100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar

Anybody know where a good junk yard is these days?

About 16 years ago I remember driving through Gatineau's hwy. 5 or 50 and getting off at Lorrain Blvd. to drive my mother's 84 Mercury Lynx to a junk or salvage yard for them to get an old (but better condition) gas tank off a similar vehicle and install it on the Lynx for me. They clearly had more than one as I remember the first one had a non-functioning gas gauge relay and another LEAKED!!!

On an aside, that day I think I did the dumbest thing I ever did while driving - after they put the second tank on I headed home. Filled up, of course, and while waiting to pay inside, someone came in and asked who owned the black car outside because it was leaking LIKE A TAP!) I threw money on the counter and jumped back into the car. I literally raced back to the place ("safely" going through a red light in the process - couldn't afford to wait!!) and got the car back for them to put a third "new" tank on... a tank that worked fine and lasted the 5 years we kept the car. Imagine what would have happened had a spark ignited that nifty trail of combustible material I was leaving behind!!!

Anyway, my wife drives a crappy car now... a 2001 Saturn SL1 with 208,000km on it. I was told a few months ago that the oil pan was dented or something and needed replacing at some point. Because it wasn't a big deal I did nothing about it as an oil pan apparently costs somewhere north of $300. And since we don't plan on driving it much past September (not worth making huge repairs on its engine and emissions system and it would fail the drive clean test for the second time) I don't want to put much cash into it.

Does anyone know where I could go to get a similar type of servicing done within a half hour to an hour of here? It's leaking pretty badly now and I'd like to get it done within the next few weeks...

Thanks!

Mike

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Here is a place in carp.

http://www.davesautoparts.on.ca/

However, it doesn't look like they have any "2001 Saturn S oil pans" in stock on their online inventory.
    Back at it.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    Here is a place in carp.

http://www.davesautoparts.on.ca/

However, it doesn't look like they have any "2001 Saturn S oil pans" in stock on their online inventory.
    What a referral! I just called the guy and he did to me what I often tell people when they call me about something computer-related. Given my scenario he suggested that I go to Canadian Tire and pick up some "JB Weld" and gave me instructions as to what I need to do to stop the leak. Not a great solution, he said, but if it's only for a few months or so, I should be able to "band-aid" it for the time being.

Now that's what I call service.

I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work, I'll definitely be heading over there to have them do the work. They definitely live up to their motto on their website.

Thanks man!!

Mike

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    On sheffield in Ottawa South I drove by today they have like a city of scrap it's just MASSIVE i'm thinking they may have wahtever if you looked hard enough.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
    What a referral! I just called the guy and he did to me what I often tell people when they call me about something computer-related. Given my scenario he suggested that I go to Canadian Tire and pick up some "JB Weld" and gave me instructions as to what I need to do to stop the leak. Not a great solution, he said, but if it's only for a few months or so, I should be able to "band-aid" it for the time being.

Now that's what I call service.

I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work, I'll definitely be heading over there to have them do the work. They definitely live up to their motto on their website.

Thanks man!!

Mike
    I grew up in Carp so I knew about the place, but I have never used them. I am glad they were good to you ... makes a Carpie proud.

I worked, as a "petroleum transfer technician" (gas jockey if you will), for a good mechanic in Stittsville and he used Dave's alot for reconditioned parts. Saved me a bundle over the years with the "junky" cars I have owned.
    Back at it.

Thread Information