100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Are you serious? You are being allowed to play on one of the best conditioned, private clubs in the area, and for that you should be appreciative. Rivermead occasionally makes itself available for Golf Association sanctioned tournaments (RCGA, GC, OVGA, CPGA) and the occasional charity tournament, and seldom for a commercial/marketing ploy type of tournament, which is what The Citizen really is.
    funk-like, make sure that you get down on your hands and knees and kiss the ground when you get there. Apparently you'll be playing on hallowed ground.

If they followed your wishes expressed above, not only would they be giving up their course for the tournament, but for two other days as well, to fulfill your wish to have "A COUPLE" of practice rounds. Extend that to the other three courses and The Citizen would then be a 12 round tournament. Do some really see this as Ottawa's "US OPEN" or "The Masters?"
    Heaven forbid that a club that's actually hosting a tournament round allow the competitors a chance to see the course first. This tournament may not fit your "lofty standards", but for a number of competitors this will be the one big tournament they play all year. It's completely insensitive to make this kind of statement. No, it may not be the Masters or US Open, but for some it is still a pretty big deal.

Instead of greedily asking for more, perhaps you should respect and thank them for giving you the opportunity to play it even once. Those paying the big bucks have earned the right to decide who and who does not get to play their course. And no, I am not a member of a private club.
    Maybe not, but something tells me you'd fit right in.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    funk-like, make sure that you get down on your hands and knees and kiss the ground when you get there. Apparently you'll be playing on hallowed ground.

Heaven forbid that a club that's actually hosting a tournament round allow the competitors a chance to see the course first. This tournament may not fit your "lofty standards", but for a number of competitors this will be the one big tournament they play all year. It's completely insensitive to make this kind of statement. No, it may not be the Masters or US Open, but for some it is still a pretty big deal.

Maybe not, but something tells me you'd fit right in.
    Ignoring your sarcasm for a moment, my previous comments were based on this question: Is it reasonable for a private golf club to make their course available for ALL Citizen competitors for TWO ("A couple") of practice rounds? The original poster obviously thinks, "Yes," and further, if they don't, he thinks that they should NOT hold the tournament. Am I and "Nat Williams" the only one who thinks that this a little unreasonable? Nowhere did I say that the club should NOT “allow the competitors a chance to see the course first.”

Rivermead is a wonderful place to play golf, as are Rideau View, the Hunt and the Royal Ottawa. They are that way because the members can afford to pay the fees necessary to have their respective courses maintained to the highest standard possible. What is wrong with that? Just because you and I don't play there does not mean that we should look at those that do, unfavourably. Even when I was a member at Rivermead, I was there because it was affordable for me, at that time, I enjoyed the course and enjoyed playing with the large number of competitive golfers that it had. However, I did not fit in with the wealthy, the politicians and others who were status oriented, pretentious snobs.

The Citizen is a very good, well organized tournament. However, the pretence of finding out “who Ottawa’s best golfer is,” infers that the field for this tournament is the deepest of any around. It is not. If The Citizen tournament gets some golfer’s legs all rubbery, then good for them. For me, whether I am teeing it up in the Canadian Amateur, Tunis, Citizen or playing by myself on a Sunday evening by myself, there are always a few butterflies, no more, no less, before the first tee shot, because I just love to play golf, anywhere, any time, on any course and with anybody, and doing so just might prove you wrong, again.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Am I and "Nat Williams" the only one who thinks that this a little unreasonable?
    No, you're not. I'm in the tournament and figured that any practice round I can get at Rivermead is a bonus.

One of the reasons I'm in the tournament is that it's a good chance for me to play somewhere that I wouldn't normally get a chance.

Had the first round been at Hunt or Camelot that would have been extra sweet.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    No, you're not. I'm in the tournament and figured that any practice round I can get at Rivermead is a bonus.

One of the reasons I'm in the tournament is that it's a good chance for me to play somewhere that I wouldn't normally get a chance.

Had the first round been at Hunt or Camelot that would have been extra sweet.
    Regardless of the opportunity, take advantage of playing the well designed and superbly conditioned private courses in the area. They are a treat to pay, as are some of the others that are not private.

Hope you play well in the tournament.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    I was also surprised that someone would "expect" to get a practice round at Rivermead. I think the best word to describe it would be HOPE, not EXPECT.

As for being treated poorly, hey, maybe the pro just heard his mom died. You never know what the situation was...

BTW, enjoy Rivermead and remember, the key is to score on the first six holes...after that, it gets pretty tough!

Hope you play well in the tournament.
    Thanks.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I can't resist the urge to get in the middle of this, I have to empathize with the original poster. While it's their course and they can do whatever they want, being snubbed is never easy to take when you are just politely trying to go about your business and making rational inquiries.

If that happened to me that way I can see posting a rant like that. I'd take the chance to play there practise rounds or no, but I have to be little surprised you can't play there the week before if you are registerred in the tournyment, like even in the late afternoon. You have to admit, that would have been a classy touch from what sounds like a well respected club.

Anyhow, it's their course so it's their rules. This should have been laid out by the organizers in the first place clearly for everyone to see. Being brushed off isn't much fun.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I hope you guys (Lyle, John, Mike) all play well.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    Thanks Lorne. Hopefully all of those new Wishon clubs do their thing... If not, I blame the guy who talked me into them.

MJF

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    Thanks.

It appears as if I am first to report back.

My round today: 86.

Probably the worst I could have shot today. One skanky triple after a perfect drive leaving me only 120 yards to the hardest hole on the course , 12 bogeys and 5 pars. Generally hit the ball well and avoided big mistakes except for the triple.

Right now I need some serious voodoo to help me sink some putts. I didn't track them on the card but going over them just now I think I had 37. It's starting to get unfunny.

Lowest round on the board when I left was a 74. One of which was posted by mjf. An excellent round.

Highest on the board was 122. That was with a smooth 71 on the back nine. That's just not right.

For my first competitive round, I'm generally pleased. I certainly could have shot lower but at least I didn't make an ass out of myself. I will admit to some first tee jitters after seeing a guy in the group in front of us hit two balls into the junk before getting a ball in the fairway.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Blame... the... Caddy!
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Can't blame the caddy.

Geoff did a great job on the bag today. Nothing but positives and never gave me a bad yardage.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Wow, I am surprised at the scores. I figured there would be some really low numbers for sure with the distance some of these guys can hit the ball. There really are not a whole lot of tough holes at Stonebridge if you can hit the ball 230-240 and keep it in play off the tee. What was the weather like? I know the greens can be tough if they tuck the pins, maybe that was the issue today.

How long was the course playing?

It probably played 6450 today. All of the tees were on the Diamond deck, with the exception of 7 and 11 which were blue yardages. Both are par 3s and #7 was using the "tournament" deck which never gets used during regular play.

It was a pretty good mix of pin positions. Some easy, some tough. That being said, even the easy pins at SB can be tough if you miss in the wrong spot. As has been noted by many here, the greens can be tough to putt on as well because of the breaks. Speed was normal for SB.

Conditions were pretty good this morning. It got up to a 2-club wind at some points but nothing crazy. I'll be curious to see the afternoon scores since it is windier.

Historically speaking, I think Stonebridge gives a lot of players problems in this tournament.

You're right, if you can hit the ball 230-240 and keep it in play every time, you'll definitely improve your odds of doing well at Stonebridge. How many people can do that consistently under tournament pressure though? For some reason, I had a day like that today... I don't know why, but I hope I can hang onto it for the next round.

The primary defence at SB (in my opinion) are the greens. If you are off with your irons and hit it in the wrong spots, or if your putter is off, even playing from the middle of the fairway is no guarantee you'll shoot a low number.

For the most part, the pins were in relatively easy positions. There were a few tough ones though... as usual.

The weather was fine until about 10am or so and then the wind picked up to what I would term a "strong breeze". I found the fairways to be fairly wet so the course played a bit longer than usual.

MJF

So what was the final tally on the scorecard?

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    So what was the final tally on the scorecard?
    Check my post. Senor MJF shot a smooth 74.

Only three shots worse that the back nine of the dude who shot 122.

For me? 74. I was actually tied for the lead in the clubhouse when I left, but I'm sure some of the "big hitters" who teed off later will come in around even par.

I hit the ball extremely well off the tee, hit a lot of greens and probably made 80 - 100 feet of putts. In my dreams, I didn't think I could play that well in a tournament like this one.

MJF

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Congrats mjf. A solid first round.

Congrats also, to all who played. Tough and exciting to play under real preassure!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    For me? 74. I was actually tied for the lead in the clubhouse when I left, but I'm sure some of the "big hitters" who teed off later will come in around even par.

I hit the ball extremely well off the tee, hit a lot of greens and probably made 80 - 100 feet of putts. In my dreams, I didn't think I could play that well in a tournament like this one.

MJF
    Way to go big guy! Make us proud
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Sand Wedge mbarroso is on a distinguished road
    Way to go MJF, I posted a 85. Not the best round I've had at StoneBridge but not the worst either.

Good Luck to all for the next round.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    How does a player with an 8 index (or lower to be admitted to this tournament) shoot 71 for 9 holes and 122 total???

I know this is a tournament and there are extra pressures and all, and I've been in tournament situations where I've played horrendously - a memorable 5-putt from 10 feet on the first hole of the first round of a tournament comes to mind (i'm a 10.7 at the moment), but I've never approached 122 in tournament conditions.

I feel really bad for whoever it was - kudos for sticking out the round and not withdrawing.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    How does a player with an 8 index (or lower to be admitted to this tournament) shoot 71 for 9 holes and 122 total??
    Great question. Not sure we ant to go there though.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Great question. Not sure we ant to go there though.
    True. Just mentally re-living my 5-jack makes gives me the shivers.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    How does a player with an 8 index (or lower to be admitted to this tournament) shoot 71 for 9 holes and 122 total???
    When the scoreboard lady put up the 122 I was mildly shocked. It's not like they had one or two bad holes. There were a bunch in double digits.

I can see after shooting 51 on the front you just go into "Tin Cup" mode and just flail away, but I imagine it would be hard for your FCs to stay focussed with that going on.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I imagine it would be hard for your FCs to stay focussed with that going on.
    It would be very difficult for the FC's to focus when you expect a certain level of play from all of the competitors. I feel for the fella, whoever he is, but I am not sure that he belonged in this competition.

That seems like it would be one of those situations where you start pulling a 5 or 6 iron off the tee where its feasible and play the hole to try to make bogey. I guess it's easy for us to sit here and judge, because we don't really know what went on. He could have had a case of hossel-rockets that were severely punished by the long grass.

That would seem like a case where that rule about being ineligible for next years competition with a DNF should be given a little consideration. It's possible that this guy was just having the worst golf day of his life and he may have wanted to withdraw, but didn't so that he'd be able to play next year. That kind of score, as mentioned above, would probably throw off his playing partners and most-likely slow up the field. It seems that in a case like this, it would be beneficial to the event as a whole to allow this person to withdraw without consequence. Allow him to play his second round and get his money out of it. If he withdraws from that or fires up another massive number, that can be taken into consideration when deciding whether he should be allowed to compete next year.

It's just my thoughts, I'm sure others will disagree, but if I was playing with/behind someone in that position, I would be quite annoyed with having to wait because they are afraid of the consequences of a DNF on the card.

Anyway, nice round Mike, put up another one just like it in round 2!

That would seem like a case where that rule about being ineligible for next years competition with a DNF should be given a little consideration. It's possible that this guy was just having the worst golf day of his life and he may have wanted to withdraw, but didn't so that he'd be able to play next year. That kind of score, as mentioned above, would probably throw off his playing partners and most-likely slow up the field. It seems that in a case like this, it would be beneficial to the event as a whole to allow this person to withdraw without consequence. Allow him to play his second round and get his money out of it. If he withdraws from that or fires up another massive number, that can be taken into consideration when deciding whether he should be allowed to compete next year.
    Personally I think you should face the consequences of your bad rounds.

As you point out, not only is he probably affecting his FCs but holding up the whole course as well. We were the second group out and were right on the tail of the group ahead of us. They were a little behind pace and received a "speed up" request from the marshalls at one point.

I appreciate the fact that the guy paid to play two rounds and that he finished instead of withdrawing but where do you put him for round two? If he throws another stinker out there it could be troublesome again.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Blame... the... Caddy!
    Nice, very nice.

For the first time caddying I tried to do the best I could. Looking forward to the next round as well.

As for John's play today, overall he hit the ball well. Just missed his spots here and there and unfortunately when he missed he put himself in tough spots to get up and down from. But if he could've gotten a few putts to drop he would've been closer to 80. I think part of the problem as well was that the two guys he played with never really got hot either. Not one birdie in our group today, so no one get anyone else fired up.

But for his first competitive round of golf John did very well. It only gets easier to do from here on in John.

And after seeing the atmosphere around this event, I may just give this a try next year.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information