100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ADAbsolutNDN

TaylorMade R7 425/460

I'm looking at getting one of these from GT soon as they are at 299.99. Does anyone forsee a price drop in these drivers as the season moves forward or will this price probably remain fixed until next year when the new TM's come out?

Additionally, if any of you guys has played both the 425 and 460 could you let me know which one you found better and why?

Thanks for your replies.

Lob Wedge reload is on a distinguished road
    I played with an R7 (425) for 3-4 seasons. I've tried the 460 but
    I recently converted to another driver after going through a fitting session.
    I believe the main difference between the 425 and 460(golf teckies correct me if I'm wrong) was that the 425 allows a better player to work the ball better and a 460 has more surface and and is therefore much more forgiving. If you are looking for the best of both worlds you may want to look for the R7 460TP.

ADAbsolutNDN
    Yeah I have heard the same about the 425 being better for shaping shots and such. I'm not quite at that level so maybe the 460 would be better just to improve the overall accuracy/distance off the tee. The 460 only has 3 slots and the 425 has 4 correct?

Also how long have these clubs been around for and is 299 a reasonably good price? (they also come with a free 12pk of maxfli fire balls at GT)

Thanks.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    My store (Nevada Bobs) has them at $299 right now... r7 425, r7 460, and r7 Draw are all $299

5 Iron breaks80 is on a distinguished road breaks80's Avatar
    GT has them all at $299 as well.

I played the R7 425 last year, and am playing the R7 460 this year. Both have MWT(movable weight technology), 425 has 4 weights allowing for 6 different launch conditions, 460 has 2 weights with 2 launch conditions.
    See www.taylormadegolf.com

Here's the bottom line for me(I play to a 9 handicap). The 460 is more forgiving and slightly longer, while the 425 allows you to work the ball better. Both are excellent drivers, but I prefer the R7 460.
    Breaks 80 - if there's no wind, down hill par 5's, dry fairways, Jupiter aligns with Mars, ....

ADAbsolutNDN
    Quote Originally Posted by breaks80 View Post
    GT has them all at $299 as well.

I played the R7 425 last year, and am playing the R7 460 this year. Both have MWT(movable weight technology), 425 has 4 weights allowing for 6 different launch conditions, 460 has 2 weights with 2 launch conditions.
    See www.taylormadegolf.com

Here's the bottom line for me(I play to a 9 handicap). The 460 is more forgiving and slightly longer, while the 425 allows you to work the ball better. Both are excellent drivers, but I prefer the R7 460.
    Yeah that makes sense that the 460 would be the more forgiving out of the two. Do you find that you still can affect the ball flight a bit with the 3 weights in the 460? I think I'll pick one up from GT as they are offering some free balls with it. How much did you pay for your 425/460 and do you think it was worth that price?

Thanks man.

Forgot to mention, $299 is a good price(this is a quality driver). You might save a little more on ebay, but the difference is a lot less than it use to be when GT and NB had them at around $480 less than a year ago.
    Breaks 80 - if there's no wind, down hill par 5's, dry fairways, Jupiter aligns with Mars, ....

Paid around $260 each off ebay(but you gotta be careful buying from ebay). Even at $299 I think it's well worth the price. You can notice the influence on the 460 by changing weights (neutral or draw). You can also buy a weight kit for even more affect.

Quote Originally Posted by ADAbsolutNDN View Post
    Yeah that makes sense that the 460 would be the more forgiving out of the two. Do you find that you still can affect the ball flight a bit with the 3 weights in the 460? I think I'll pick one up from GT as they are offering some free balls with it. How much did you pay for your 425/460 and do you think it was worth that price?

Thanks man.
    we have the same promotion FYI. get a free dozen Maxfli Fire balls with a 425, 460, and draw. buy a r7 SuperQuad and get a free dozen TaylorMade TPs (both mail in coupons)

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I play the 460 and love it. It will be awhile before i switch to something else.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Just got my new 460 TP Tour issue in and i can't wait to get back to hitting this driver. I always regretted selling my 460 to Jeff!!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    when you're ready to sell the 460 TP, you know who to call!!!
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I have the 460 TP and I love it. It is very forgiving and I find it longer than last years 425.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

ADAbsolutNDN
    Whats the main difference in the TP...more weights included?

I think if you buy it retail you may get a few more weights but there's still only two weight ports. The face angle is square to open compared to closed for the regular 460. You get a better stock shaft and a prettier headcover as well.

Eagle TA 845 is on a distinguished road
    I've got the 460 and love it, picked it up at Costco (of all places!) for $229. And they made money on it... can you spell mark-up

ADAbsolutNDN
    Quote Originally Posted by TA 845 View Post
    I've got the 460 and love it, picked it up at Costco (of all places!) for $229. And they made money on it... can you spell mark-up
    Really? How long ago was this...Hopefully they get that sale back on

ADAbsolutNDN
    Well just got back from golf town and looks like the R7 460 is out of stock there (LH)...The 425 was pretty good as was the TM Burner, but I'll have to wait till the 460 is back in stock.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TA 845 View Post
    Ummm....Club markup is not as much as you think it is my friend. Golf retailers make their money off clothing and shoes, not golf balls and clubs.

As for the 460 vs. 425 debate. I'd say the 460 is more forgiving for sure, but the 425 TP is still in the bags of a lot of TM Staffers on Tour so there has to be something good about it.

we have one 460 LH left. and one 425

ADAbsolutNDN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    we have one 460 LH left. and one 425
    I would come by and pick that up but I have to get it at GT because I have a $250 gift card from there.

ADAbsolutNDN
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Ummm....Club markup is not as much as you think it is my friend. Golf retailers make their money off clothing and shoes, not golf balls and clubs.

As for the 460 vs. 425 debate. I'd say the 460 is more forgiving for sure, but the 425 TP is still in the bags of a lot of TM Staffers on Tour so there has to be something good about it.
    Yeah i'm just looking at the normal 425 and not the TP. At that price range I'd just go for the superquad, that thing looks incredible.

Tour Players dont need the same amount of forgivness us average joes need. so they tend to prefer the more compact heads...

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Perl View Post
    Tour Players dont need the same amount of forgivness us average joes need. so they tend to prefer the more compact heads...
    For sure.

For sure.
    fo shizzel ma nizzel... LMAO

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I think those tour players that are more focused on accuracy are opting for the larger 460, Fred Funk comes to mind. I would take his 278 down the pipe any day of the week. The 425 is definitely the more workable club but whenever i played around with the weights I ended up screwing up so I jsut set it for a draw. The 460TP came at a great price and so the jump was easy. It is also set for a draw and will stay that way.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Lob Wedge reload is on a distinguished road
    Again I stand to be corrected by the Golf Shop Boyz but isn't the difference between the TP and reg just in the amount the face is closed(open vs 1 or 2 deg closed).
    My old 425 seemed to hit the ball harder than the 460 I tried for some time.
    I demoed alot of drivers and finally decided to get check on a monitor to optimize my dollar value.
    I preferred the smaller 440 heads and really didn't find one MOI (elongated body driver ie. Fspeed,D1 or SQ) that I could hit as far as my 425. I didn't like the sound of those style of drivers either. I like the POW of the 425.

the new Taylor TP drivers come stock with the Fujikura Romax shaft. the shaft itself retails for $300US. as well as it being open vs. closed. it also comes with the TP weight kit. which retails for $199. and the beefier headcover

For the record after dropping a bit of dough for a tour issued R7 460 TP head with an Accuflex Creation shaft it was 100% worth it. It took me a few rounds to get used to the open face angle but i'm loving this thing now. The feel is much different than a retail 460 head and feels much more solid all over the face. I'm hitting the ball places on golf courses i've never been!!! Had 150 into the 18th at greensmere yesterday with hardly any roll and had 160 into the Par 5 6th.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar

I'm of the same opinion as john. Took me a few rounds to get used to the 425's closed face but after that it's bombs away. I wish the rest of my game was as good as my drives with the 425. It's awesome and totally worth the money!!

Thread Information