CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Exclamation Intersectionals!

Anyone start their qualifying this weekend? Had our first of three rounds today. Needless to say, my front nine was anything but good golf. Finished up at +5 (42) with the miserable weather. Rainy, windy and cold continued from the last three or four holes from the front to the start of the back. The other 3 guys I was playing with were contemplating quitting after 9. Instead we decided to trudge on. At this point I told myself to forget the front and play like you can. The others are complaining about the weather whereas it didn't bother me one bit. Opened up with a birdie and continued the solid play the rest of the way in for a +1 35. Ended up tied with two others atop the leaderboard at 77.

Now if I can just play two solid nines in round 2, I should have spot secured.

This is only my third year of playing competitive golf, but I have to say that the previous two years have definately helped my mental toughness. Like someone once said to me, the more you do it, the easier it gets. And he was right. Other than those first tee gitters, the nerves don't nearly seem to show up as often. Where in the past on tough shots or putts my thought process was "Don't mess it up". Where now my thougth process is "I can do/make this". I really enjoy the challenge of competitive golf.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    Good Luck and great score especially in these conditions today!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Well done buddy! There is no question you have the ability to do it.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Well done Geoff.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Well done my man, keep it up and that top spot will be yours

I plan on it. Loving the competitive golf.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Good playing buddy.... keep your head on the game and put any bad shots behind you and play on BTW, lmk if you need a caddy for the Intersectionals !
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Good playing buddy.... keep your head on the game and put any bad shots behind you and play on BTW, lmk if you need a caddy for the Intersectionals !

Mr. Masson kindly volunteered his services a while back, but if for some reason he can't make it I'll come knocking Bob if I grab a spot on the team. Thanks for the offer though.

Looks like I might've secured my spot today. I'm currently sitting in third place after the second of best of three qualifying rounds. I'm only two points out of being in a tie for first. Was a grinding round today. A 79 with three doubles and three birdies. Going out next Sun anyways just to make sure I secure my spot. Hopefully my current placement holds up, really excited about the chance to play in the intersectionals and test my game against others.

Has anyone else started qualifying yet at their club?

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Congrats Geoff.

Played my first two rounds this weekend. Played well on Saturday, 74 no birdies. I was T3 after the first round.

Yesterday was a different story. Ball sticking was awful. I could not managed to get anything going. No feel at all. I was coming off every shot and as much as I tried to stay in it I could not do anything about it. Good thing that my putting was decent. Saved lots of 10-12 feet pars. No birdies played 81. Standing at T5 with 57 points and one round to go. I will need another solid round to secure my spot although I’m thing 57 points should be good enough.

Golf is so hard when it come to consistency.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Congrats Geoff.

Played my first two rounds this weekend. Played well on Saturday, 74 no birdies. I was T3 after the first round.

Yesterday was a different story. Ball sticking was awful. I could not managed to get anything going. No feel at all. I was coming off every shot and as much as I tried to stay in it I could not do anything about it. Good thing that my putting was decent. Saved lots of 10-12 feet pars. No birdies played 81. Standing at T5 with 57 points and one round to go. I will need another solid round to secure my spot although I’m thing 57 points should be good enough.

Golf is so hard when it come to consistency.

Mike
    I don't think truer words have ever been spoken. Even with the 81, still very impressive Mike. Well done. What system does your club use? We use 2 pts for birdie, 1 pt for par, 0 pts for bogey and -1 pt for double or worse (maybe more for worse, but I haven't done worse than double yet to find out, thank god ).

It was a battle for me yesterday as well. But it wasn't one of those days were the swing felt off. Everything felt fine, just couldn't pull off the shots. Very frustrating, but like yourself, I had to grind it out. Grinding builds character you know, and puts hair on your chest.

In my case I’m losing the ones on my head.

I think you have a typo in your post. You have 0 points for bogies on 1 for doubles.

Our system:

Eagle 4 points
    Bird 3 points
    Par 2 points
    Bogue 1 point
    Ddbl bogue or more 0 points

You get 36 point if you play par.

My bad, subtract 1 for ddble or worst in your case.

Yup, that's how it works for us.

And you guys get a point for bogey??? Nice, that would take alot of the pressure off us.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Keep up the good play guys

I'm expecting big things from you Ryder Cup winnining types

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Yup, that's how it works for us.

And you guys get a point for bogey??? Nice, that would take alot of the pressure off us.
    Different format but it adds up to the same thing. You need to play two solid rounds bogie point or not. The subtraction of point is only a mental thing unless you get –2 and –3 points for worst scores. We pickup at double bogie.

Different format but it adds up to the same thing. You need to play two solid rounds bogie point or not. The subtraction of point is only a mental thing unless you get –2 and –3 points for worst scores. We pickup at double bogie.

You're right, but knowing you get a point taken away for double does make you worry some. But as for taking off more, I've never asked for fear it would be a bad omen and I may end up scoring a hole or two that high.

I guess nobody else tried out Intersectionals this year. Usually it’s a very busy thread…

This year we are playing at Manderly. Did Dan tryout? If I’m not mistaken he was part of the Manderly team last year!!!!

I guess nobody else tried out Intersectionals this year. Usually it’s a very busy thread…

This year we are playing at Manderly. Did Dan tryout? If I’m not mistaken he was part of the Manderly team last year!!!!

Yeah, I think he's going to try out again.

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

The Intersectional Qualify

I played 2 rounds at our qualify on the weekend and shot 74-83 for 55 points. I didn't see the standings but I heard 52 points is currently still in. I expect better scores from many players next week therefore my 55 points may not be good enough. I will have to break 80 on the final round to secure a spot.
    The Saturday was the best round yet I played at our course(I am a new member at HP). I was 5 over after 5 holes but I didn't give up and fought back and shot -1 after that. I was into it all day. The Sunday round was the opposite of the Saturday one. I wasn't into it and didn't have a clear thought about my shots. I was playing in the last group(I tied for 3rd after the first day) with the two best scores. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself to keep up with them. Or maybe a few beer during the Sen game on Saturday night!

Good luck to all of you who try out for the Intersectionals. And keep us posted.

Thom

Adn congrat Geoff for your seccess!

Thanks Thom, and congrats on your good start. Just put up another quality round like round 1 and a spot on the team will be all yours. Keep up the good play.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I had to withdraw from intersectionals this year ... allergies are killing me ...stayed in all weekend

Went out friday to warm up, and came home sick as a dog ...

Gonna try and hit the range tommorrow and see how it goes.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Yeah I played this weekend at HP as well. Just not too happy with my play these days. No confidence off the Tee, and at HP that will kill you...(82-83 for 47 points)

A really good round next Sat (sub 75) might squeek me into 10th spot! Going to need 30+ points though.

Congrats to Geoff....

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    I decided to spend valuable time with my family...for a reason or another I can't play to an acceptable level this year. I decided to pull out after firing an incredible 82(!) on Saturday and going for worst on Sunday. On Saturday, the conditions were just perfect for me. Virtually no wind, no roll (need no distance) and nice greens. First time ever I won't make the team, needless to say it's quite frustrating but I guess there are other things in life than golf!

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Panikorn View Post
    I played 2 rounds at our qualify on the weekend and shot 74-83 for 55 points. I didn't see the standings but I heard 52 points is currently still in. I expect better scores from many players next week therefore my 55 points may not be good enough. I will have to break 80 on the final round to secure a spot.
    The Saturday was the best round yet I played at our course(I am a new member at HP). I was 5 over after 5 holes but I didn't give up and fought back and shot -1 after that. I was into it all day. The Sunday round was the opposite of the Saturday one. I wasn't into it and didn't have a clear thought about my shots. I was playing in the last group(I tied for 3rd after the first day) with the two best scores. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself to keep up with them. Or maybe a few beer during the Sen game on Saturday night!

Good luck to all of you who try out for the Intersectionals. And keep us posted.

Thom

Adn congrat Geoff for your seccess!
    I was very surprised of all the bad scores from good players at HP and I also think we will see better scores next Saturday. I finished third last year with 63 points and I thing it took 55 for 10th spot.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    There are a number of formulae for determining the points, but I fail to see the purpose of subtracting a point for a double or worse.

Intersectional realities: (1) pars win more holes than birdies, (2) doubles or worse lose holes. Therefore, no penalties for doubles and no extra points for birdies, for example, 4 for a birdie. Using the straight Stableford Point system is best and may save a little time because if you are getting a double, just pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    There are a number of formulae for determining the points, but I fail to see the purpose of subtracting a point for a double or worse.

Intersectional realities: (1) pars win more holes than birdies, (2) doubles or worse lose holes. Therefore, no penalties for doubles and no extra points for birdies, for example, 4 for a birdie. Using the straight Stableford Point system is best and may save a little time because if you are getting a double, just pick up.
    My thoughts exactly, but that's how our club does it. Subtract a point for double. But we only award 1 pt for par, 2 for bird. O for bogey.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Way to go Geoff , That's my partner

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    Way to go Geoff , That's my partner

Thanks partner. Wish I could've played remotely close to that in Belleville.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. Yes I am trying out. Our qualifying is this weekend. Saturday and Sunday rounds. Wish me luck!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thread Information