100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the magic wand

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Question the magic wand

Moi matching ,spined shafts, square drivers, single axis swing, custom fitted, true length technology, single lentgh clubs and the list goes on and on. At the end of the day what did all of that do for your handicap??????
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Over the past few years I have gradually tuned my gear to the point that I am quite happy with the fit (went through my share of shafts) and the setup (currently happy with the mix of driver, hybrids, irons).

In 2004 my average handicap was around 12.
    In 2005 it was around 10.
    In 2006 it was just under 9.
    I'm currently just under 7 and I'm pretty sure I haven't been above 8 all year.

At least some of that is equipment related because my comfort/confidence level is high and I know exactly what every club can do distance wise.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I'm with JV on this one. I've actually kept a set for longer than a month and I've found my scores have been pretty consistent. I've had fewer bad blow up rounds. Although I haven't had as many low rounds as I usually do, the consistency far outweighs the really bad rounds.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I'm with JV on this one. I've actually kept a set for longer than a month and I've found my scores have been pretty consistent. I've had fewer bad blow up rounds. Although I haven't had as many low rounds as I usually do, the consistency far outweighs the really bad rounds.
    Wait, Hold on here.....................June 5, 2007 Geoff Johnston agrees that keeping a set of clubs longer than a month allows for consistency that far outweighs the really bad rounds..........

OK got it!!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    it has done nothing for me. well wait, my bank account is severly diminished. my index has been the same for as long as I have been keeping track of it, mostly due to the fact i cannot find the time to play enough or practice at all.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Wait, Hold on here.....................June 5, 2007 Geoff Johnston agrees that keeping a set of clubs longer than a month allows for consistency that far outweighs the really bad rounds..........

OK got it!!

Hahaha! Funny guy. But you noticed I said my low rounds aren't as low. That excitement of hitting a new stick goes a long way to making you play better. I think I'm in that comfort rut. I need to spice things up a bit......oh yeah, I have some new shafts on the way this week.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Over the past few years I have gradually tuned my gear to the point that I am quite happy with the fit (went through my share of shafts) and the setup (currently happy with the mix of driver, hybrids, irons).

In 2004 my average handicap was around 12.
    In 2005 it was around 10.
    In 2006 it was just under 9.
    I'm currently just under 7 and I'm pretty sure I haven't been above 8 all year.

At least some of that is equipment related because my comfort/confidence level is high and I know exactly what every club can do distance wise.
    Would you mind usuing your 2004 clubs this coming Sunday?? Now that might give me a chance at you.... otherwise, I will enjoy the last 8 hoiles tremendously. Either that, or I will have to wear shoulder bads, a jock strap and a helmet Ya thats it, Forum Match Play FULL CONTACT golf!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Moi matching ,spined shafts, square drivers, single axis swing, custom fitted, true length technology, single lentgh clubs and the list goes on and on. At the end of the day what did all of that do for your handicap??????
    IMO, the single axis swing has helped in the consistency of my shot making and when the putting is good the handicap factor stays reasonably low. I enjoy the MOI matched irons as they all feel the same when I swing them - a confidence builder. They are like a set of octuplets.

At 61 I have lost some distance but the accuracy normally more than makes up for that loss. However, my recent disc problems have caused some flaws to creep into my swing and some unusually bad games have resulted.

The things you listed above when combined, will certainly help, but 95% of the game is still how you swing it and how you putt it. Convincing others of this, I am finding is all but impossible.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Would you mind usuing your 2004 clubs this coming Sunday??
    Sorry, bringing the good sticks. Whether I bring the good game is another matter entirely.

Thread Information