CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hole in one

Sand Wedge couch26 is on a distinguished road

Hole in one

Hey Guys, I just scored a hole in one on Saturday.

It was on the 14th hole at Pine View (Main Course). I hit a beautiful 6 iron into a small breeze that went just over the right hand side bunker. I lost site of it since the lip of the bunker was blocking our view of the hole. The pin was placed front right. Sure enough, when we walked up to the green and the ball was not in sight we went straight for the hole.

Anyone else have hole in one stories?
    Does anyone know what the odds are? I've seen a range (13500 to 25000) to one on various internet sites. There must be a scale based on handicap levels.
    I'd like to get myself a small plaque to display my ball. Any suggestions on where I should look for this?

Thanks

Ace.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar

Ace

Congratulations!!!

I was with my father when he scored an ace, his first and only. It was at Pembroke Shores #15, long carry over water to a narrow green....what a feeling. First it was dis-belief, then pure joy. We were so excited I can't even remember the last three holes. Even years later we joke about it.

I'm still waiting for mine. Hopefully I won't have to wait long. I just hope I have somebody with me to witness it and share in the excitement.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking congrats

Congrats on doing something that has eluded me for 26 years of playing golf.

If only........... :crying
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Congratulations!
    I wish I had a story to tell here

Curious George
    Congrats and cool.

My brother has done it. He hit a nice shot, he watched it track towards the hole, then watched it go in.

He was ecstatic...then he realized he was out on a solo run.

Fortunately, the 2 playing in front thought he was yelling about leaving the flag down, and came back. They saw it in the cup.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Congratulations!!! Still waiting after 5 years!!!!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar

Still waiting myself....

...in my 21st year playing golf.

I've seen one though, my 75 yr. old uncle had one at Champlain a couple of years ago on what used to be the 12th hole a few layout changes ago - that's the ~100 par 3 where you tee off from an elevated tee. Might be the 16th or so right now.

It's quite a sight - can't wait for my day some time in the next 50 years!!

Mike

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    I introduced my wife to this great game in '96 & she got one in July '97. Boy, am I a good teacher or what??
    It was a 98 yarder hole (#4) at Capital Golf but it was a 9-iron not a driver. We went there because of her two "beginner" friends. I was by far the most excited of the group!!

I "Broke My Maiden" in May '99.
    First round of the year...
    The 14th at Cloverdale, back-left pin placement, 160 from the blues with a 7-wood into a gale. Cloudy & 22 degrees, about 11.37am. Actually the pin was so far back, we couldn't tell if it rolled in or off the back until we got there.
    (It's been a while, the details are a little fuzzy)

Being with my best three golfing buddies......PRICELESS

Driver Happy Gilmore is on a distinguished road Happy Gilmore's Avatar

Talking Re: Hole in one

Originally posted by couch26
    Does anyone know what the odds are?
    I read that the odds are about 27,000 to 1 for an ace.

I got my ace on September 26, 1992 (at about 2:38pm). It was at Edelweiss Golf and Country Club on the 17th hole. The hole was playing about 142 yds and I used an 8 iron at the time. The funny thing that I remember about the ace was that my friends I was golfing with, one a lefty and one a righty, both hooked their shots about the same distance from the hole. My shot went right for the pin, hit about 2 1/2 feet from the hole and rolled in. Ooooh what a feeling!
    The hole was also sponsored by Labbatts so I got 2 cases of beer, a small trophy and a little pin, that was nice.

I called my dad every week for about 2 months just to ask if he heard what I had done. I kept the ball and even let him touch it for luck, it didn't help.

Does anyone know if there are any holes on a golf course that are sponsored by a company on a regular basis? I remember that hole number 8 at the Canadian (West) used to be sponsored by Coca-Cola. If you aced the hole you would win a golf bag, golf towel and some other stuff. Nothing like putting additional pressure on your shot.
    Happy

"Play every shot so that the next one will be the easiest that you can give yourself." - Billy Casper

Sand Wedge Moose is on a distinguished road

Talking Hole in One

Congrats and welcome to the club. I scored mine on March 29th. 1998(or 1999) My memory's not that good anymore. Yes that's right March 29th. It was the earliest hole in one recorded in the Ottawa Valley. It was at the Canadian on the 3rd. hole. The group in front waved us up and I was last to hit. The hole played about 172 yds. and I used a 3 iron. The ball went straight at the hole, landed just in front of the green and rolled right up to the hole and dropped in. Of course if you listen to my playing partner that day, he likes to tell everyone that it bounced off the frozen pond first. Looking at my scorecard that day would make anyone laugh. The first three holes went like this:

8-7-1.

Something I'll never forget. What a thrill
    putterking

4 Iron ShaneOttawa is on a distinguished road
    Congratulations - what a thrill. I wish I had a story to tell, but just have a handful of near-misses myself and a few near-misses that I've witnessed (by my wife and a couple of friends, and most recently by Lorie Kane).

Did you buy a round?

As for displaying the ball, it seems to be that OttawaGolf.com used to suggest an option on the hole-in-one page. If that sponsor/link is no longer there, I suggest talking to a trophy shop - check the yellow pages for one that specifically mentions golf trophies. Otherwise, talk to Chuck Brown's.

I'd like to know what you find for display - I intend on needing such a display sooner rather than later LOL.

3 Wood Sab is on a distinguished road Sab's Avatar

Thumbs up Congrats

They say that there is one out there for everyone. My Dad just informed me that he recently got his second. Now I know where mine is.:crying :crying
    Congratulations

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar

Thumbs up Two holes-in-one shot in same round

Check out this lucky guy, two in the same round:
    A second-year assistant golf professional got the first two holes-in-one of his career during the same round on Thursday. Kevin Rice, who coaches golf and teaches English at a high school, has been golfing since he was 13. The odds of getting one hole-in-one are conservatively estimated at about 18,000 to 1. The chances of doing it twice in the same round are about 67 million to 1.
    http://www.globeandmail.com/series/golf/index.html

Lob Wedge Doooooh! is on a distinguished road

Talking Dad and buddy

My dad actually has made 2 aces at Edelweiss, one he doesn't count, and the other one that he does count. The «official» one he made on number 3. Not too sure on the description of his shot, or the club he hit, but hey the old man did it...

Prior to that, a friend of mine, who was basically just starting out at golf, made an ace at number 6 still at Edelweiss. He hit his ball nice and high, hit the front of the green, hopped and rolled into the cup. We were all jumping up and down, we couldn't believe it!

Now that's gonna leave a mark!

Curious George
    Why didn't your dad count one of them? He didn't finish the round, or was it a mulligan?

Lob Wedge Doooooh! is on a distinguished road
    Originally posted by Curious George
    Why didn't your dad count one of them? He didn't finish the round, or was it a mulligan?
    A mulligan of sorts, he shot his second ace with the second ball he was playing.
    Now that's gonna leave a mark!

beatnik58

ace

My father in law bagged one at Calabogie on the 10th hole a few weeks back. There's no talking to him now......

1 Iron sparsons is on a distinguished road

Smile I just witnessed one

My friend Patsy holed #8 at Carleton Golf Club on Sunday. It is a 116 yard hole for the front tees. It bounced once on the fringe, then rolled in the cup. The pin was up front. All four of us were jumping and yelling. Then the news got around the private club just like wild fire. People were coming up to her as we continued to play. What a feeling. I've been playing for 4 years and have yet to get one or to see one until now. What a feeling. She bought us each a beer and supper after the round.

Putter nazg is on a distinguished road

Cool

I hit my first and only hole in one last year, June 23, 2002. It was at Packenham Lake#4, 164yd (it was playing 157) and I used an 8 Iron. It was a charity golf tournament and we were playing scramble. So after the others is my group failed to hit the green, the pressure was on me to just to put the ball on the green. Well I took it one step further, I hit the ball clean, it landed where the fringe and the green meet then rolled up and disappeared into the hole.......

It was complete pandamonium, as none of us had ever witnessed a hole in one. Put it this way, EVERYBODY at the shotgun tournament heard the screams all over the course....

After the hole monitors confirmed the ball was in the hole, then snapped a few pics, we were off to complete our round.. (which was difficult, becuase it was only our 4th hole in.....)

I still get chills when I think about it......

Thread Information