100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbad View Post
    C`mon...Emery is playing his heart out!! That 3rd (?) goal tonight from Phillips was NOT his fault.
    Are you serious?!?

That goal was Totally his fault. What was he doing out of the net?? He makes a 6 inch pass to Phillips, puts it in his skates then lolly gags back into his crease........that one is on Emery 100%

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Are you serious?!?

That goal was Totally his fault. What was he doing out of the net?? He makes a 6 inch pass to Phillips, puts it in his skates then lolly gags back into his crease........that one is on Emery 100%
    Wow...talk about someone wanting to fail...that's unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Wow...talk about someone wanting to fail...that's unbelievable.
    I don't understand your comment sensfan....

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Are you serious?!?

Emery admitted himself that it was his fault, that he put Phillips in a bad situation. Shows that Ray's a stand up guy.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

As much as I hate to admit this the vast majority of "fans" in this city could learn a thing or two from the Laugh Nation. Here is a team that has done squat for 40 Years yet their "Fans" stick with them through thick and thin.

We have a team who is still in the cup finals and they are being burried on the talk radio shows, the paper media, the chat rooms and at the water coolers - and they are still playing for Christ sake.

Everyone needs to give their heads a damn shake and realize that only 2 teams make it this far and we are lucky enough to have one of them.

Might they lose? Of course they might lose, but I don't think for one second that they are out there dogging it.

Are they playing their best obviously not, but maybe we need to give some credit to the Ducks for that.

What we do need to do is support the team when they are winning AND when they are losting.

Hell I bet there are Leaf fans out there who still believe that the Leafs can win the cup this year..........

3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    Hear hear! My buds who are die hard sens fans are so back and fourth, its like they have split personalities. They are the first to give up even when its not even over.

As much as I hate to admit this the vast majority of "fans" in this city could learn a thing or two from the Laugh Nation. Here is a team that has done squat for 40 Years yet their "Fans" stick with them through thick and thin.

We have a team who is still in the cup finals and they are being burried on the talk radio shows, the paper media, the chat rooms and at the water coolers - and they are still playing for Christ sake.

Everyone needs to give their heads a damn shake and realize that only 2 teams make it this far and we are lucky enough to have one of them.

Might they lose? Of course they might lose, but I don't think for one second that they are out there dogging it.

Are they playing their best obviously not, but maybe we need to give some credit to the Ducks for that.

What we do need to do is support the team when they are winning AND when they are losting.

Hell I bet there are Leaf fans out there who still believe that the Leafs can win the cup this year..........

Very well said!

Only two teams make it to the cup final, and only one wins. Being a fan, I'm enjoying the ride. Would I like to see them win? Of course! But they might lose, because the other team is pretty good (really!). And if they lose, people do have the right to point fingers at anoint players with goat horns if they so desire, but really, why spend your energy on frustration and venom when you could be just enjoying the experience? After all, the cup final may not come to our town again for another 80 years.

And if I hear one more person say that Player A isn't trying and Player B doesn't care, I am going to throw up. Do you really really feel, in your heart of hearts, that there are players who are intentionally dogging it to the detriment of the team? I seriously doubt it. Each and every one of these players has worked their entire lives to get to this point, and the last thing they're gonna do is not give it their full effort - regardless of our perception.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Very well said!

Only two teams make it to the cup final, and only one wins. Being a fan, I'm enjoying the ride. Would I like to see them win? Of course! But they might lose, because the other team is pretty good (really!). And if they lose, people do have the right to point fingers at anoint players with goat horns if they so desire, but really, why spend your energy on frustration and venom when you could be just enjoying the experience? After all, the cup final may not come to our town again for another 80 years.

And if I hear one more person say that Player A isn't trying and Player B doesn't care, I am going to throw up. Do you really really feel, in your heart of hearts, that there are players who are intentionally dogging it to the detriment of the team? I seriously doubt it. Each and every one of these players has worked their entire lives to get to this point, and the last thing they're gonna do is not give it their full effort - regardless of our perception.

OK, I'll give you the above bolded remarks. But perception is a huge thing. And unfortunately the things the players do out on the ice gives the perception of not giving it their full effort. For instance, how many times this playoff season have you seen Redden or Mezsaros hurry a play to avoid a body check instead of staying hard on the puck, taking the hit to make the play? How many times have you seen a player stop or turn back to pass instead of taking the opportunity to drive to the net to try and get a shot? How many blind dump passes up the middle or give away passes up the middle do they have to make before it looks like they are trying? How many times do they have to give up on a race to the puck in the corner only to miss the bodycheck before it looks like they are trying? I hope you can see the point I'm trying to make it. Sure they may be "giving it their all", but with all the little mistakes and dumb plays they make it sure comes across as they are not leaving it all out on the ice. If it meant that much to them, start racing for those loose pucks, drive to the net for rebounds, hard shoot outs, crisp passes etc. Doing all of those will change the perception most have of the team right now.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    OK, I'll give you the above bolded remarks. But perception is a huge thing. And unfortunately the things the players do out on the ice gives the perception of not giving it their full effort. For instance, how many times this playoff season have you seen Redden or Mezsaros hurry a play to avoid a body check instead of staying hard on the puck, taking the hit to make the play? How many times have you seen a player stop or turn back to pass instead of taking the opportunity to drive to the net to try and get a shot? How many blind dump passes up the middle or give away passes up the middle do they have to make before it looks like they are trying? How many times do they have to give up on a race to the puck in the corner only to miss the bodycheck before it looks like they are trying? I hope you can see the point I'm trying to make it. Sure they may be "giving it their all", but with all the little mistakes and dumb plays they make it sure comes across as they are not leaving it all out on the ice. If it meant that much to them, start racing for those loose pucks, drive to the net for rebounds, hard shoot outs, crisp passes etc. Doing all of those will change the perception most have of the team right now.
    To a great extent, the things you describe above - the 'dumb' plays - have to be attributed, at least in part, to the tactics employed by the opposition. Ottawa didn't make it to the Stanley Cup Final without doing more things right than wrong.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

To a great extent, the things you describe above - the 'dumb' plays - have to be attributed, at least in part, to the tactics employed by the opposition. Ottawa didn't make it to the Stanley Cup Final without doing more things right than wrong.

Absolutely, I wholeheartedly agree with you here. The Sens were probably the most dominating team throughout the first three rounds of any team. I just wish that team showed up for the finals.

But with your remark about the tactics employed by the opposition, at which point do you blame the coaching staff for not coming up with another game plan to try and counter those tactics? I am not putting the sole blame on the players, the coaching staff has to be held responsible here as well.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

and what was with Alfie shooting the puck at Niedermayer ?

Quote Originally Posted by hello_world View Post
    and what was with Alfie shooting the puck at Niedermayer ?
    There are far worse things that happen during the course of any playoff game than this. First, I don't necessarily believe his intent was to hammer it at Niedermayer - but I don't think he really cared either way. We have no idea what is being said during the course of a game or a series, and if it was intentional, then I'm sure Alfie had his reasons, so move on.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

There are far worse things that happen during the course of any playoff game than this. First, I don't necessarily believe his intent was to hammer it at Niedermayer - but I don't think he really cared either way. We have no idea what is being said during the course of a game or a series, and if it was intentional, then I'm sure Alfie had his reasons, so move on.
    Move on? that's what the sens will be doing... moving onto the golf course.

COme on, that was not a good choice by Alfie. It makes ottawa look real bad. Although we have seen Alfie's true colors before in the past so it didn't surprise me. Poor poor judgement, poor leadership. Come on, you can't shoot a puck at a player like that.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Move on? that's what the sens will be doing... moving onto the golf course.
    Just a head's up - the Stanley Cup finals is the last series in the playoffs so the Ducks will also be moving on to the golf course along with all the other teams that didn't make it to the finals, or the playoffs.
    As far as blowing our best chance at a Cup - we heard that same thing last year and the year before that and the year before that etc.
    Sens in 7
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

We will agree to disagree on the 'who wants it more' debate. It's a non-starter for me. To this point, the Ducks have been the better team, to their credit. The Sens have the horses to be the better team, but to date, they've not been. To a man though, I don't think one team 'wants it' more than the other. One team is however, doing the necessary to get win, while the other one isn't.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

We will agree to disagree on the 'who wants it more' debate. It's a non-starter for me. To this point, the Ducks have been the better team, to their credit. The Sens have the horses to be the better team, but to date, they've not been. To a man though, I don't think one team 'wants it' more than the other. One team is however, doing the necessary to get win, while the other one isn't.

And sometimes you have to agree to disagree with someone. Lord knows I've done it many times on here.

But I wouldn't underestimate the desire factor 3Jack. Just look at Chris Neil in game three. Right from the opening faceoff you knew he realized how much that game meant. And what do you know, he scored a goal. Desire! He was doing everything in his power to help his team and he was rewarded for it. I just wish everyone on the team played like that every night, every shift. This would be a different series entirely.

And sometimes you have to agree to disagree with someone. Lord knows I've done it many times on here.

But I wouldn't underestimate the desire factor 3Jack. Just look at Chris Neil in game three. Right from the opening faceoff you knew he realized how much that game meant. And what do you know, he scored a goal. Desire! He was doing everything in his power to help his team and he was rewarded for it. I just wish everyone on the team played like that every night, every shift. This would be a different series entirely.
    I agree with you there! The desire the Neil, the team, and the city showed on Saturday was spectacular... I think it was something that was very difficult to match 48 hours later though... it's almost like the emotion was spent on Saturday by the players and they city - Saturday we had the entire day to build up to the game - I honestly think that it being a Saturday heightened the level of anticipation for everyone - but Monday was drab, the weather, everyone back at work, and no one was able to match Saturday's intensity... it's almost like both the city and the players didn't have that gas in the tank after the first period... (not for lack of desire or effort though, lol), but just because it may have been too hard to sustain that level of energy, and once that was spent, the better team took advantage.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I agree with you there! The desire the Neil, the team, and the city showed on Saturday was spectacular... I think it was something that was very difficult to match 48 hours later though... it's almost like the emotion was spent on Saturday by the players and they city - Saturday we had the entire day to build up to the game - I honestly think that it being a Saturday heightened the level of anticipation for everyone - but Monday was drab, the weather, everyone back at work, and no one was able to match Saturday's intensity... it's almost like both the city and the players didn't have that gas in the tank after the first period... (not for lack of desire or effort though, lol), but just because it may have been too hard to sustain that level of energy, and once that was spent, the better team took advantage.

That could be very well what happened. The city was definately a buzz on Sat.

That could be very well what happened. The city was definately a buzz on Sat.
    Indeed it was! I'll not soon forget it, quite a day for the city...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Not sure really, but the series isn't over yet! Perhaps they have some adjustments to reveal yet, and perhaps they've got more gas in the tank to force this series to go longer... I certainly think they can do it.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hello World... That is so funny, such an original bit of humour there. Interesting that 28 other teams are ahead of Ottawa on the tee at the golf club though.

I suppose you think that Mats Sundin is a class act... chucking his broken stick into the crowd a couple of years ago in frustration... or perhaps Tie Domi blindsiding Scott Neidermayer with an elbow was an act of poetic justice.

What Alfie did was wrong, but it hardly detracts from the work he's done here or the leadership he's shown. Ottawa would not be where they are right now without his talents.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

What Alfie did was wrong, but it hardly detracts from the work he's done here or the leadership he's shown. Ottawa would not be where they are right now without his talents.
    Its just funny that after he works so hard to get here, that he ruins it by acting the way he did. What would have happened if he hit Neiderymeyers skate and broke his ankle? I don't think a true leader would ever do something like this. I would expect it from somebody like Tie Domi or any other leaf goon, but not the captain of the team.

Watch, as soon as the sens are beat out everybody will be back to yelling for the Sens to trade him again. The fans of this team are so flip flop it wouldn't surprise me...

Its just funny that after he works so hard to get here, that he ruins it by acting the way he did. What would have happened if he hit Neiderymeyers skate and broke his ankle? I don't think a true leader would ever do something like this. I would expect it from somebody like Tie Domi or any other leaf goon, but not the captain of the team.

Watch, as soon as the sens are beat out everybody will be back to yelling for the Sens to trade him again. The fans of this team are so flip flop it wouldn't surprise me...
    Or if he had hit Niedermayer in the helmet or face.....

But even with that gaff (which I think was a weak attempt at trying to get some emoting going from the Sens side), other than the final, I think Aflie has proved his worth to the franchise. If he could play the regular season at the level he played at during the first three rounds he would be a Hart trophy candidate.

Centerfield... and it was only a tryout... I didn't make it past day two - man, that was a looooong time ago!

No worries, didn't take it the wrong way at all...

I think the effort was there in the second, but it was misguided... I got the feeling that they felt they had them where they wanted them, but rather than attacking, they got back on their heels a bit then couldn't get their foot back on the gas as they had it in the first...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

[quote=3Jack;185910]Centerfield... and it was only a tryout... I didn't make it past day two - man, that was a looooong time ago!

quote]

Not past day two, too bad. Still quite the experience I'm sure. Well done.

Outstanding stuff!!

Saturday night I watched the game at a friends house in Kanata. He rigged up his back yard with a massive HDTV, strung tarp to cover us from any rain that might fall, and had Senators paraphanalia decorating the entire yard. I have some pics at home, I'll try to post them tonight...

It's never been more fun to be an Ottawa fan than right now, despite being down 3-1. I would love to see another Saturday night game just for the atomosphere this city had on Saturday last!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    It's never been more fun to be an Ottawa fan than right now, despite being down 3-1. I would love to see another Saturday night game just for the atomosphere this city had on Saturday last!
    Agreed 100%.
    Even though the series is not going the way we would like, let's enjoy the ride!
    SENS IN 7
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Eastwood and York, pointed out a very interesting fact on 1200, they mentioned average ice time for various players, Neil-Fisher-Schaefer-Mcammond-Saprykin all the best players for Ottawa so far average .30 secs to .37 secs. Spezza-Heatley-Alfie average .59 - .56 - 1.01 respectively, compared to .32 .38 for Selanne-Macdonald-Getzlaf-Perry-Penner, i think that is a very important stat, especially when you compare how much more intense Anaheim as been the further the game goes on, i also have played some competitive hockey in my day and im sure everyone can agree playing at that level you cant do more then .30 -.40 secs playing full till.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    Eastwood and York, pointed out a very interesting fact on 1200, they mentioned average ice time for various players, Neil-Fisher-Schaefer-Mcammond-Saprykin all the best players for Ottawa so far average .30 secs to .37 secs. Spezza-Heatley-Alfie average .59 - .56 - 1.01 respectively, compared to .32 .38 for Selanne-Macdonald-Getzlaf-Perry-Penner, i think that is a very important stat, especially when you compare how much more intense Anaheim as been the further the game goes on, i also have played some competitive hockey in my day and im sure everyone can agree playing at that level you cant do more then .30 -.40 secs playing full till.
    I heard that stat too but i think a reason for that is the matchups that are happening.... either the mcdonald line is coming off faster so the shut down line can be out against alfredson... or the alfredonson line stays out longer to get a chance to play without the shut down line
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post

I was going to point that out as well. I know that Alfie wants to help his team, but he has been taking really long shifts (especially in the third period yesterday). He was staying out well after the rest of his line was gone, and just didn't have the legs to do anything useful for the last 30 seconds of his shifts. Go out for 40 seconds, and go out HARD. Then get off and let the fresh legs on. They won on saturday because they were rolling four lines, and they kept the energy up.

Thread Information