CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15
    Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    I dont play the course often. I actually got lost on the way into the course parking lot. When did they change that form coming in off jockvale? LOL
    You definitely don't play it a lot. That changed two seasons ago.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Any updates on the final match gentlemen?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Sunday Eagle Creek - I don't know the time... I cannot play in the final match due to my back injury.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Yeah... Eagle Creek on Sunday @ 2:56. Hopefully there'll be enough daylight!

Info updated - good luck. Give me a call at home with the final results. I'll send you my phone numbers by PM.

Final match results: mjf vs. leftylucas @ Eagle Creek

mjf wins - 1up

It was quite a battle that finished in near total darkness. We both played under our handicaps. Luc was great to play with/against.

I'll probably post a more detailed blow-by-blow on the match tomorrow.

Looking forward to trying to become the 3-time defending champion next year!

MJF

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Congrats Mike......
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Congrats!

Congrats Mike! I'll give you your prize at the Forum day next week. LeftyLucas, I'll send a PM so we can meet and I can give you your prizes.

mjf wins a 2008 Reservation Masters membership and 2 free rounds at Golf-O-Max
    Leftylucas wins 1 free weekday (Mon-Thurs until Nov 07) Green Fee to Greensemere and 1 free round at Golf-O-Max

I will volunteer to organize this next year again. It was very easy to do and I have no problems doing it again next year.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    A great match for sure, back and forth, really too bad the last hole was played in virtual darkness, it definitetly affected the outcome. Congrats to Mike in any case, we had a great time. I outright beat Mike on the front with a 41 but I could not keep it up for the back. Congrats again Mike.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    A great match for sure, back and forth, really too bad the last hole was played in virtual darkness, it definitetly affected the outcome.
    I agree... if it hadn't been so dark, I think I might have drained that birdie putt on the last!

So... In case anyone's interested, here's my perspective on how the final match went down (feel free to pipe in Luc!). Again, it was a great match and leftylucas hit some awesome shots... he's definitely a superb match-player. I had an excellent back nine (1-over) and I needed it!

Here's the summary:

#1 - 368 yard Par 4

My 20-footer for birdie had a chance but just missed. Then leftylucas drained his 6 footer for par to halve the hole.

#2 - 510 yard Par 5 -- All Square

After pretty much skulling my 60-yard 3rd short to the back of the green, I 3-putted for bogey. Lefty had a great up and down from off the back of the green for par to win the hole.

#3 - 348 yard Par 4 -- leftylucas 1-up

A great drive and approach shot left me about 8-feet for birdie. I missed the putt but par was good enough to win the hole.

#4 - 175 yard Par 3 (played about 150 today) -- All Square

We both hit the green although Lefty's shot was much closer. We both two-putted for par.

#5 - 384 yard Par 4 -- All Square

Another great drive and approach shot left me about 4 or 5 feet for birdie. Lefty holed a 6 or 7 footer for bogey. My birdie putt hit the edge of the hole but didn't drop. Lefty got a stroke on this hole so it was halved.

#6 - 398 yard Par 4 -- All Square

Hitting my tee shot into the drink did me in on this hole, although the way I played the rest of the hole didn't help either. We both doubled the hole but lefty's stroke gave it to him.

#7 - 488 yard Par 5 -- leftylucas 1-up

Lefty birdied this hole and got a stroke on it to boot... so my bogey didn't do much for me.

#8 -- 187 yard Par 3 -- leftylucas 2-up

Lefty hit a great tee shot and ended up parring and winning the hole.

#9 -- 406 yard Par 4 -- leftylucas 3-up

I nailed a drive and hit what I thought was a decent approach shot only to find out it was still about 30 feet away. I got a bit excited over the putt and left myself a 5-foot comebacker. Lefty cozy'd his par putt nice and close. So now I'm standing over a 5-footer that I need to make to avoid going FOUR DOWN thru 9. I hit it pefectly and it went in dead-center. This was the turning point for me. If I missed that putt, I think I'd have probably packed it in.

#10 -- 388 yard Par 4 -- leftylucas 3-up

I had a solid par and lefty doubled this one so his stroke didn't help him out here.

#11 -- 162 yard Par 3 -- leftylucas 2-up

I hit a really good tee shot here and was feeling pretty good about myself until lefty put one in right next to mine. We both two-putted to halve the hole.

#12 -- 498 yard Par 5 -- leftylucas 2-up

I had about 40 yards left for my third shot and, fortunately, my ball stopped about 2 feet outside of the waste area short of the green. I hit it stiff and my birdie won the hole.

#13 -- 415 yard Par 4 -- leftylucas 1-up

Lefty's tee shot found the hazard left so my bogey was good enough to win the hole.

#14 -- 395 yard Par 4 -- All Square

We both hit into the waste area off the tee. Lefty made a great up-and-down from left of the green for par and my birdie putt inexplicably turned right 2 inches short of the hole. I was sure it was going to drop in the right side but... no.

#15 -- 199 yard Par 3 -- All Square

I hit a superb hybrid to about 6 or 7 feet of the hole and was feeling VERY good about myself and then lefty did it again... He hit HIS hybrid to about 2.5 feet. I drained my birdie putt and so did lefty.

#16 -- 412 yard Par 4 -- All Square

I hit a terrible low duck hook into the trees. I was fortunate to find the ball and I was able to hit it out sideways back into play. My third shot left me about 55 yards into the pin and I knew I had to hit a good one because lefty was getting another stroke here. I'm pretty sure my shot ran over the edge of the hole... We both ended up doubling the hole but lefty's stroke gave him the win.

#17 -- 409 yard Par 4 -- leftylucas 1-up

A good drive and approach shot left me about 20 feet from the hole and my par was good enough to win this one.

#18 -- 553 yard Par 5 -- All Square

It was almost completely dark by the time we teed off #18. By the time we got to the green, the main source of light was a tiny sliver of the moon. Although it was challenging to see the hole and read the break, I was able to cozy my 25-ish foot birdie putt up to within a foot and this was enough to win the hole and the match.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sounds like a great match!

Congratulations! Email me for instructions on activating your RM membership.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Well done MJF nice job!
    leftylucas, well done to make it that far as well

(btw - final results for the MatchPlay pool on NCGT site are now posted http://www.nationalcapitalgolftour.c...6/Default.aspx
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Love the play by play.. Congratulations to both of you on an exciting round.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Thanks Steve, it could have gone either way, I made a conservative decision due to the darkness to layup from 165yds instead of going for the green because at that point we were all struggling to even find the ball in the fairway. That cost me the match but I had my chances to close Mike out and he played very well on the back to win it. Missed my bogey putt by 2" that would have halved the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    Well done MJF nice job!
    leftylucas, well done to make it that far as well

(btw - final results for the MatchPlay pool on NCGT site are now posted http://www.nationalcapitalgolftour.c...6/Default.aspx
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    That was one fine match and what the game of golf is all about, You could have used all of the forum members with flashlights on the last hole

Actually Mike and I joked about that on the way to the fairway, "I knew I should have brought my 500w spotlight!"
    Lefty Lucas

Yeah... a full moon would have been helpful too!

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Congratulations to Mike who is an undefeated matchplay animal on this forum.
    And to Luc for being the first runner up.

Thread Information