CNNSI

Don't tell Rosie Jones that golfers aren't athletes. Not after she fought her way through the windswept second round of the Canadian Women's Open.

Jones shot a 3-under-par 69 Friday at Angus Glen for a share of the lead with Kelly Robbins. Robbins also had a 69.

Jones, a two-time winner this year at age 41, had five birdies and two bogeys in her afternoon round as gusting wind -- with some light rain -- roared through the Toronto area at up to 35 mph.

"You've got to really be an athlete and use your athleticism when you're playing in wind like this," Jones said. "You have to trust your feel and trust your imagination and your calculations. And just go for it. That's exactly what I did."

Jones and Robbins, who opened with 65s to share the first-round lead with South Korean star Se Ri Pak, finished at 10-under 134 on Angus Glen's hilly South Course.

"I couldn't do anything wrong," said Jones, fourth last week in the Wendy's Championship for Children. "When I didn't hit great shots, I hit great putts. I would have been just as happy with an even-par round."

Robbins, winless since the first event in 1999, made a 25-foot eagle putt on the par-5 14th hole to reach 10 under and closed with four pars as the wind picked up.

"I'm very glad I'm not out there now. Very glad!" the nine-time tour winner said after her morning round. "It's a total guessing game with this type of wind situation."

Pak shot a 72 to drop into a tie for third with Sweden's Maria Hjorth (69) at 137.

"It was like another golf course it was so different today," Pak said. "This golf course is really, really hard. ... I'm happy to finish at even par."

Playing directly into the wind on the 367-yard 11th, the Women's British Open champion hit a 4-iron approach shot after using a pitching wedge in the first round.

Lorie Kane topped the 16 Canadians in the field, shooting a 69 to join Cristie Kerr at 6 under. Kerr also had a 69.

"Angus Glen showed its teeth today," Kane said.

Annika Sorenstam shot a 68 in the morning group to remain in contention at 5 under, and Karrie Webb had a 75 to make the cut by a stroke at 2 over. On Thursday, the two stars opened with 71s in relatively calm conditions.

"I was just trying to play smart, keeping the ball in the middle of the fairways and greens," Sorenstam said.

After opening with a bogey on No. 10, Jones birdied Nos. 13-15 to reach 9 under. She tied Robbins with an 18-foot birdie putt on No. 17 and took the lead with a 15-footer on No. 1.

Jones dropped back to 10 under with a bogey on No. 7, holing a 7-foot putt for a scrambling 6 on the par-5 hole. She hit her third shot over the green, and took two shots to reach the green from a difficult lie near a cart path.

"I was thrilled to get out there with 6," Jones said.

The 12-time tour winner was second last year at Royal Ottawa in the final du Maurier Classic, her ninth top-10 finish in 18 appearances in the event that folded because of Canada's restrictions on tobacco promotions.

The Canadian Women's Open, run by the Royal Canadian Golf Association and sponsored by the Bank of Montreal, took the du Maurier's spot on the tour schedule.

Divots: Charlotta Sorenstam, Annika's younger sister, shot a 73 to top a six-player group at 4 under. ... Kane was one of four Canadians to make the cut. Dawn Coe-Jones (74-142), A.J. Eathorne (74-143) and Carrie Vaughn (73-144) also advanced to weekend play. ... The RCGA also runs the PGA Tour's Canadian Open and Senior PGA Tour's AT&T Canada Senior Open. The senior event is next week in Mississauga.