+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar

Visiting NHL Accomodations

I'm hoping somone can settle a bet I have with a co-worker
    The question is; when visiting NHL teams are in town, where do they stay?
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Is it not usually the new hotel they built close to the Scotiabank place and Golftown because of proximity?
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    The majority of teams now stay at the Brookstreet (Terry Mathew's Hotel in the Kanata High Tech Park). They used to stay at the downtown at the Westin

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    The majority of teams now stay at the Brookstreet (Terry Mathew's Hotel in the Kanata High Tech Park). They used to stay at the downtown at the Westin
    Yep. Definitely the Brookstreet.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    some used to stay at the Chateau Laurier as well...not its mostly the Brookstreet.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    I thought that there was some "contract clause" where the team had to be put up in the closest hotel with a 4 star rating (may be 4 or 5 stars not sure).

And there was some resistence to the Brookstreet bumping the Chateau Laurier, because of the relative lack of amenities close by to the Brookstreet.
    Back at it.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3 View Post
    I thought that there was some "contract clause" where the team had to be put up in the closest hotel with a 4 star rating (may be 4 or 5 stars not sure).

And there was some resistence to the Brookstreet bumping the Chateau Laurier, because of the relative lack of amenities close by to the Brookstreet.
    I have heard exactly this from other people as well. Before the Brookstreet was built is was always either the Westin or the Chateau.

The notable exception, was apparently once in the early days of the Sens a team, I think Pittsburgh, stayed in the beautiful Luxor Hotel on Moodie drive. I would not be surprised if the travel co-ordinator was fired for that one.

The Brookstreet is twice the hotel that the Chateau ever thought of being IMO.

Teams are very happy to be 10 minutes away from the Rink and practice facility as opposed to the 40 minutes plus if they were staying downtown.........the only real issue is that Jason's closed

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I know the teams used to stay at the Westin, but it just makes sense that they would stay at the Brooksrtreet now, however I thought the Holiday Inn Select was built specifically for visiting NHL teams, no?
    I've also heard of the contract clause Stark mentioned - 5 star hotels only, so maybe this negates the Holiday Inn.
    jvincent you're right - I remember a team staying at the Luxor as well. I bet it only happened once!
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Definitely is 4 1/2+ star hotels only - and the Holiday Inn select doesn't have that rating.

My next door neighbour is a autograph collector - he gets tons of visiting team autographs at the Brookstreet

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    ...the only real issue is that Jason's closed

I recently heard it was re-opened... no?

Quote Originally Posted by jmr73 View Post
    I recently heard it was re-opened... no?
    Yes.............As a Chineese Food Buffet

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Definitely is 4 1/2+ star hotels only - and the Holiday Inn select doesn't have that rating.

My next door neighbour is a autograph collector - he gets tons of visiting team autographs at the Brookstreet
    They used to stay at that Holiday Inn. My cousin is a PR rep for an NHL team and they would stay there. That hotel believe it or not was rated above 4 stars. They used to stay downtown when the Sens played at the Civic Centre. I'm also pretty sure the clause for distance from rink was added to the contract fairly recently.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I was under the impression that somewhere in the players agreement they get to stay at 5 star hotels.. Before Brookstreet, Westin and Chateau were the only two that met that qualification.. My buddy was telling me last week a friend of his was staying at the Brookstreet and was all dressed in Sens gear.. Had a couple pints and he and his buddies were getting a bit roudy.. The manager asked them to leave the hotel for 10 minutes.. The Sabres were on their way down...
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Your bang on Lance Doug MacLean is a personal friend of the family and I've discussed this with him on a few different occassions. The players are entitled to stay at 5 star hotels, but not every NHL city has one within a reasonable drive of the arena (thus the 4 1/2+ star) . In Ottawa it was always the Westin and Chateau Laurier until the Brookstreet opened.

Your bang on Lance Doug MacLean is a personal friend of the family and I've discussed this with him on a few different occassions. The players are entitled to stay at 5 star hotels, but not every NHL city has one within a reasonable drive of the arena (thus the 4 1/2+ star) . In Ottawa it was always the Westin and Chateau Laurier until the Brookstreet opened.

Not ALWAYS my friend. As I said, a family member of mine is a PR rep for an NHL team(I will ask his permission to disclose which one), and they stayed at that Holiday Inn on numerous occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Not ALWAYS my friend. As I said, a family member of mine is a PR rep for an NHL team(I will ask his permission to disclose which one), and they stayed at that Holiday Inn on numerous occasions.
    Could this have been before the Brookstreet opened? Maybe some teams considered the drive from downtown to the Scotiabank place to be too far..........that said, I can't find any rating service that rates the Holiday Inn Select higher than 3 1/2 stars...........don't get me wrong, I put my parents in there when they come to visit, and I love Grafeti's

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    How appropriate
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I know they used to stay at the Westin but wouldn't be surprised if some teams chose to stay in Kanata. For sure the brookstreet now. What a nice hotel got to stay there last year for a night.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Could this have been before the Brookstreet opened? Maybe some teams considered the drive from downtown to the Scotiabank place to be too far..........that said, I can't find any rating service that rates the Holiday Inn Select higher than 3 1/2 stars...........don't get me wrong, I put my parents in there when they come to visit, and I love Grafeti's
    Yeah they stayed there before Brookstreet was around. I was only saying before, they didn't ALWAYS stay downtown. They used to stay at the hotel in Centrum.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Yeah they stayed there before Brookstreet was around. I was only saying before, they didn't ALWAYS stay downtown. They used to stay at the hotel in Centrum.
    That makes sense to me - hop, skip and a jump from the rink and the good eats at Baton Rouge

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Heatley stayed at the Holiday Inn at Centrum just after he was traded from Atlanta. The company I work for was having a sales force meet and greet there the day he checked in, and one of our female reps spotted him in the lobby. She grabs him by the arm and drags him upstairs into the meeting rooms we were in. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights when she led him in, toothless grin and all.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Yeah that's like 2 mins away from work. No way I'm gonna eat food there...
    Last edited by LBH; 05-28-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter View Post
    Yeah that's like 2 mins away from work. No way I'm gonna eat food there...
    My thought exactly! What were they thinking?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've actually eaten there.

It's pretty funny actually. They painted/redecorated but you it's pretty obvious where the stage was and it definitely doesn't have a normal "restaurant" feel.

The food was actually not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I've actually eaten there.

It's pretty funny actually. They painted/redecorated but you it's pretty obvious where the stage was and it definitely doesn't have a normal "restaurant" feel.

The food was actually not bad.
    Friday night take out standard. Awesome egg rolls and general tao's chicken - seriously

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I know at least 1 team always stays at the Château Laurier (past 3 years) and had their morning skate at the Ottawa University arena. I actually was going to go at the practice this year but the damn game was change to 3:00 PM start so no morning practice...

I had a chance to meet my friend after the game but didn't ask him where he stayed this year.

Putter sergueibig is on a distinguished road sergueibig's Avatar
    The Hilton Gatineau Hotel is only a Hotel of 5 Stars in Canada.

Putter sergueibig is on a distinguished road sergueibig's Avatar
    Maybe do you know why is staying in Luxor Hotel?

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I know for a fact that the Ducks stayed at Chateau Cartier during the cup final last year. I saw a couple of them drive in and out with rented Ferrari, porches, Lamborghini, Hummers…
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Thread Information