100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar

Greensmere - the new 9

Any members play it yet? I know it opens to the rest of us this weekend (playing it on Sunday morning)... wondering what your impressions are!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    my partner gbower at the belleville tourney said its the toughest 9 so far, suppose to be a very good track, lots of ondulations if i remember correctly, give us a good report, i think gbower's keeping the tips to himself

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Oop, apparently I'm not playing there Sunday morning after all...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I've played it a couple of times as they had it open to members yesterday and today and it's going to be good test of golf. A couple of lengthy par 4's from the black or gold tees. Water can be in play on six of the holes. As expected on a new course there are some patchy spots but overall in pretty good shape. With all the rain there were also some wet areas. Most of the greens were in very good shape. A number of the greens are elevated quite a bit which sure makes club selection a lot tougher. The view from the tee box on the seventh hole is spectacular as you're looking out over the pond and see a number of fairways. The reaction from a number of members that have played it has been very positive with a number of people commenting about how tough it is. I think some of the people that normally play the black tees will be moving up to the whites. I'll be interested in hearing from some other people on the forum when they get out to play it. I give it a big

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I've played it a couple of times as they had it open to members yesterday and today and it's going to be good test of golf. A couple of lengthy par 4's from the black or gold tees. Water can be in play on six of the holes. As expected on a new course there are some patchy spots but overall in pretty good shape. With all the rain there were also some wet areas. Most of the greens were in very good shape. A number of the greens are elevated quite a bit which sure makes club selection a lot tougher. The view from the tee box on the seventh hole is spectacular as you're looking out over the pond and see a number of fairways. The reaction from a number of members that have played it has been very positive with a number of people commenting about how tough it is. I think some of the people that normally play the black tees will be moving up to the whites. I'll be interested in hearing from some other people on the forum when they get out to play it. I give it a big
    For those who like “Parkland” type golf courses, this new nine will be to their liking. The greens are still big, some very, very big (#2) and there is a fair amount of room off the tee, however, a number of tee shots require an intentional fade or draw to get to the ideal approach position. The course is built to be playable by all levels of golfers and the large greens and generous fairway offer some forgiveness. But, unlike the front 9, do not leave the fairway as the bush is NOT cleared, yet. Depending on the blocks chosen, the length varies from 3650 from the golds, 3407 from the blacks and 3204 from the whites, par 37. Water is definitely in play on 6 of the holes and with the elevated greens, scoring will be more difficult that either of the other two nines.

While #2 says 423 on the card, that number we measured to the centre of the 90 yard green. Put the pin on the finger in back of the 60 yard pond, and it will play about 445 and into the summer time wind. It will be one of the most nerve wracking approach shots in this area. GB mentioned the view from the 7th tee as being nice, but IMO, the view from the tee of the 1st is better as you are 70 feet above the fairway, pond left, bush right, prevailing cross wind and it may be your first tee shot of the day. Good luck.

Jack Nicklaus builds good short holes into his courses and #4 at Greensmere is very unique. Lots of water left, wide landing area for a hybrid off the tee, very narrow for a fairway wood and if you can carry the driver 250, then maybe you can reach close to the base of the hill in front of the 40’ elevated green, but try stopping the ball close to the hole when the green is way above you. Today, on #7 I hit a tee shot from the whites,(380) almost to the end of the fairway, and still had a 5 iron in, over water, into the wind. Add 45 yards from the golds and it would be a FW wood for me. Par will be like a birdie.

Conditions are not ideal yet, but overall, it is quite playable. If you walk the current back(black 9) and the new gold nine, you will be tired when you finish. As there are a number of golfers who like the bulldozed, contrived courses like SB, this nine may not be your cup of tea, however, for those, and I would wager it’s the majority, who prefer the pleasant surroundings of the “parkland” style of golf courses, and a good test, give it a try this summer.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You and Gerry have piqued my interest. When I get back into town, I will be playing it. I can hardly wait.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    For those who like “Parkland” type golf courses, this new nine will be to their liking. The greens are still big, some very, very big (#2) and there is a fair amount of room off the tee, however, a number of tee shots require an intentional fade or draw to get to the ideal approach position. The course is built to be playable by all levels of golfers and the large greens and generous fairway offer some forgiveness. But, unlike the front 9, do not leave the fairway as the bush is NOT cleared, yet. Depending on the blocks chosen, the length varies from 3650 from the golds, 3407 from the blacks and 3204 from the whites, par 37. Water is definitely in play on 6 of the holes and with the elevated greens, scoring will be more difficult that either of the other two nines.

Thread Information