CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Once filled with unlimited potential, Wie now surrounded by trouble

HAVRE DE GRACE, Md. (AP) - Phil Mickelson withdrew because of a wrist injury and flew home to San Diego for an MRI. He saw two doctors, had one cortisone shot and decided to withdraw from his next tournament.

More...

9 Iron pheenster is on a distinguished road
    For a sneak preview of the end of this story, see Capriati, Jennifer or (worse) Marinovich, Todd.

As sick as I am of pretty much anything to do with Wie, I am starting to feel seriously sorry for this kid. Right now she needs the support of her family, but they appear to be the ones driving their 17-year-old gravy train towards a nasty wreck.

Not a pretty sight.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I called this over a year ago. Too many greedy people using and abusing the talent for their own gains. This is a kid who's being paraded around like a show pony, and having her head filled with all kinds of crap disguised as the truth. Very sad.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    For the amount of money she has already made and will make over the next few years, I wouldn't cry too many tears for her.

The people throwing money at her are wasting it.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Why do you say that Dan?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    She kind of reminds me of our very own Jarred Pearl...........nix that, she's over 6 feet tall isn't she

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Initially I would have said no because she was in the limelight in a positive way. Right now though I would have to agree.

However, if I were in her shoes I would have jumped at it in a second. After all, who in their right mind would turn down that kind of money to play golf for a living?

Because it's getting out of control to the point of being embarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Why do you say that Dan?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I agree Dan. How much good publicity is she bringing to NIKE? I am not running out to buy any Nike golf equipment because she plays their clubs, wears their clothing etc.

She was 2 boogies away from shooting 88 and withdrew. Everyone, and I MEAN EVERYONE knew why she withdrew from that tournament on the 17th tee block. If you actually believe her wrist was that sore then you are in LaLaLand. Not once in the round was she seen massaging or rubbing that wrist. Not once did she complain or mention it to her playing partners.
    Then suddenly her agent appears, has a little chat with her and she announces "We are quitting"

I am sorry, but it is time that she and her crew of guiding adults went home. It is time for the PGA events to stop giving her exemptions (HELLO JOHN DEERE OPEN)
    I honestly feel it is time for the LPGA to stop giving her exemptions also. Let her earn her way onto the tour.

Annika summed it up best when she said she thought it was disrespectful of Michelle Wie to withdraw last week. Then be seen playing with sponsors on Monday and practicing hard on Tuesday.

I do not wish any harm towards this young lady. However she has been mishandled and misguided for the past 2 years. Her Father, although he is a Professor, is an idiot IMO. To let this farce continue is poor parenting, plain and simple.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    I feel sorry for Michelle.

As far as wasting money, I wouldn't go that far. This kid still gets more publicity than any other female golfer on the planet.

Yah, but lately it isn't good publicity. It's not like she's torturing kittens or anything, but it isn't good.

I feel for her too. Like others here I blame her handlers for getting her in too deep too fast. What a way to grow up, being puled from all directions.

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    Yah, but lately it isn't good publicity. It's not like she's torturing kittens or anything, but it isn't good.

I feel for her too. Like others here I blame her handlers for getting her in too deep too fast. What a way to grow up, being puled from all directions.
    It doesn't need to be good publicity. As long as she is still the main story on the LPGA. If she was just injured and/or playing terribly, there wouldn't be anything to talk about. However, after this, there will be a circus surrounding her whenever she tees it up again. I am sure Nike doesn't mind, as long as she still looks great in that gear.

Yeah, she has definitely gotten a whole lot of bad advice.

I know what you mean. Any publicity...

Nike was/is hoping she'll be the female Tiger. They snapped him up early and he was the real deal with outstanding training and management. They gambled on a repeat of that success and they are not getting it in my opinion.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Her Father, although he is a Professor, is an idiot IMO. To let this farce continue is poor parenting, plain and simple.
    Hey Hey Hey, careful how you throw that word around with reckless abandon my dear sir..... I own the rights to that state of mind and if he wants it, he is going to have to work alot harder than that! Now, If he ever talks about starting a COED PGA tour, then he will acquire the right immediately!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I know what you mean. Any publicity...

Nike was/is hoping she'll be the female Tiger. They snapped him up early and he was the real deal with outstanding training and management. They gambled on a repeat of that success and they are not getting it in my opinion.
    IMHO, if Wie fails to become a bonefied class A player on the LPGA our, Nike will have egg on their face.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    IMHO, if Wie fails to become a bonefied class A player on the LPGA our, Nike will have egg on their face.
    IMHO that has already happened. Hype is just hype. Try living up to it if you re in any way flawed or have flawed management.

Thread Information