CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar

Elbow pain? Check your grip size!

Thought I would share this one in case others have it.

I've generally always liked somewhat bigger grips so when I regripped at the start of the season I put midsize grips on all my clubs. They felt really comfortable in my hands and I was playing really well with them.

However, over the course of the season I started to feel a chronic pain in my right elbow. Not enough to not play but it was getting worse. This is the first time I've ever had this.

So, a trip to the Golfworks to pick up some Lamkin Dual Density grips, a trip to the basement to cut the midsize grips off, and a week of no practice or mid week golf.

Bingo, elbow pain is gone.

So, if you're experiencing elbow pain, don't rule out incorrect grip size as the cause.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    My doc mentioned that to me also---apparently it all has something to do with how you grip something while swinging a hammer etc etc etc.; it all causes a different pull on the tendon. It has been almost 9 monthes since mine started and it's still there---not as bad tho. Do me a favor and see if you feel any pain when you press down anywhere on the top of your elbow---if you do you still have a certain amount of tendon damage. I have been icing after each game and wearing a brace---its slowly getting better---everyone said I would have been better off with a broken arm than this! Oh well, c'est la vie
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Do me a favor and see if you feel any pain when you press down anywhere on the top of your elbow---if you do you still have a certain amount of tendon damage.
    Thankfully no pain if I do that. I think I caught it early enough that it was still just at the annoying stage.

I think not hitting balls for a week also helped. Didn't help my score mind you, but if I hadn't fixed the grips I'm pretty sure I'd still be hurting right now.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    I think that there is a grip size calculator at the Ping website's static fitting program. The grip size calculator is based on the length of your longest finger and the length of your hand from the base of your palm to the end of the longest finger. I typically wear a XL glove....I recall that Ping site had recommended standard+1/16" for my grip size....all my clubs appear to be regular.

Dave

Albatross TourIQ is on a distinguished road TourIQ's Avatar
    If you have pain then I would also suggest you remove the grips and install Pro-Soft vibration dampening inserts in all clubs shafted with steel shafts. It will cut 50% of the vibration to your hands and joints, and is not prone to rust out a shaft like the patented Sensicore insert. Might be worth a try for added prevention.
    Kind regards, Harry

Thanks for the suggestion, although I'm pretty sure it's not a vibration thing.

A couple of years ago I tried Winn grips on my clubs and after about a month I ended up with tendonitis in my fingers. Cut them off, put the standard size Lamkins on and that went away.

What can I say, I must have sensitive hands.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, although I'm pretty sure it's not a vibration thing.

A couple of years ago I tried Winn grips on my clubs and after about a month I ended up with tendonitis in my fingers. Cut them off, put the standard size Lamkins on and that went away.

What can I say, I must have sensitive hands.

Or it could be that you are just getting old and now the aches and pains come easier Been there, done that and still doing it!

As Harry said, the Pro Soft Inserts are solid. I put them in my forged Wishon's last summer and it does cut down on the vibration to the hands.

I guess my grips must be the right size. The amount of golf I play every week and no elbow pain.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Grip Size / Elbow Pain

Interesting theory. I re-gripped this year as my grips were getting older (100 + rounds). Did the research on the grips as I was having both wrist and right elbow pain. Diagnosed with golfer's elbow last year and wearing a brace on each round. The brace helped with the post round pain last year but I have to say that since I went with the Golf Pride Dual Durometer mid size I have experienced no pain. They are one of the two grips that are recommended by the American Arthritis Association. Now either they helped or something in my swing has changed but I have no post round pain now, although I still wear the brace for insurance purposes.

Thread Information