CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar

2007 Citizen Amateur

Might as well start the thread now that the field is posted.

Having managed to not be a total tool to start the season, I managed to make it in this year (7.0) which was one of my goals for the season. Now onto part two, make the 36-hole cut.

This will be my first "big-time" tournament aside from the Ottawa-TO Ryder cup so hopefully I won't make an ass out myself score wise.

I noticed a few others names on the list that I recognized but I'm sure there are some others. Who else entered and made it in?

On a related note, anyone interested in caddying? There's a case of your favourite brew waiting for you if you are.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I entered and my index was good enough to 'make the cut' this time. I applied a couple of years ago but my index at the time (7.8) wasn't low enough.

I'm looking forward to it and my goal will also be to make the 36-hole cut. Historically it seems that 160 seems to be the number and I'll need to have my "A game" (or a strong B+) to match that. Hopefully my experience at Stonebridge will give me a bit of an edge. First thing's first though, I want to get my opening tee shot airborne!

MJF

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Congrats to both of you. Hope you do well.

I only wish my game was good enough

Also, where is the list? Any link?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

It's in the print edition today. It will probably show up online at the following location soon.

http://www.flagstick.com/ottawa_amateur.htm

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Might as well start the thread now that the field is posted.

Having managed to not be a total tool to start the season, I managed to make it in this year (7.0) which was one of my goals for the season. Now onto part two, make the 36-hole cut.

This will be my first "big-time" tournament aside from the Ottawa-TO Ryder cup so hopefully I won't make an ass out myself score wise.

I noticed a few others names on the list that I recognized but I'm sure there are some others. Who else entered and made it in?

On a related note, anyone interested in caddying? There's a case of your favourite brew waiting for you if you are.
    Mr. V, depending on the dates I may be available to caddy for you. Let me know the dates and I'll let you know.

OK, I didn't see the link first before I replied. If I can be at St. Laurent by 7pm on the 5th, I'll do it. Do you know your tee time yet? Worse case I can probably show up a bit late. I'd love to caddy for you. And as for the 16th, I'm definately a go for then.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Good luck to all of you and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    OK, I didn't see the link first before I replied. If I can be at St. Laurent by 7pm on the 5th, I'll do it. Do you know your tee time yet? Worse case I can probably show up a bit late. I'd love to caddy for you. And as for the 16th, I'm definately a go for then.
    Cool, thanks Geoff.

They haven't published tee times yet but once they do, I'll let you know.

What's your brew of choice?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Cold He's a hoser and does not care otherwise.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Sand Wedge mbarroso is on a distinguished road
    I made it again this year. Last year's tourney for me was a total sham. I had injured my wrist prior to the tourney and wasn't totally recovered. I plan on making a big jump this year. Good luck to all entered. And I also to need a caddie, my best friend said he'd do it but not sure if he can make it now. Anyone available please let me know.

I picked up my tournament 'swag bag' earlier this week. I'm pretty impressed. In it was:

- An Adidas Climacool shirt (covered in advertising)
    - A hat
    - A sleeve of TaylorMade TP Black golf balls
    - Some tees
    - A copy of the rules of the game
    - A bunch of documentation regarding the tournament.

I've gotta say, $150 for two rounds of golf (minimum) on a pair of nice courses plus all of this swag is a pretty good deal!

Are you not supposed to get a caddy bib as well? I'm looking forward to proudly displaying the Vincent last name. You and John have more guts and confidence in your games than I do in mine. Maybe one year I'll try my luck in the Citizen. Just too inconsistent right now.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Caddie Bib

Hmmm... I'm not planning to have a caddie since nobody I know would be available so it hadn't occurred to me to look for or ask about a caddie bib. I suspect they'll have them at the course on the day of the tournament.

I won't speak for John, but I'm not sure "guts and confidence" will properly describe how I'll feel as I stand on the first tee! I'm looking forward to seeing exactly how I do feel though. My game hasn't quite been up to snuff this year so it'll be interesting...

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Bibs are available at check-in. Most folks don't have one....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    You and John have more guts and confidence in your games than I do in mine.
    Guts, plenty. Confidence, not too high at the moment after back to back stinkers.

Hey, all I've got to lose is pride and some golf balls.

If you want to wear a bib I'll pick one up when I check in. Since they are probably generic, we'll have to magic marker the name on.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Guts, plenty. Confidence, not too high at the moment after back to back stinkers.

Hey, all I've got to lose is pride and some golf balls.

If you want to wear a bib I'll pick one up when I check in. Since they are probably generic, we'll have to magic marker the name on.
    Either or, it doesn't matter to me. I guess its whether or not you want to look professional or not.

Speaking of professional, mjf wasn't kidding about the shirt in the swag bag.

I'd look like a skinny John Daly wearing it.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    You guys are lucky. Next year I’ll try to book my vacation so that they are not during the OttCitizen tourney. Or maybe stay in town during my vacation. Good luck to all of you.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I printed the caddybacks for the BCO in 2004, and made sure to print off a couple 'WILLIAMS' just in case I'd ever need one ... now that I know the Citizen has 'em I'll have to play next year
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road
    Has anyone called Rivermead to try and get on before the July 16th round for a practice round? Good luck. I called a few times, never got a call back, stopped in at the course, the pro would not come out and see me (he was in his office about 10 feet away from the front desk where I was standing). A few days later he called me back and said that they would allow practice rounds the Sat. and Sun before the Monday July 16th round (so the day or two days before) after 2pm. I know its a private course, but if you are going to host a tournament that is open to all (with a qualifying handicap) why would you not make it easier to get a couple of practice rounds in? Any weekday or weekend after a certain time when it is slow would be acceptable. I may be away the weekend before, so its possible I won't see the course before I play it.

I was not impressed by the way they handled the situation. If they want to remain totally private, they should not host any of these types of events.

Just my 2 cents.

IMO those times are reasonable.

Anyone know how much they are charging?

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    With the round being on the 16th of July (Monday), offering the Saturday and Sunday actually sucks. Intersectionals is on the Sunday the 15th this summer. I think they knew this and thought this offering through knowing a lot of the players would be playing intersectionals on the Sunday. Could be a full tee sheet on Saturday if everyone remembers this.
    Last edited by marcf; 06-25-2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: different thought

7 Iron albatrossman is on a distinguished road
    I know that the pro shop at Rivermead is really busy these days, so please try to cut them a little slack. (Remember, the members pay the pros salary.) I checked the club calendar to see what it looks like in early July. You might be able to ask for a practice round on the afternoon of July 9th. Good luck!

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    if anyone needs a caddy for the citizen drop me a PM

I spoke to the pro shop yesterday evening at Rivermead. The only time being made available is Sunday afternoon (yes I know, intersectionals). Cost is probably $65.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by funk-like View Post
    Has anyone called Rivermead to try and get on before the July 16th round for a practice round? Good luck. I called a few times, never got a call back, stopped in at the course, the pro would not come out and see me (he was in his office about 10 feet away from the front desk where I was standing). A few days later he called me back and said that they would allow practice rounds the Sat. and Sun before the Monday July 16th round (so the day or two days before) after 2pm. I know its a private course, but if you are going to host a tournament that is open to all (with a qualifying handicap) why would you not make it easier to get a couple of practice rounds in? Any weekday or weekend after a certain time when it is slow would be acceptable. I may be away the weekend before, so its possible I won't see the course before I play it.

I was not impressed by the way they handled the situation. If they want to remain totally private, they should not host any of these types of events.

Just my 2 cents.
    Are you serious? You are being allowed to play on one of the best conditioned, private clubs in the area, and for that you should be appreciative. Rivermead occasionally makes itself available for Golf Association sanctioned tournaments (RCGA, GC, OVGA, CPGA) and the occasional charity tournament, and seldom for a commercial/marketing ploy type of tournament, which is what The Citizen really is.

If they followed your wishes expressed above, not only would they be giving up their course for the tournament, but for two other days as well, to fulfill your wish to have "A COUPLE" of practice rounds. Extend that to the other three courses and The Citizen would then be a 12 round tournament. Do some really see this as Ottawa's "US OPEN" or "The Masters?"

Instead of greedily asking for more, perhaps you should respect and thank them for giving you the opportunity to play it even once. Those paying the big bucks have earned the right to decide who and who does not get to play their course. And no, I am not a member of a private club.

Are you serious? You are being allowed to play on one of the best conditioned, private clubs in the area, and for that you should be appreciative. Rivermead occasionally makes itself available for Golf Association sanctioned tournaments (RCGA, GC, OVGA, CPGA) and the occasional charity tournament, and seldom for a commercial/marketing ploy type of tournament, which is what The Citizen really is.

If they followed your wishes expressed above, not only would they be giving up their course for the tournament, but for two other days as well, to fulfill your wish to have "A COUPLE" of practice rounds. Extend that to the other three courses and The Citizen would then be a 12 round tournament. Do some really see this as Ottawa's "US OPEN" or "The Masters?"

Instead of greedily asking for more, perhaps you should respect and thank them for giving you the opportunity to play it even once. Those paying the big bucks have earned the right to decide who and who does not get to play their course. And no, I am not a member of a private club.
    Well Said

3 Wood funk-like is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

I am appreciative of being able to play there for the tournament. Again, they chose to host it, so with that comes the fact that non members are going to play it - the day of the tournament and maybe for a practice round or two beforehand. My issue was not only the limited availablity of practice time, but also the way I was treated when asking about it. Does the fact that they are a private club give them the right to be rude, non-responsive and make one feel as though they are not good enough to play there? I don't think so. I am the member of a private club and I know mine does not treat non-members like this. BTW, the practice rounds and the Citizen Tournament round are not free, I pay for the 'opportunity to play it even once'. Wow what an honor. I have nothing but respect for the tradition of golf, and I agree with and understand the rights and policies of private clubs but, I don't agree with the way I was treated in this case. Those paying the big bucks to be a member at a private course should still be respectful of others, and if you want to keep everyone out, all the time - don't host outside tournaments.

Bottom line is that Rivermead doesn't owe anyone anything ... they are providing local golfers with a rare privledge of playing their course w/o being or knowing a member. Would you rather it be held at a public course so that you can practice ti all day long?

Personally, I don't think the results of this tournament are life changing (in fact, they are far from it) ... there are some bragging rights associated with it, but that's it ... this is a Local Amateur Tournament and nothing more. I would like to continue to see the elite courses open their doors for it and allow many people to play when they otherwise would not be able to, than for the citizen to move to public courses to help accomodate the few people that take the results of the tournament too seriously.

Really, when it all comes down to it, one of the biggest reasons for entering the citizen is to make the 'weekend' as you tend to get to play at least 1 pretty amazing course...let's not lose sight of that, and enjoy whatever the big clubs are willing to give us.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by funk-like View Post
    Again, they chose to host it, so with that comes the fact that non members are going to play it - the day of the tournament and maybe for a practice round or two beforehand. ..... and if you want to keep everyone out, all the time - don't host outside tournaments.
    This is what I responded to above. I guess I need some work on my writing skills as I obviously can't get my point across.

Best of luck to those who appreciate being able to play Rivermead.

Thread Information