+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geronamo View Post
    So what's worse? The single digit handicap who shot 122 and 85 or the one that shot 101 and 100?
    Unfortunately, a few years from now local golfers will likely still remember the 122 and not his 85 in the second round. They will also not remember the people who shot 100. Thats just how society is...............
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    The worst part for me is seeing all the people who didn't play criticizing those who did...

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    The worst part for me is seeing all the people who didn't play criticizing those who did...
    Hear Hear!!!! My thoughts exactly.

Am I proud of my playing? Absolutely not. Taking a 14 on the 18th hole for a tidy little 101 at SB is not fun, however it happens in tournaments, not in your Sunday morning rounds. Am I a legit single digit HDCP? Absolutely, go check the RCGA Network.

Kudos to those who have the tenacity to keep slogging along when their game is off knowing full well some trolls will use it as fodder once posted online....

Apart from that, congrats to those who made the cut. I think we should all be especially thankful to the Rivermead Golf Club for letting us play yesterday. I know everyone in my group was a first-timer at Rivermead and we were all thoroughly impressed. I could get very used to playing there on a daily basis. The greens had to be around 11 or 12 for us dew-sweepers out there. Down-hill, down-grain towards the river was SCARY fast.

Enjoy Rideauview, it is of equally fine quality and a great golf course.

GarthM

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Just wondering from those who played, how long the rounds were? I've debated entering this thing for a few years, but I'm not going to put myself through a 6+ hour round, at least not until I can get my paws on an iPhone to pass the time.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Just wondering from those who played, how long the rounds were? I've debated entering this thing for a few years, but I'm not going to put myself through a 6+ hour round, at least not until I can get my paws on an iPhone to pass the time.
    Not that it's indicative, since I played so early, but we were around in 4:15 yesterday. They really try to enforce pace of play, and you will get put on the clock if you are not careful. I think in general you are looking at about 5 hours though.

BTW the local rules would prohibit the use of the iPhone anyways!!!!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    We definitely waited on several holes, but we were definitely done in 5 hours or less.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post

Am I proud of my playing? Absolutely not. Taking a 14 on the 18th hole for a tidy little 101 at SB is not fun, however it happens in tournaments, not in your Sunday morning rounds. Am I a legit single digit HDCP? Absolutely, go check the RCGA Network.

Kudos to those who have the tenacity to keep slogging along when their game is off knowing full well some trolls will use it as fodder once posted online....

Apart from that, congrats to those who made the cut. I think we should all be especially thankful to the Rivermead Golf Club for letting us play yesterday. I know everyone in my group was a first-timer at Rivermead and we were all thoroughly impressed. I could get very used to playing there on a daily basis. The greens had to be around 11 or 12 for us dew-sweepers out there. Down-hill, down-grain towards the river was SCARY fast.

Enjoy Rideauview, it is of equally fine quality and a great golf course.

GarthM

I raise my hat to you Garth. I know it’s not you best year but you still played and finished your rounds. Congrads for your perseverance.

I see that Thom did not play a good round 2. Was it from Sunday night’s shooters following Intersectional party/gathering? He looked happy go lucky…

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I raise my hat to you Garth. I know it’s not you best year but you still played and finished your rounds. Congrads for your perseverance.

I see that Thom did not play a good round 2. Was it from Sunday night’s shooters following Intersectional party/gathering? He looked happy go lucky…

Mike
    He did not blame the shooters, however he did hint that I got out of there at the right time on Sunday!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Taking a 14 on the 18th hole for a tidy little 101 at SB is not fun, however it happens in tournaments, not in your Sunday morning rounds.
    Most of the single digit handicappers I know pick it up and call it a double bogey long before they get to 14 in their Sunday morning rounds. My heartiest congratulations on having the fortitude to enter such a tournament and thereby risk exposing yourself to public ridicule from those who did not

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

Apart GarthM
    My hat is off to all of you who participated. I bet you a good 80% to 90% of the golfers in here would fold after 1 bad hole. I know I would, just ask, Sillywilly, Jvincent, mjf, Jarred, Fallys820 or Nat. They have all see me 'fold'

When I am playing a fun round with Bugsy I will shoot high 70's low 80's..... put a match in front of me and the score baloons to high 80's to mid 90's....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

He did not blame the shooters, however he did hint that I got out of there at the right time on Sunday!
    You did. Lets just say I was not in any shape or form to play golf yesterday. Good thing I was not playing…..

Sand Wedge mbarroso is on a distinguished road
    "My Mother always said that there would be days like this" , that was the story of my day. Finished with 100. Started on the first tee with a long drive pulled to the right and then it started. Never got into to the swing of things. It doesn't help that had worked the night before til 2am and had only gotten 2 hrs of sleep. But I always look at the bright side, I had a few terrific shots(holed it for par out of a greenside bunker, and from about 96 yrds left one bounce and in. Congratulations to anyone who had made the cut and good luck, I'll be getting ready for next year's tourney.

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

The day after

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    You did. Lets just say I was not in any shape or form to play golf yesterday. Good thing I was not playing…..
    94(40-54) for me. I figured that I had to shoot 80 to make the cut therefore 80 or 100 was my mindset. Man those shooters the night before sure didn't help. I almost fainted at the practice green looking down on the ball! I hung on in the front nine on my target(40). My hilight was (again) the holed-out from 165 yards on the longest par4(474) 7th hole. I pulled my tee shot left, hit a tree drop down in the left rough, hit my little hybrid to 165 and hit the same club again with a little draw just in front of the green and it rolled in the cup. The two kids i played with were more excited than I was because they never saw anything like that before. As you guys may recall I holed out for eagle two in my first round at SB from 119 yards. The shooters caught up with me in the back nine. I hit the ball OK but the focus was gone. Oh well, it was just a game. Let's hope next year tourney won't be the day after the Intersectionals. Good luck to all who make the cut. Rideau View is similar to Rivermead.

Thom

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Panikorn View Post
    My hilight was (again) the holed-out from 165 yards on the longest par4(474) 7th hole. I pulled my tee shot left, hit a tree drop down in the left rough, hit my little hybrid to 165 and hit the same club again with a little draw just in front of the green and it rolled in the cup. The two kids i played with were more excited than I was because they never saw anything like that before. As you guys may recall I holed out for eagle two in my first round at SB from 119 yards...

Thom
    It's a good thing those two hole-outs weren't hole-in-ones. That would have been expensive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LBH View Post
    It's a good thing those two hole-outs weren't hole-in-ones. That would have been expensive!!!
    Yep!! And a couple more rounds of shooters….

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Not that it's indicative, since I played so early, but we were around in 4:15 yesterday.
    Slow pokes.

I was in the first group and we finished in just over 3:30. It didn't hurt that we were a twosome and there was nobody in front of us.

I had the honour of putting the first two balls in the water on 18. There should have been some kind of prize for that.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Yeah we saw you on 6 green when we were on 5 but I think that was the last time we saw you. We kept pretty close to the twosome behind you though. Good thing it was not a cross-over, you guys would have had a long wait at #10.

Here's a link to the Round 3 tee times: http://www.flagstick.com/ottawa_amat...1_teetimes.htm

Gee, how did I qualify for such an early tee time?

I finished up my Citizen 2007 experience today with an 83 at Rideauview... pretty respectable for me on a 7000+ yard course (Rating 73.6 / Slope 129). I drove the ball straight, but not particulary long. My irons were so-so and my short game and putting were pretty bad. Even still, except for a couple of particularly bad swings there was definitely a round in the 70s there for the taking... but I think I'd have needed something pretty close to even par to make the 54-hole cut anyway.

Scoring conditions were excellent. I'd expect to see quite a few low numbers from the guys near the top of the leaderboard.

I'm definitely going to need to work on my driving distance if I'm going to be playing 7000+ yard courses. The shortest club I had into any of the Par-4's was an 8-iron and there a few more Par-4's where I hit 3 and 4 hybrids for my approaches. Makes for a long round...

The whole tournament was very well organized. I definitely plan to try to get in again next year.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Good job Mike. Not sure what your personal goal was, but making it to the third round is a nice accomplishment.

I think I may give this tourney a try next year. I really enjoyed caddying for John, but it also gave me the itch to try my luck.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Round 3 results are now posted.

The usual "sharks" are at the top.

Certainly a few others have improved their games and results from previous years and are in the final round.

http://www.flagstick.com/ottawa_amateur.htm
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    NOBODY broke par? That's odd. What kind of day was it? Any wind or anything?

This only confirms what I have told people in the past, that Rideauview although it looks benign, plays a lot harder than you might think.

Great golf course IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    NOBODY broke par? That's odd. What kind of day was it? Any wind or anything?

This only confirms what I have told people in the past, that Rideauview although it looks benign, plays a lot harder than you might think.

Great golf course IMO.

The comments in the paper today was that the conditions were ideal. For the most part, it seems like putts weren't falling. After my round tomorrow morning I might head to EC to watch some players. Anyone interested in joining me?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Just checked, 12:04 the final group is heading out. Anyone care to watch with me?

No one wants to join me eh? Oh well, I guess I'll be one of the first to know who wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    No one wants to join me eh? Oh well, I guess I'll be one of the first to know who wins.
    But you will be in the middle of Dunrobin, miles away from your PC...

But you will be in the middle of Dunrobin, miles away from your PC...
    Only about 10 minutes actually.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff [B
    Johnston;197845]The comments in the paper today was that the conditions were ideal. For the most part, it seems like putts weren't falling.[/B] After my round tomorrow morning I might head to EC to watch some players. Anyone interested in joining me?
    I spoke with the young lad that I sponsor last night,Mark Coldham. He told me that your back foot was almost in the rough of the tees and you had to lag 10 footers !!!

Soooooooo, does anyone know who won? I didn't get a chance to head out. Too hot, and needed some sleep for my shift tonight.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I played 9 holes there tonight. Tee-off was 4h21pm and the last group was on #13. 4hrs for 12 holes. We played 9 holes as a twosome by the time they played 4-5.

So by 6pm when we left, they were NOT done

Thread Information