CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Ty Webb

Bang Mellow Yellow

A buddy of mine just visited from Phoenix. He is using a Bag Mellow Yellow 420cc driver. When he pulled it out (the driver), I laughed my ass off (the VW Bug on a stick thing). When he hit the ball straigth for 280 plus. I stopped laughing. I borrowed it and hit it very well (for me). Anybody know where one can purchase this item? Anybody have any experience with this?

Ty

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    Ty,

Try www.straightballgolf.com

The guy's name is Steve. He was playing in a group ahead of me last week at Champlain. He has lots of drivers that the long ball hitter use. He is located in Ottawa as well!

Das

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Thumbs up

I got a 9 degree Bang Dark Matter from Steve Balser at Straight Ball Golf. It is awesome. It took some getting used to it, but now I am hitting it in the frairway (slight fade) and about 40 yards further than my old KZG driver. Very nice indeed.

Sand Wedge couch26 is on a distinguished road

Mellow Yellow

I have also seen them on Ebay for 129$ US with good shafts (Harrison, Penley or UST). With current xchange rates it works out to a good deal.

Driver natgolfer is on a distinguished road
    If you can assemble your own clubs then the Bang Mellow Yellow can be purchased from Custom Club Shop, for $125 plus tax/shipping. (www.customclubshop.com)

Bang's SF 360 is also a great head for those who may not like the size/colour of the Mellow Yellow.

I question the statement that any UST, Harrison and Penley is a quality shaft. My NF2 indicates that some of these shafts are very inconsistently manufactured in terms of flex and spines, so IMO are over-hyped and highly marketed. Depending on your swing speed, I would recommend an SK Fiber shaft, either the Pure Energy, $40 plus tax/shipping, or the Lite Revolution, which is about $55 to $60. Available from Golf Quip, which is Canada's version of Dynacraft.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

question

Originally posted by Dan Kilbank
    I got a 9 degree Bang Dark Matter from Steve Balser at Straight Ball Golf. It is awesome. It took some getting used to it, but now I am hitting it in the frairway (slight fade) and about 40 yards further than my old KZG driver. Very nice indeed.
    Dan. 40 yards is a lot of mileage. Are you comparing June vs June or June vs April? Do you also have a Bang 3 and 5 wood?
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 06-29-2003 at 12:36 PM.

I am not a very long hitter. My old driver was literally no better than my 3 wood, so I hardly ever hit it. It was only good for 190 - 210 yards (like my 3 wood). My Bang driver is much longer and straighter. I am now consistantly 225 -240 with it when I hit it right. I have even hit a few 280 downwind, including one on Friday, Meadows East course #5 which is 370 from the whites, I had 90 yards left for my second shot. I am really not used to that sort of length at all
    My comparison is from just before I put the new driver in the bag, to now, after 3 weeks getting used to it. Since I am hitting my other clubs all the same length as last year, it seems to be the Driver that is making the big difference.
    I don't have any other Bang clubs, but now that you mention it, a longer 3w - 5w combo might be nice

Question shaft length

Dan . What kind of shaft do you have in there? Stiff, regular? How long is the driver? How long was the other one? Was the other one Titanium? What size etc..? Thanks. André.

Bang Dark Matter 400cc 9 degree
    PST SA30 shaft
    42" from the bottom of the hozzle to the end of the shaft
    45" from the bottom of the clubface at center to the end of the shaft
    I guess that means it is 42"

The shaft has 2 bubbles, one at the base of the grip and one above the clubhead. Pretty odd looking shaft, with a "VW bug" on the end, but I like it so far

The old driver "KZG Miraging power" 9 degree is not titanium. It has an SK Fibre SL40 shaft
    43" from the bottom of the hozzle to the end of the shaft
    45.5" from the bottom of the clubface at center to the end of the shaft.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Ball go far ?

Dan, any idea what causes your ball to travel the extra distance ?
    All of us 95-110 shooters need to know. I got a nice club from Andre which travels 240 on the range but loses 40 yards once I swing it on a real course.:crying

holding back

Gofish. Usually it's the other way around as some ranges carry limited flight balls. Also ranges in general keep the grass a litlle longer than fairways therefore less roll. Could it be that you're holding back once you get to the course i.e afraid to miss the fairway? Bang clubs have spring faces some of them conforming and some of them non conforming. Your Harvey Penick is made out of "cyber steel" and has a spring face. I've hit it a long way but the nut that I am I went out and got something else. So you really got me there.

The Bang Dark Matter 9 degrees is a conforming club.

I am not an equipment expert. I have no idea why it does what it does, but it does. I asked Steve to come in and answer that one.

By the way, we will be giving one away as the big door prize at the OttawaGolf Open on Aug 17 www.ottawagolf.com/open/index.htm

Ty Webb
    Bought one from the internet. <$200.00 CDN all inclusive. Ordered the Penley shaft. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks to all who replied.

TY

Birdie Slammin' Stever is on a distinguished road Slammin' Stever's Avatar

Talking Ball go far.

Dan,
    The two main reasons that your ball on an average goes futher are tied in with the component head and shaft. The dark matter is true cryo Titanium. Compared to alfa miraging steel it is a harder surface. Alfa miraging steel is a nickel/steel composite that is rated at around 55 on the rockwell hardness scale. Regular Beta Titanium is around 44. The higher the number the harder the surface.

15-5 stainless steel is rated at around 22, which most good steel drivers and fairway woods are made of. When the cryogenic process is done on this steel it shifts the hardness scale to an amazing 80.
    So Titanium shoots up to over a 100. This means that the harder the surface the more energy transfer to the ball especially on miss hits. Thus the further the ball goes.

This combined with the deep face allows for some awsome repeatable distance even if you do not hit it in the screws all the time.

The shaft is a very good quality high preformance shaft that is designed using two proven features. It has the bubble in the handle like the Taylor made bubble shaft this allows for a repetative mid kick point. Your ball will not balloon on you nor not get off the ground. So you will maximize you carry off the tee. Tee it high and let it fly!

It also has a bubble on the bottom of the shaft, much like the steel apollo shadow hump shafts. This design is very effective to reduce torque and minimize twist at impact. It also allows a quick kick towards the target.

This shaft is a premium shaft so no doubt you will have good results.

For more info on BANG products please let me know.

Thanks,

Stever

Last edited by Slammin' Stever; 06-30-2003 at 05:19 PM.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Very Interesting (Sgt. Shultz?)...

Dan, obviously you are pleased. What was the price, did they fit you to match your swing speed & is there any warantee for breakage?

Thanks,
    George

$350 Steve took my measurements and then gave me a variety of sticks to take to the range based on the measurements, and I chose the one that suited me best.
    When I told him which one I liked, he laughed and commented that I had good taste, since that was the finest quality shaft of the bunch
    I had to take the demo shaft since there was no other immediately available, but he put a new head on it for me.
    Not sure about warranty, but I'm sure Steve will let us know

Birdie Slammin' Stever is on a distinguished road Slammin' Stever's Avatar

Thumbs up Warranty...

My warranty is on workmanship and components for one year. This would mean I would replace the defective part at no cost to you.

Thanks,

Steve

question

Steve. Any idea what the modulus is on that thing?

Thread Information