+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    well i dont want to get into it here but the sens will have to say goodbye to a few core players plus there star goalie inthe offseason. so enjoy your run sens fans because this is your last shot for awhile.
    GOOD LORD, I have to give up my signature
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    well i dont want to get into it here but the sens will have to say goodbye to a few core players plus there star goalie inthe offseason. so enjoy your run sens fans because this is your last shot for awhile.
    Huh?

Here's a list of the unrestricted free agents for Ottawa:

Ottawa Senators
    Defense
    • Tom Preissing
    • Lawrence Nycholat
    Forward
    • Mike Comrie
    • Dean McAmmond
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Birdie Sensgirl is on a distinguished road Sensgirl's Avatar
    The "star goalie" won't even get an offer sheet

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    Following players will need to be extended (even though i said i didnt want to get into this)
    Saprykin
    emery
    McAmmond
    Kelly

emery will not stay for less then gerber and nobody will take gerber at 3.5 million
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    this is killing me. i am in Madrid, just got home from a nightclub and its 3:45 am here....and I don't think i can stay up for the rest of the game.....arghhhhhhhhhhh
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Following players will need to be extended (even though i said i didnt want to get into this)
    Saprykin
    emery
    McAmmond
    Kelly

emery will not stay for less then gerber and nobody will take gerber at 3.5 million
    Why will they have to be 'extended'?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Come on Jeff. I am in Tehran right now and it is 5:17 am. I have been up all night. YOU CAN DO IT.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    this is killing me. i am in Madrid, just got home from a nightclub and its 3:45 am here....and I don't think i can stay up for the rest of the game.....arghhhhhhhhhhh
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Saprykin
    emery
    McAmmond
    Kelly

• Saprykin was a rental who they may or may not keep, certainly not a core player
    • Emery can't leave as he is not an unrestricted free agent. He can request a trade, but that's unlikely to happen
    • McAmmond is unrestricted and can leave if he wants, it's unfortunate as he was a solid player
    • Kelly is still young, may be a restricted free agent, and will earn more money, but 3/4 line money as is McAmmond and Saprykin here in Ottawa. If those two want to stay, they will have to accept 3/4 line money.
    But how is that the core of the team being ripped apart? I think losing Chara and Havlat last summer are bigger loses than Saprykin or McAmmond.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Boys.. can we beat these guys?? 14 shots midway through the third.. We are on D all game.. I am not liking what I am seeing at all.. If we can steal this game it could be huge.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

I am one of the biggest Sens fans going.. I can't watch this.. Alfie lets that guy walk right by...

I am feeling for Emery tonight.. He was lights out.. Can't win with 14 shots on net and playing D all night...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Except for Emery, absolutely pathetic. I'll leave it at that.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    There's a long way to go yet, but the Ducks are looking tough to beat. They can beat you so many ways. As much as it is tempting to get down on the Sens play (which admittedly has not been stellar), many of their mistakes have been caused by a relentless Ducks forecheck. They have to be given full credit for completely shutting down one of the best offensive teams in the league. If the Sens are going to have a chance, I think they are really going to need to buckle down defensively. They need to create more offence, but they can't be allowing half the scoring chances they are right now. It's got to be defence first for the rest of the series: rely on the PP and a speed-based counter attack for offence, and focus on keeping the shots to the outside on defence. Way too many passes to the front of the net are connecting for Anaheim. Emery is playing fantastic, but you'll never win a game with zero goals. They have to come out flying on Saturday, and the seventh man is going to have to do their part. The fans have got to be behind them the whole way if they are going to take two at home.

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    Poor Emery. That had to be their worst outing yet of these playoffs. They'll turn it around at home.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

OK, maybe I "won't leave it at that":

Spezza is playing scared, he won't carry the puck into the Duck's zone. Always passes off or dumps the puck. Usually to the middle of the ice.....for a giveaway.

Forwards are intimidated by the Duck's defence, or so it would appear. How many times have you seen the Sens try to take the puck to the middle of the ice to create some offence????? Not many, always going wide.

Get some shots. Instead they keep just dumping the puck or looking for a pass. Take the shot, crash the net.

Quit with the dump out giveaways from your own zone. Anaheim's offence is too quick on the counter attack to be doing that.

I will give the Ducks credit, they are playing high energy and high pressure hockey, but if the Sens get back to some fundamentals they can make a series out of this.

Side Note: Corry Perry should be ashamed of himself the way he flops around out there. Have seen it a few times in both games. That hit Volchenkov laid on him, he saw it coming and turned. The trip later in the game, he skated into Preissing's stick and fell over it. The hit Kelly (I think) put on him early at the Duck's blueline, watch it in slow motion, he tries to sell a head shot or something when he goes down. And I won't even comment on the way he acted after he threw the shoulder at Fisher when they were going for the puck. He looks like a soccer player out there. And I thought Derek Roy was bad.......
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Ive been having this argument at work about Emery at work as well. As a restricted free agent other teams are able to make offers to Emery. Sens can match it. now because of the cap space going up I cant see why the sens wont match any offer given to him to extend his contract for a couple years at least. As for Gerber. The only way that they will unload him is to eat up the majority of his contract themelves and make it an offer that anouther team cant refuse(after all he is good luck gerber). This team can stay together for the most part for one more season after this.

Saprykin
    emery
    McAmmond
    Kelly

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I have to disagree with almost everything you said there (though I agree that Perry is flopping around).

I don't think Spezza is playing scared. He's been told not to try carrying the puck in, because every time he does, it gets turned over. You will not beat the Ducks at the blue line. You have to beat them in the corners and in front of the net.

Same goes for taking the puck to the middle. There's not much point trying to drive the middle with pronger, neidermeyer, or beauchemin in there. The only way to play against their defence is to do exactly what Anaheim is doing...dump it in, and chase it like hell. The only scoring chances Ottawa generated tonight were off of recovered dump ins and hard work behind the net.

What do you mean by dump out giveaways? I read that to mean: "stop flipping the puck out of the zone so that their defencemen can recover it and come right back in." If that's what you mean, then I have to say that I'd much rather them make the safe play and dump it out that try to make a fancy pass at the blueline and turn it over there.

This series will not be won on fancy breakouts. It will be won on grinding, physical, back to basics hockey. Ottawa can't be afraid to play Anaheim's game. Sure, Anaheim is big, but the Sens can throw their weight around with the best of them. You don't have to kill the guy..just hit him hard enough that he remembers it the next time he sees you coming, and hope he rushes and gives it away (as Anaheim has been doing so effectively to Ottawa.

Caddy knickers is on a distinguished road knickers's Avatar
    Also the sens are not out of this series at all. Coming home will do them good but obviously they will need to win these 2.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I have to disagree with almost everything you said there (though I agree that Perry is flopping around). And that is your opinion and you have every right to. But I'm glad you agree with Perry.

I don't think Spezza is playing scared. He's been told not to try carrying the puck in, because every time he does, it gets turned over. You will not beat the Ducks at the blue line. You have to beat them in the corners and in front of the net. Good luck on that one, the Sens will not beat the Ducks in the corners. A better effort might help, but I just don't see them beating the Ducks at their own game. They have to try and play their game and open it up some. His line actually created some offence in the first three rounds by actually gaining the zone and making something happen. The Sens puck retrieval in the corners hasn't been up to par with their previous series wins. Maybe its time they try something new.

Same goes for taking the puck to the middle. There's not much point trying to drive the middle with pronger, neidermeyer, or beauchemin in there. The only way to play against their defence is to do exactly what Anaheim is doing...dump it in, and chase it like hell. The only scoring chances Ottawa generated tonight were off of recovered dump ins and hard work behind the net. Which were few and far between because they didn't have much puck support. And I don't expect them to try and split the defence, but once you get a step outside on a defencemen try and get to the net, instead they dump the puck in the corner. And shoot the puck!!!!!!!

What do you mean by dump out giveaways? I read that to mean: "stop flipping the puck out of the zone so that their defencemen can recover it and come right back in." If that's what you mean, then I have to say that I'd much rather them make the safe play and dump it out that try to make a fancy pass at the blueline and turn it over there. I'm not talking about a fancy pass, if the d-man is coming out of the zone and there is no break out pass, get it hard off the boards of glass. Too many times this playoffs the puck has been flipped to centre ice and the opposing team has counter attacked. It led to Anaheim's second goal in game one. If you don't have a break out pass, you shoot the puck hard enough that it will get in to your opponent's end at least. Leaving the puck at centre ice does you no good.

This series will not be won on fancy breakouts. It will be won on grinding, physical, back to basics hockey. Ottawa can't be afraid to play Anaheim's game. Sure, Anaheim is big, but the Sens can throw their weight around with the best of them. You don't have to kill the guy..just hit him hard enough that he remembers it the next time he sees you coming, and hope he rushes and gives it away (as Anaheim has been doing so effectively to Ottawa.
    See my replies in bold.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Some serious line changes required , the ducks are all over the big 3 .But home ice will be a big advantage , and Emery was fantastic. This is far from over.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    cmon people, look at the one thing that matters most in a series.... LAST CHANGE!! You think Carlyle is gonna keep Niedemyer/Pronger together hoping that Murray will be nice to him and put Spezza/Alfie/Heater against Paulsson/Niedemeyer/Neidemeyer/Pronger (i am forgetting the 3rd forward)??? Of course not, they are gonna put the Spezza line against Neidemyer and O'Donnell and the 2nd or 3rd line.

This series is supposed to be you win at home, the Ducks have done that and now the Sens have to do the same. People say the series is over, but the playoffs were set-up to go 2-2-1-1-1. The home team is meant to win... i know we don't like how they lost, but they still had great chances to tie at the end of the games. They'll come back

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    This series is supposed to be you win at home
    Exactly!

No need to jump ship yet, the Ducks did what they needed to do, and now it's our turn ... we're gonna bring it back to anaheim even!
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

3 Iron hello_world is on a distinguished road
    looks like the sens are going to be swept if they dont win on Saturday night

16 shots on net is not going to beat the ducks. If emery doesnt play exeptional in the next 2 games then the Cup will be handed out on Monday night to 19,000 booing sens fans.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    16 shots on net is not going to beat the ducks. If emery doesnt play exeptional in the next 2 games then the Cup will be handed out on Monday night to 19,000 booing sens fans.
    Even if that does happen (and I don't think that it will) at least the Sens players can say that they saw the Stanley Cup awarded which is more than 28 other teams can say...................and something that the 'other' Ontario team can't claim for the past 40 years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Even if that does happen (and I don't think that it will) at least the Sens players can say that they saw the Stanley Cup awarded which is more than 28 other teams can say...................and something that the 'other' Ontario team can't claim for the past 40 years!!
    And im not disputing that for a second scott...I'm very impressed with the sens this year and I strongly believe that this is their year to win the cup, but they have to find a way to beat the ducks instead of finding excuses.

I think Heatly is the perfect example of this. He's whining about referees and the ice instead of focusing on playing a better game.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    And im not disputing that for a second scott...I'm very impressed with the sens this year and I strongly believe that this is their year to win the cup, but they have to find a way to beat the ducks instead of finding excuses.

I think Heatly is the perfect example of this. He's whining about referees and the ice instead of focusing on playing a better game.
    Yeah, but Heatley has a point to a certain extent. There is a lot of "obstruction" and interference going on in this series by the Ducks that's not being called, especially on shoot-ins. That being said, the Sens aren't helping themselves in this department either. Everytime a Ducks player cuts one of them off, they stop skating. It's a much, much easier call for the refs at ice level if the guy in pursuit of the shoot-in keeps his feet moving and tries to get by the defender. A couple of interference calls against Anaheim, and they'll start to back off. But the Sens need to make the effort to get this to happen.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Personally I'm surprised at vast difference between these two teams right now. It looks like the Sens were totally unprepared to face a team of the Ducks caliber.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Yeah, but Heatley has a point to a certain extent. There is a lot of "obstruction" and interference going on in this series by the Ducks that's not being called, especially on shoot-ins. That being said, the Sens aren't helping themselves in this department either. Everytime a Ducks player cuts one of them off, they stop skating. It's a much, much easier call for the refs at ice level if the guy in pursuit of the shoot-in keeps his feet moving and tries to get by the defender. A couple of interference calls against Anaheim, and they'll start to back off. But the Sens need to make the effort to get this to happen.
    you are ALMOST correct ... I know the 1200 has been talking about this "obstruction" that is taking place and I can't disagree more. What the ducks do is allowed under the new rules... they play picks.. as long as the defenders feat are moving they are allowed to be in the way... they are not expected to get out of the way of the attacking player. For example: Mike Comrie chips the puck into the corner past Pronger who is skating backwards along the boards. Pronger can continue to skate backwards in Comries way as long as his feet keep moving and he doesnt hold, hook, trip, etc. it is not a penality under the current rules. its something the ducks have done all year.

What the sens need to do is hit the ducks zone with speed.. a dump in from centre ice with wingers streaking full speed into the ducks zone and put preasure on the Ducks D... the one on one fancy dangle players will not work against the big D of the ducks.. they're big good smooth skaters.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    you are ALMOST correct ... I know the 1200 has been talking about this "obstruction" that is taking place and I can't disagree more. What the ducks do is allowed under the new rules... they play picks.. as long as the defenders feat are moving they are allowed to be in the way... they are not expected to get out of the way of the attacking player. For example: Mike Comrie chips the puck into the corner past Pronger who is skating backwards along the boards. Pronger can continue to skate backwards in Comries way as long as his feet keep moving and he doesnt hold, hook, trip, etc. it is not a penality under the current rules. its something the ducks have done all year.

What the sens need to do is hit the ducks zone with speed.. a dump in from centre ice with wingers streaking full speed into the ducks zone and put preasure on the Ducks D... the one on one fancy dangle players will not work against the big D of the ducks.. they're big good smooth skaters.
    I don't listen to Team 1200. 10 years of officiating junior hockey tells me different. I know it's easier to see from a high camera angle, but the Ducks are interfering with Sens players on shoot-ins. The stuff about the defender keeping his feet moving is true, to a point. If the attacking player chips the puck in, and and the defender matches his pace in pursuit of the loose puck then there is no interference. But, if the defender alters his path in order to obstruct the attacking player from pursuing the puck then that is interference. There's no doubt that Anaheim is very good at playing this method. The problem that I pointed out earlier is that the Sens need to continue to pursue with speed and determination in order to force the Ducks in to possibly taking a penalty, instead of pulling up. It's very easy for a ref to do nothing if the attacking player quits the pursuit, even if there is interference (again, much easier to see from above the play). Power plays come from hard work, determination, and making the other team get outside their comfort zone. The Sens aren't doing that.

(BTW - as most here know, I'm not a Sens fain either, just an interested observer )
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information