100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Wilson Staff 40 year old irons

Does anybody know what a set of Wilson Staff irons with aluminium, yes thats right, aluminium shafts are worth? My friend is looking to sell these wich are about 40 years old. Any info on where to get a price would be appreciated.
    Thank You
    Mark

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    My guess would be 50 bucks. Unless of course they are mint late 1960s Bulletbacks or Buttonbacks. Other than those two, older Wilson blades do not retain a heck of a lot of value.

Reid

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Thanks Reid for the info and i dont think they are Bulletbacks or Buttonbacks.

If you can post a pic of the face and back I can tell you exactly which model and year.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Go take a look on The House Of Forged website and see if those irons are listed on there. That might help.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    There is a certain set of old Wilson Staff's I'm interested in. It's a long shot but I'm curious now to know what year they are from.

ironfinder.com is a good place to identify old irons. I think the ones I want are late 70',s Staff Tour Blades, just after or before the fg17s, I'd have to look it up again.

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wknd_Warrior View Post
    There is a certain set of old Wilson Staff's I'm interested in. It's a long shot but I'm curious now to know what year they are from.

ironfinder.com is a good place to identify old irons. I think the ones I want are late 70',s Staff Tour Blades, just after or before the fg17s, I'd have to look it up again.
    The Tour Blades came before the F-17 but are very close in design.

Thank you everyone, i will ask my friend to post some pics and that will help to find out the year.
    I just saw the irons and found a link to them wich i have posted.They are indeed BulletBacks, 1969 model with aluminium shafts.They have the original grips on them (very slick) and he has the driver, 3 wood, and 4 wood.

I believe they are the 1969 mdels.(Bullet Backs?). Here is the link: http://www.wilson.com/wilson/staff/hist_vintage.jsp

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I believe they are the 1969 mdels.(Bullet Backs?). Here is the link: http://www.wilson.com/wilson/staff/hist_vintage.jsp
    With aluminum shafts, that is the correct head. I had a set and they were excellent but reshafted with Dynamic "S" steel, no Dynamic Gold in those days.

Putter scn1231 is on a distinguished road
    I have a full set of 1969 staff bullet backs with aluminum shafts in good shape, what do you think they would be worth ?

Quote Originally Posted by scn1231 View Post
    I have a full set of 1969 staff bullet backs with aluminum shafts in good shape, what do you think they would be worth ?
    Well, I just gave my Bulletbacks away for free to a friend. Mind you mine had steel shafts, however I don't think the aluminum shafts add any value.

Unless they are in really, really mint condition old irons in general don't have a great deal of value.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Putter Fritz is on a distinguished road
    Marcos - It's been a long time since your original post but does your friend still have those bulletback irons and woods with the aluminum shafts?

PM sent

Ftritz, just spoke to my friend and he still has the clubs.
    Let me know.
    Marc

Marcos,

The very first set of new premium clubs I ever owned was a set of the '69 irons and woods that you seem to be describing here. Of course I ordered the aluminum shafts because they were the trick piece of the day. It was one of the first attempts by the industry with light shafts. I still think these particular irons and woods are among the prettiest that Wilson Staff ever sold. The aluminum shafts were only offered for just a few years as I recall in the late '60s and early '70s. Improvements in steel came along and although I never experienced any problems with them, they did have something of a reputation for unforgiving bending and breakage. I loved that old set of sticks and I was thinking about them yesterday when I stumbled across your blog while surfing the internet.

I'm not sure of the 'book' value on these clubs if there is one. Unless they are really mint, I would second the opinion that an average-conditioned set might fetch between $75 - $150. The aluminum shafts are a curiosity more than a genuine rarity and I'm not sure there are that many people out there like me who might be interested in them for sentimental value.

If I was your friend and he was still interested in selling them, I would take some good pictures and consider offering them on e-Bay with a reserve. There's a lot of collectors who browse e-Bay so it might be his best chance to have his clubs seen by a wide audience. The aluminum shafts are the key on these. One can refinish the woods, have the irons rechromed and all of them can be regripped but they just simply aren't making any more of these aluminum shafts. Personally, if they are stiff shafts and it is a complete set of restorable irons and woods, I'd probably bid on them but I'd have to see some good pictures.

Thanks for your reply - may you always hit 'em long and straight!

Fritz

Thanks Fritz.

Do you know what kind of price your friend has in mind?

Par rhh7 is on a distinguished road rhh7's Avatar
    I have the GolfWorks Maltby GOLF CLUB IDENTIFICATION & PRICE GUIDE IV:1950-1998.

This book shows the '69 Staff irons with aluminum shafts had an original retail price of $198, current trade-in value of $130. My book was published in November of 1999.

Thread Information