August 17, 2001 -- MARKHAM, Ont. -- Strong winds that cast much of the field adrift Friday at the Canadian Women's Open set Kelly Robbins on course for her first LPGA Tour win in two years.

Robbins safely navigated her way to the centre of the greens at Angus Glen and came away with a 3-under-par 69 for a two-day total of 10-under 134 and the clubhouse lead with Rosie Jones late in the second round. Jones, who drew a late start today, also carded a 69.

"I played Monday when it was blowing so I kind of knew how the course would play when I looked out the window of my hotel room," said Robbins, 31, a 9-time winner on the ladies' circuit. "That was an extreme amount of wind."

"I didn't even bother checking the pin placements. I just went for the middle of the greens."

Korean star Se Ri Pak, who co-led with Robbins and Rosie Jones after Thursday's first round, carded an even-par 72. She shares third place at 7-under with Maria Hjorth of Sweden.

Canada's Lorie Kane rallied with three birdies over her final four holes for a 69 and sits four shots back of the leaders at minus six.

"Angus Glen really showed its teeth today," said Kane, 36, who started her round on the 10th hole. "That was one of the toughest winds I've played against in a long time."

Kane knocked a 5-iron to 30 feet on the par-4 6th and sunk the birdie putt then made another when she got up and down from a greenside bunker on the par-5 7th.

She was just short of the green on the par-5 9th and pitched to six feet. She pumped her fist to the delight of the crowd when the birdie putt dropped.

"I was nervous when I started today buy once I turned I made some good swings and gave myself some birdie opportunities," said Kane. "I feel fresh and ready to challenge the leaders on the weekend."

Fellow Canadians Dawn Coe-Jones, who opened with a 68, and A.J. Eathorne each struggled to a 74. Coe-Jones sits at 2-under 142 while Eathorne is another shot back at 143.

"Any kind of wind changes a golf course," said Coe-Jones. "You can practice in these conditions but under game conditions your addrenaline is pumping ... it was not an easy day."

SBC Futures Tour player Carrie Vaughan of Rothesay, N.B., will likely be the other Canadian to make the cut, which is currently projected to be 3-over 147. Vaughan opened with a 71 on Thursday and followed with a 73 today.

Robbins was 1-under for the day when she safely landed her second shot on the par-5 14th 25 feet from the flagstick. She read the double break correctly and rolled in the eagle putt.

"I wasn't really expecting much out there today," she said. "I knew par would be a good score."

Among the handful of other players able to make a move Friday was world number 1 Annika Sorenstam of Sweden, who fired a 68 to move into contention at 5-under.