100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar

same old same old

Originally Posted by Hacker
    Even if that does happen (and I don't think that it will) at least the Sens players can say that they saw the Stanley Cup awarded which is more than 28 other teams can say...................and something that the 'other' Ontario team can't claim for the past 40 years!!

yep lets get the Blue Team involved
    Last edited by rancherJ; 05-31-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spacing

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rancherJ View Post
    Originally Posted by Hacker
    Even if that does happen (and I don't think that it will) at least the Sens players can say that they saw the Stanley Cup awarded which is more than 28 other teams can say...................and something that the 'other' Ontario team can't claim for the past 40 years!!

yep lets get the Blue Team involved
    You can not get the BLUE TEAM involved. Why? Because they have to get into the "PLAYOFFS" to be involved

Hey Sens Fans, calm down. It is not like the Sens have been "BLOWN OUT" of the first two games. Sure they are down 0-2. However teams have come back from that in the past. Sure they have been outshot. But that is why a HOT GOALIE earns his pay, to keep his team alive.
    Two wins at home and bingo the series is even. Yes a road win would have been nice, and now they have to win 1 out of 2 on the road. Been done in the past and it can be done again now.
    All of the above statements from a SHARKS FAN
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Funniest thing is that all my buddies who are Sens fan told me how much depth Ottawa had and that Anaheim has none. I'd like to point out to those of you who are still living in a technicolour world that Ottawa have THREE players with 10 points or more..Anaheim have SEVEN!

What was that about depth again?

Perhaps they need to have a look at the tapes from the Oilers vs. Ducks series last season. It's basically the same team they are playing against minus Pronger of course, not to mention, the Sens have more talent than the Oilers did.

Time to wake up and smell the roses.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    those of you who are still living in a technicolour .
    umm...perhaps you mean dreaming in technicolour?

Time to wake up and smell the roses.
    umm...perhaps you mean wake up and smell the coffee?

Regardless, there are only 2 teams left and the Sens are one of them. Go ahead and bash them all you like, they are still an excellent team having an excellent playoff run.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    umm...perhaps you mean dreaming in technicolour?

umm...perhaps you mean wake up and smell the coffee?

Regardless, there are only 2 teams left and the Sens are one of them. Go ahead and bash them all you like, they are still an excellent team having an excellent playoff run.
    No, I meant what I said.

I'm going to go ahead and point out the obvious. They're in over their heads with the Ducks. They haven't faced a team up to this point in the playoffs with the depth the Ducks have, nor the shut down ability.

Pittsburgh was horrible defensively, New Jersey has ZERO defensive depth so matching lines was not something they were capable of doing, and the Sabres only made it as far as they did because of Miller. He couldn't carry the team to the Cup.

I'm looking in with a neutral standpoint. I don't like the Ducks, but I'm not going to be blinded because I'm not a fan of theirs. Fans tend to get that way whenever they're rooting for their team, but you can't deny the obvious issues.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar

I'm looking in with a neutral standpoint. I don't like the Ducks, but I'm not going to be blinded because I'm not a fan of theirs. Fans tend to get that way whenever they're rooting for their team, but you can't deny the obvious issues.
    Well said Edmonton and usually I disagree with everything you post
    seriously though, I'm not a ducks fan either the avatar is just to stir up the pot. you are totally right that fans get blind and biased opinions.

They're blaming the refs and the ice when they should be facing the fact that they're facing a stronger team. That being said I dont expect any sens fans to admit that due to the simple fact that true fans shouldnt give up hope. I know this.....as a leafs fan who hasn't had a reason to hope since the lockout.

NOW regarding the ice complaints, I had to laugh when one of those over the edge guys on 1200 this morning said that the sens will fair better being at home because of the better ice they'll be able to keep up with the ducks. Ummmm did I miss something? will the ducks have to continue to play on slow ice while the sens get the fast stuff? MAN those guys on the 1200 know nothing about hockey and know only about cheering on the sens.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    Well said Edmonton and usually I disagree with everything you post
    seriously though, I'm not a ducks fan either the avatar is just to stir up the pot. you are totally right that fans get blind and biased opinions.

They're blaming the refs and the ice when they should be facing the fact that they're facing a stronger team. That being said I dont expect any sens fans to admit that due to the simple fact that true fans shouldnt give up hope. I know this.....as a leafs fan who hasn't had a reason to hope since the lockout.

NOW regarding the ice complaints, I had to laugh when one of those over the edge guys on 1200 this morning said that the sens will fair better being at home because of the better ice they'll be able to keep up with the ducks. Ummmm did I miss something? will the ducks have to continue to play on slow ice while the sens get the fast stuff? MAN those guys on the 1200 know nothing about hockey and know only about cheering on the sens.

EVERYTHING?

Anyway, the ice at Scotia Bank Place is horrible. I've played there so I know. The reason it's this way is because of the humidity. There's nothing you can do when the city is a humid environment. There's a reason Edmonton has one of the best ice surfaces in the league, WE HAVE NO HUMIDITY! LOL! It's at no fault of the staff, there's simply nothing they can do. There's an exclamation mark on it though when you get deep into the playoffs because you're getting into warm times of the year in Ottawa. It's been humid there as of late has it not?

3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    are the Ottawa Senators playing in the stanely cup final? Not from what I have seen so far...

EVERYTHING?

Anyway, the ice at Scotia Bank Place is horrible. I've played there so I know. The reason it's this way is because of the humidity. There's nothing you can do when the city is a humid environment. There's a reason Edmonton has one of the best ice surfaces in the league, WE HAVE NO HUMIDITY! LOL! It's at no fault of the staff, there's simply nothing they can do. There's an exclamation mark on it though when you get deep into the playoffs because you're getting into warm times of the year in Ottawa. It's been humid there as of late has it not?
    Hey! i work for the company that designed the mechanical system for that rink! we won awards so you watch your mouth mister!
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Hey! i work for the company that designed the mechanical system for that rink! we won awards so you watch your mouth mister!
    HAHA!! I played there about 10 times and the ice was the same each time. Lots of ruts and slow as hell. It was actually similar to the Civic Centre. I played in a league there in the Spring and early summer and they had the same issues.

It's no design flaw, just that humidity is pretty damaging.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Right - they lost by such blowouts! Give me a break. This Stanley Cup is far from over.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_world View Post
    are the Ottawa Senators playing in the stanely cup final? Not from what I have seen so far...

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_world View Post
    Hmmmm, welcome to the forum
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar

ice quality

hmmm,
    the three times I have played at SB place, most recently this Spring, the ice was nothing at all like Civic center where I have also played. Edmonton has the best rep in the show but Ottawa ice is still cosidered top notch by most players.
    Last edited by rancherJ; 05-31-2007 at 09:38 PM. Reason: grammar

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    And im not disputing that for a second scott...I'm very impressed with the sens this year and I strongly believe that this is their year to win the cup, but they have to find a way to beat the ducks instead of finding excuses.

I think Heatly is the perfect example of this. He's whining about referees and the ice instead of focusing on playing a better game.
    Who's trying to find excuses? I think to a man each Senator would tell you they haven't played nearly well enough in the first two games. Heatley has been whining? If he has I haven't heard it - not to say that he hasn't, but can you back this up with quotes?

Many non-Ottawa centric commentators have however, made note that interference is now clearly back in play, and not being called. Note the difference in flow between the Sabres series and this one. Had we not had a vested interest as Senator fans in this series, we'd all be bored to death by it - vis the Ducks v Canucks, Ducks v Detroit - not exactly aesthetically pleasing hockey.

This series smacks of Toronto beating Ottawa's brains out in previous years, and of NJ beating Ottawa in the 2003 conference finals - because the rodeo is back in town babeee!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

HAHA!! I played there about 10 times and the ice was the same each time. Lots of ruts and slow as hell. It was actually similar to the Civic Centre. I played in a league there in the Spring and early summer and they had the same issues.

It's no design flaw, just that humidity is pretty damaging.
    Played there two months ago, and it was the best ice I've ever played on...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Played there two months ago, and it was the best ice I've ever played on...
    Where do you normally play? I played in the ECHL and I've played on some good and some bad surfaces. I'm not saying the ice is the worst, but it was choppy each and every time I played there.

In fact, one guy I used to play high school hockey with worked at the Civic Centre for the Sens, then moved over to Scotia Bank Place and they've always struggled with the humidity late in the season if Ottawa has a warm Spring.

It's head and shoulders better than MSG and places that have a lot of events in their arena, but it's not going to be as smooth as they want it to be.

In my opinion, the ice isn't going to make a difference. Both teams are quick when they want to be. Besides, the type of hockey both teams are playing right now does not favor a quick team anyway.

P.S- Two months ago was March and not 30 degrees plus humidity.

True, but I was more than impressed. I normally play at Jock Charron, KRC, and Mlacak - the latter of the three being the most suspect ice of all).

March was much less humid than it will be for the next couple of days, I do grant you that...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

More on ice conditions in this morning's Globe...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Who's trying to find excuses? I think to a man each Senator would tell you they haven't played nearly well enough in the first two games. Heatley has been whining? If he has I haven't heard it - not to say that he hasn't, but can you back this up with quotes?

Many non-Ottawa centric commentators have however, made note that interference is now clearly back in play, and not being called. Note the difference in flow between the Sabres series and this one. Had we not had a vested interest as Senator fans in this series, we'd all be bored to death by it - vis the Ducks v Canucks, Ducks v Detroit - not exactly aesthetically pleasing hockey.

This series smacks of Toronto beating Ottawa's brains out in previous years, and of NJ beating Ottawa in the 2003 conference finals - because the rodeo is back in town babeee!
    No specific quotes but anyone who watched the post game interviews would have heard Heatleys comments regarding the ice and the refereeing and I understand he's frustrated with losing 2 games but he's a big boy now he's going to have to deal with it.

Now I still don't understand sens fans yapping about this obstruction that is apparently taking place. Sens fans seem to be the only people getting those camera angles. I've heard people say numerous times that the ottawa forecheckers are getting knocked down before they get to the puck carrier. When has this happened? can anyone think of a specific time?

YES the referees did miss the elbow on commrie and it was a blatant elbow at that. but also sens fans prongers slash to give ottawa the 5-3 in game 2 was a brutal call and a gift to the sens. Prongers hooking call in the last minute of game 1 was a brutal call and a gift to the sens. its a nature of the game guys bad calls go both ways. The refs are human and will make mistakes. BUT there is no conspiracy to keep the stanley cup in the states.

Now... do the sens have what it takes to be the 2nd team in history to come back from 2 games to none in the stanley cup final?... not against these ducks.

Quack Quack
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

No specific quotes but anyone who watched the post game interviews would have heard Heatleys comments regarding the ice and the refereeing and I understand he's frustrated with losing 2 games but he's a big boy now he's going to have to deal with it.

Now I still don't understand sens fans yapping about this obstruction that is apparently taking place. Sens fans seem to be the only people getting those camera angles. I've heard people say numerous times that the ottawa forecheckers are getting knocked down before they get to the puck carrier. When has this happened? can anyone think of a specific time?

YES the referees did miss the elbow on commrie and it was a blatant elbow at that. but also sens fans prongers slash to give ottawa the 5-3 in game 2 was a brutal call and a gift to the sens. Prongers hooking call in the last minute of game 1 was a brutal call and a gift to the sens. its a nature of the game guys bad calls go both ways. The refs are human and will make mistakes. BUT there is no conspiracy to keep the stanley cup in the states.

Now... do the sens have what it takes to be the 2nd team in history to come back from 2 games to none in the stanley cup final?... not against these ducks.

Quack Quack
    To tell you the truth, I thought Ottawa shied away from a lot of physical stuff because they were being penalized for it. A few Ducks were turning their backs at the last minute to get calls. When Comrie got called for boarding in the first, he hit the player from the side and he turned into the boards.

McCreary is a horrible referee. He hates the Canadian teams. He screwed over Edmonton big time last year against the Red Wings in more than one game. So they do have some warranted complaining.

I'm looking forward to the two games in Ottawa though. I'd like to see a close series, not one that's lopsided. There's nothing more the Oilers fans want to see than Pronger losing in the final.

True, but I was more than impressed. I normally play at Jock Charron, KRC, and Mlacak - the latter of the three being the most suspect ice of all).

March was much less humid than it will be for the next couple of days, I do grant you that...
    I found KRC to be BLOODY COLD MATE!! HAHA!! I used to play against the Blazers when I played in the CJHL and the ice was always so-so. Do you play in a men's league out there?

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    They're in over their heads with the Ducks. They haven't faced a team up to this point in the playoffs with the depth the Ducks have, nor the shut down ability.
    I wouldn't say they're in over their heads, I think the Sens do have the talent to compete with the Ducks, but I also agree that the Ducks are by far the best team the Sens have faced.
    As far as blaming the refs - we all know that's all lame-ass excuse, they just need to out-work the Ducks, and be stronger on the puck. Not an easy task.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    I wouldn't say they're in over their heads, I think the Sens do have the talent to compete with the Ducks, but I also agree that the Ducks are by far the best team the Sens have faced.
    As far as blaming the refs - we all know that's all lame-ass excuse, they just need to out-work the Ducks, and be stronger on the puck. Not an easy task.
    I think they're in over their heads only because it doesn't seem like they prepped for the team they thought they were going to face. That's all. I'm not saying they can't skate or play with the Ducks, it's just that they look like a team who isn't really interested in winning right now. That has to change if they want to make a series of this.

As for the excuses with the refs....Well I mean if they were getting scored on during all the PP's and they were horrible calls, then I guess it could be an excuse, but clearly, Anaheim is scoring at full strength so that's not the issue.

They just need to play desperate hockey for the rest of the series and they should be okay. Emery needs to wake up. He is playing well, but those lame goals like Getzlaf scored in game one are momentum killers.

I think they're in over their heads only because it doesn't seem like they prepped for the team they thought they were going to face. That's all. I'm not saying they can't skate or play with the Ducks, it's just that they look like a team who isn't really interested in winning right now. That has to change if they want to make a series of this.

As for the excuses with the refs....Well I mean if they were getting scored on during all the PP's and they were horrible calls, then I guess it could be an excuse, but clearly, Anaheim is scoring at full strength so that's not the issue.

They just need to play desperate hockey for the rest of the series and they should be okay. Emery needs to wake up. He is playing well, but those lame goals like Getzlaf scored in game one are momentum killers.
    Lame goals?... the getzlaf one wasnt lame...people say emery should have had that one but I really thing getzlaf fooled him into thinking he was going to make a cross crease pass and when he opened his five hole to push post to post getzlaf fed it home.

The game winner in game 2 wasnt lame by any means. It was a perfect shot through corvos legs, emery really didnt have a chance. Emery is not the reason the sens are down 2 games.

and correct if im wrong...which im not ...both referees for game 2 were canadians.

McCreary - Guelph Ontario
    Watson - Regina, Saskatchewan
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Lame goals?... the getzlaf one wasnt lame...people say emery should have had that one but I really thing getzlaf fooled him into thinking he was going to make a cross crease pass and when he opened his five hole to push post to post getzlaf fed it home.

The game winner in game 2 wasnt lame by any means. It was a perfect shot through corvos legs, emery really didnt have a chance. Emery is not the reason the sens are down 2 games.

and correct if im wrong...which im not ...both referees for game 2 were canadians.
    The goal Getzlaf scored was horrible man. ALL of the analysts were saying how that blew the momentum and he needs to have that. Getzlaf didn't even get all of it when he backhanded it in. I never said ALL of the goals were lame, in fact, most were nice shots. That one was lame though and everyone has been talking about it all over the sports shows.

Yes McDonkey and Watson are both Canadian, but they also both have a 'thing' about making horrible calls in the spotlight. I'm fine with calling everything if and only if it's called the same for both teams. It was very obvious that wasn't the case in game two.

Keep in mind, these comments and opinions are coming from a neutral standpoint. They're not made with blinders on because I'm a Sens fan.

I found KRC to be BLOODY COLD MATE!! HAHA!! I used to play against the Blazers when I played in the CJHL and the ice was always so-so. Do you play in a men's league out there?
    Grew up playing in northern Ontario so I guess I'm used to cold barns! Played in a high-tech company league a few years ago and we played out at Richmond Arena - now that's some cold at 10 PM on a winter's night!

Played in the Glen Cairn Men's League this year at JC. KRC is just weekly pickup with some pals.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Grew up playing in northern Ontario so I guess I'm used to cold barns! Played in a high-tech company league a few years ago and we played out at Richmond Arena - now that's some cold at 10 PM on a winter's night!

Played in the Glen Cairn Men's League this year at JC. KRC is just weekly pickup with some pals.
    Coldest rink in Ottawa is Bell in the middle of the winter. BRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

it doesn't seem like they prepped for the team they thought they were going to face.
    Agreed.
    I think game # 1 can be excused because of the long layoff and the fact the Ducks are a team they don't know alot about, but there's no excuse for not showing up for game # 2.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Quack Quack
    On the play where Comrie was called for boarding, a Ducks player took out the Sens defender at the blue line, well before he had a chance to play the puck. Blatant interference, allowing the puck out of the zone, but no call. And it occurred about 10 feet from the spot Comrie was called, so the ref was looking in that direction. I initially thought the penalty was going to be on Anaheim, not Comrie.

Thread Information