his team's record this year cerainly wasn't too shabby at all. Would he have been shown the door even if the Sens had won the Cup? Does his departure relate to the players who have previously been drafted by the team and who are now seen as liabilities for which the GM must assume responsibility?
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    For one who does not profess to have an in depth understanding of the NHL, could someone explain to me why Muckler was dropped?
    When a GM gets fired when the team has a good record and makes a good showing in the playoff it's usually the result of some kind of head office conflict.

Could either be a disagreement with Melnyk directly or with Murray, which forces Melnyk to chose between Muckler or Murray.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    When a GM gets fired when the team has a good record and makes a good showing in the playoff it's usually the result of some kind of head office conflict.

Could either be a disagreement with Melnyk directly or with Murray, which forces Melnyk to chose between Muckler or Murray.
    Well said, and Murray interacts with the players on a more personal level day to day, so perhaps keeping him around would be a popular move with the players.

I think Ottawa should get rid of Redden and Gerber because they're taking up a lot of salary room, but there are a few others who I don't think belong on the team if they want to win a Stanley Cup next year.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    They are reporting on TSN that Melynk told Mucks that he wanted Gary Roberts on his team..........Mucks didn't get that done. Also, Melynk really likes Murray and sees him in his long term picture - Mucks had only had one year left

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Melnyk , told Muckler to get Roberts at the trade deadline , muckler obviously didn't because he didn't think that Roberts was worth a 1st round pick in 2007 , although rumours have it that Jaques Martin refused to deal with Muckler because It was Muckler that fired him, anyway Melnyk was less than impressed by the outcome of the Roberts deal/no deal .
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    For one who does not profess to have an in depth understanding of the NHL, could someone explain to me why Muckler was dropped? He seemed like a particularly knowledgeable hockey man, and his team's record this year cerainly wasn't too shabby at all. Would he have been shown the door even if the Sens had won the Cup? Does his departure relate to the players who have previously been drafted by the team and who are now seen as liabilities for which the GM must assume responsibility?
    I think the main reasoning for the move is the fact that Muckler, though he has helped build a great team, is too attached to his lineup. He has shown on a few occasions that he is very reluctant to give up players in order to acquire new ones. The Sens need some fresh faces, and Muckler is just too attached to the ones he has. Also, I think they realized that they could use a change behind the bench, but realized that Murray also deserved a reward for his coaching efforts. Keep in mind, Murray is the GM who brought in Perry and Getzlaf in Anaheim and made a few of the other moves that put Anaheim past Ottawa. He knows what he's doing as a GM. I can't wait to see who they bring in as their coach.

I think Muckler's record as a GM was uneven at best. The core players on the team, except for Heatly, predate Muckler's term. Drafting and player development have not been great, he's not been adept at working out trades and the ones that he has made (Havlat) look pretty one sided the other way. Again, excepting the Hossa-Heatly deal, which I'm not sure is better than a 60% win for the Sens as Heatly doesn't seem to do anything in the playoffs either. He's just cheaper, which definitely counts for something.

The tension was brewing last year and to me it seemed that it really broke out into the open when Murray and Muckler contradicted each other over dealing with Hasek. Remember at the end of the season, Murray said there was no way Hasek would come back and Muckler basically told the press Murray should mind his own business. That seemed to set up a situation where it was going to be one or the other, and when Murray coached them to the cup against a team he had helped build as a GM, he held all the cards.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    I can say with much confidence that Redden will play his next NHL game in Alberta. As for Gerber, he is gone for the first decent offer we get.

I think Preissing will be back though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Any thoughts as to Murray's first move as GM? Trade Redden & Preissing perhaps?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I can't wait to see who they bring in as their coach.
    I would have bet money on Claude Julien until Boston signed him.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I would have bet money on Claude Julien until Boston signed him.
    It should be Paddock if there's any justice. The players love him, and he's got NHL head coaching experience. He deserves the chance.

I would either package Emery and Redden and get an "A" level defenceman, and then go after Giguerre, OR package Gerber and Redden and go after a defenceman, and sign Sean Burke as your backup. Then use the money saved to go out and get Drury or Gomez.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    I would either package Emery and Redden and get an "A" level defenceman, and then go after Giguerre, OR package Gerber and Redden and go after a defenceman, and sign Sean Burke as your backup. Then use the money saved to go out and get Drury or Gomez.
    I think they should give Emery a chance to prove himself. He is still learning and I think what he went through will help him. As for Gerber, who in their right mind is going to pay that kind of money? Unless Ottawa eats some of his huge salary, he might be the backup again next year.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    Melnyk , told Muckler to get Roberts at the trade deadline , muckler obviously didn't because he didn't think that Roberts was worth a 1st round pick in 2007 , although rumours have it that Jaques Martin refused to deal with Muckler because It was Muckler that fired him, anyway Melnyk was less than impressed by the outcome of the Roberts deal/no deal .
    Yes the Team 1200 was reporting that Melnyk told Mucks to get Roberts and when he did not he was summoned by Melnyk for a meeting on what happened.

Yes the rumour that has been circulating since prior to the playoffs was that Jacques Martin did not want to deal with the guy who fired him.

However, heard on the Team 1200 today that this rumour has tarnished the reputation of Jacques Martin and what is now coming out of the "Martin camp" is that both Muckler and Roy Mlaker were not reachable on their phones at the trade deadline. This is very interesting...................????

Also, will see how long Mlaker sticks around as he is very loyal to the man (Muckler) who hired him in the hockey business as a 19 year old...............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    They might be able to move Gerber to St. Louis, Los Angeles, or Phoenix. Maybe even Florida. Ottawa will eat some salary somewhere in the deal, I'm sure.

Preissing is apparently miffed with sitting for much of the last two games and is looking elsewhere. I figure there's more there than that but it looks like he's gone. Comrie is too expensive to stay.

Redden to Edmonton looks like a sure thing if internet forums are right. We'll see. Looks like Lupul and something else for him. I'd love to get Jason Smith rather than Lupul (who, coincidentally, Murray drafted - weird, weird, weird).

Schubert will be a regular on D next season.

Emery will be the starting goalie. I have no idea who will back-up.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    While Muckler and Murray said all the right things, they were not getting along. Melnyk had to make a choice and Muckler is gone. Melnyk wanted Roberts at any cost and was p.o.ed that Muckler didn't get him. Martin tried to stick it to Ottawa and Muckler won't pay what Martin was asking. Martin ended up screwing himself because they ended up getting less for Roberts than Ottawa would have paid. There were a couple of trades or non trades that Muckler and Murray did not see eye to eye on.

However, there were other “things” going on that may or may not come out in the press later. But don’t be surprised to see a number of changes this summer.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Larry,

Can you elaborate on what these "things" are?

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    While Muckler and Murray said all the right things, they were not getting along. Melnyk had to make a choice and Muckler is gone. Melnyk wanted Roberts at any cost and was p.o.ed that Muckler didn't get him. Martin tried to stick it to Ottawa and Muckler won't pay what Martin was asking. Martin ended up screwing himself because they ended up getting less for Roberts than Ottawa would have paid. There were a couple of trades or non trades that Muckler and Murray did not see eye to eye on.

However, there were other “things” going on that may or may not come out in the press later. But don’t be surprised to see a number of changes this summer.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Redden has a no trade clause. He loves Ottawa and probably wants to stay there. Why in the world would he go to Edmonton? He might agree to a trade to his hometown of Vancouver.

Gerber: Sens could probably trade him and eat part of his salary...

Redden is from Lloydminster Sask, not Vancouver. Hence the trade to EDM since it is not that far from his home town and part of the Oilers ownership is from Lloydminster. Yes, he has a no trade clause but would likely waive it if he went to a team from the west, preferrably EDM especially since his mom died last year....

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Edmonton doesn't want Redden. He's overpriced and we are shopping for expensive forwards, not a useless donkey who gives the puck away all game. Lupol isn't going anywhere either, but wouldn't it be fitting, a donkey for a donkey.

Thread Information