100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron dmr is on a distinguished road dmr's Avatar

Stone wall - relief or not?

This situation occured yesterday morning and we weren't sure what to do.

We were playing the 9 hole course at Metcalfe and my ball came to rest against the stone wall behind the 7th green. I thought this was an unplayable lie, my partner thought I should get free relief from the immovable obstruction. Which is right? I didn't even think until now to look at the local rules on the card to see if the wall is mentioned there.

My other question is about finding the nearest point of relief assuming it was free relief. Would the nearest point of relief be the nearest point where I can make any swing or the nearest point where I can make a swing while alligned with the hole.

thanks
    dan
    "I killed a guy with a trident." Brick Tamland

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    It's an immovable obstruction unless it is deemed an integral part of the course. The most famous example of this is the Road Hole at St. Andrew's.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Is the wall back of #17 at St. Andrews not part of the boundary of the course? This would be why it is NOT an obstruction.

My other question is about finding the nearest point of relief assuming it was free relief. Would the nearest point of relief be the nearest point where I can make any swing or the nearest point where I can make a swing while alligned with the hole.
    What is the status of the stone wall at Metcalfe?

If it is an obstruction, the nearest point is the point which gives you complete relief from the wall, stance or normal swing, NOT nearer the hole. From that point, you drop the ball within 1 club length, again not nearer the hole. If this happens to be in a bush or in a very difficult spot, the rules say "tough bananas." Your other options are to play it as it lies or declare it unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Is the wall back of #17 at St. Andrews not part of the boundary of the course? This would be why it is NOT an obstruction.
    IIRC it is not a boundary.

A little googlage found the following from the RCGA. Apparently the wall is a boundary but the road is what has been deemed an integral part so that when you are on it you don't get relief from the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by RCGA
    The Committee must clarify in the Local Rules which objects are integral to the course and therefore not covered by Rule 24-2, i.e. relief under the obstruction rule. Common examples of this would be walls surrounding teeing grounds or roads that are adjacent to boundary fences. The most famous example of this is the road adjacent to the 17th green on the Old Course at St Andrews, Scotland. The road is such a fundamental part of the character of the hole that players are not entitled to relief without penalty when their ball comes to rest on it. It also happens to run adjacent to the boundary wall and the Committee does not want a player to consequently get relief from the wall if their ball happens to lie on the road next to it.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    If the rock wall is not a boundary fence ......and isnt an intregal part of the course
    Oh , and as long as there is nothing else interferring with stance or swing , i.e. bushes etc

Then yes , free relief .....but what hasnt been mentioned is that when you take relief , it doesnt include line of sight/flight

So your nearest point will highly likely be the OTHER side of the wall ....

Hope your carrying a 60deg wedge in your bag

Thread Information