CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gap Wedge lefty2 is on a distinguished road

PEI Course Recommendations?

Hi.

I'm going to PEI in July for a family vacation. Have convinced the wife to let me bring the clubs and I can head out for 1 round while we're there. So if you could only play 1 course in PEI what would it be?

BTW, I'm staying near Brackley Beach.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Cheers,

Lefty2
    [FONT=Century Gothic]lefty2[/FONT]

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road
    I was there in 2005.

My pick would be:

1) Crowbush - spectacular in every account. Their twilight was $60 after 2:00. It was over a hun before that.

2) Dundarave (I think) - there's Brudenell and Dundarave at the same place - they actually cross paths at one point. One's got red sand bunkers, the other's got white sand. I played the red sand whichever that was. It was equally spectacular. They let us tee off well before the twilight. (If you couldn't tell, we were on a budget).

I've heard Mill River is good, but I didn't play there. They wanted the same money as Crowbush's twilight, so we went back to Crowbush for a second go.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    As a displaced Islander (and former PEI Visitors Guide) I would say that the best courses closest to where you are staying are:

The Eagles Glenn
    Glasgow Hills
    Andersons Creek
    Green Gables

Brudenell and Dundarave are nice courses but not worth the drive considering where you are staying.

Crowbush is rated the #1 course on the Island but if you want to save a few buck and a little time I'd play The Eagles Glenn or Glasgow Hills.

Lob Wedge brassie00 is on a distinguished road
    Any one of the island courses are a pleasure to play. Most tend to be over priced so if money is a concern think about twilight rates.
    Crowbush is the jewel of the island always rated in the top 100 to play in Canada . If you consider this one you might want to book a tee time now. Good luck and enjoy.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    First time and one course. Have to play Crowbush

If you have apple quicktime player on your computer (free download) here is a great heliguide overview of the course and each individual hole.

http://www.worldwidegolfguide.com/hg..._overview.html

Enjoy
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    As a displaced Islander (and former PEI Visitors Guide) I would say that the best courses closest to where you are staying are:

The Eagles Glenn
    Glasgow Hills
    Andersons Creek
    Green Gables

Brudenell and Dundarave are nice courses but not worth the drive considering where you are staying.

Crowbush is rated the #1 course on the Island but if you want to save a few buck and a little time I'd play The Eagles Glenn or Glasgow Hills.
    Green Gables is undergoing renovations. It closed for the entire 2007 season.

http://www.tiapei.pe.ca/newsletters....d=350&catid=72
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post

Hmmm, I didn't know that and my Dad is a member there

Hmmm, I didn't know that and my Dad is a member there
    I hope he did not pay the 2007 green fees...............????
    Perhaps the memberships are being honoured for 2007 at one of the other Cavendish Courses (ie. Eagles Glenn, Glasgow Hills, or Andersons Creek) http://www.cavendishbeachgolf.com/golf_courses.html

He has multiple memberships, Summerside, Andersons Creek and Mill River in addition to Green Gables...he must have just neglected to mention that GG was closed

If in PEI July 29 & 30th you may want to take in the Legends of Golf at Crowbush between Mike Weir and Vijay Singh. http://legendsofgolfpei.com/index.php3?lang=E

With the Purchase of your 2007 Legends of Golf Ticket receive a Two for One Green Fee Voucher valid at any Golf PEI participating golf course*.
    Valid for play Mondays to Thursdays inclusive up to August 16, 2007. Not to be used in conjunction with any other promotional offers, specials or Tournaments.
    http://www.legendsofgolf.ca/index.ph...1018281&lang=E

Participating courses:
    Anderson's Creek Golf Course
    Brudenell River Golf Course
    Countryview Golf Course
    Dundarave Golf Course
    Eagles Glenn, The
    Eagles View Golf Course
    Fox Meadow Golf and Country Club
    Glasgow Hills Resort & Golf Club
    Links at Crowbush Cove, The
    Mill River Golf Course
    Red Sands Golf Course
    Rustico Resort Golf and Country Club
    St. Felix
    Stanhope Golf & Country Club
    Summerside Golf & Country Club

So for a $69.96 ticket you get a "two for One green Fee voucher" at any of the above courses.
    Great deal for anyone visiting the Island the end of July !!!

You can play any provincially owned course within one week of your Birthday - Luckily enough my BD is July 30

While the renovations at GG are not going to change the course significantly, Golf Course Architect Geoff Mingay mentions the "Lost Dunes Holes" at GG.
    http://www.mingaygolf.blogspot.com/

Geoff explains:
    "This image, sent to me by my friend Paul McCormack, roughly shows the site of the former fifth hole at Anne of Green Gables golf course on the north shore of Prince Edward Island. Originally designed by Stanley Thompson during the late 1930s – he was working at Highlands Links simultaneously – the dunes holes at Green Gables were battered hard by the wind and sea, damaged, and eventually abandoned.

Overall, the entire Green Gables course has been significantly altered over the years. It’s currently undergoing a comprehensive renovation orchestrated by Tom McBroom, whose course at Crowbush Cove, a relatively short trek down the same shoreline, has received millions of dollars worth of work over the past year or so to restore and preserve the existing dunes ridge and seaside holes there. Too bad the same didn’t happen decades ago at Green Gables."

Geoff will have a more detailed blog on the Green Gables history very soon.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Do yourself a favour and play Eagles Glenn. Half the price of Crowbush and a superior course in my opinion. Perfect conditions, great staff and an amazing layout. I'm heading to PEI June 22. Last year i played Crowbush, Green Gables and Eagle's Glenn

This year i want to play Eagles Glenn, Anderson's Creek and Glasgow Hills and i'll be staying in North Rustico.

John,

You'll LOVE each and every one of those courses, Guarenteed!!

I'm going home from August 18 until the 25 and I will probably play the same 3 courses as you twice each

I truly can't wait to get back to the Island. Truthfully i would love to move to PEI but it's just so hard to find decent work. Can't wait to play Eagle's Glenn again!!

6 Iron hhk is on a distinguished road
    If you play Crowbush I have one piece of advice - bring bug spray. Not the wussy biodegradable crap. Bring full strength DEET and reapply frequently. The mosquitos there are ravenous.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Do yourself a favour and play Eagles Glenn. Half the price of Crowbush and a superior course in my opinion. Perfect conditions, great staff and an amazing layout. I'm heading to PEI June 22. Last year i played Crowbush, Green Gables and Eagle's Glenn

This year i want to play Eagles Glenn, Anderson's Creek and Glasgow Hills and i'll be staying in North Rustico.
    Yes Eagles Glenn is a terrific course but a first time visitor should not expect an ocean side course. Eagles Glenn is on the south side of Route #6 (Cavendish Rd.) and is almost 3.0 km from the ocean.
    For your first visit to the island enjoy Crowbush a top notch course which also plays along side the ocean and has spectacular views of the beach and dunes.
    If you have time for more than one round then play Eagles Glenn & Glasgow Hills.

As for prime time prices: Crowbush is $90.00 plus cart
    http://www.golfpei.ca/course_descrip..._crowbush.html

Eagles Glenn is $75.00 plus cart
    http://www.eaglesglenn.com/content_n...ervations.html

Do not know where John got the figure that Eagles Glenn is 1/2 the price of Crowbush........?

Quote Originally Posted by hhk View Post
    If you play Crowbush I have one piece of advice - bring bug spray. Not the wussy biodegradable crap. Bring full strength DEET and reapply frequently. The mosquitos there are ravenous.
    Lefty2 mentioned he is there in July. I played the 3rd week of July last year and did not see any mosquitos or bugs for that matter........
    The starter had bug spray for us but explained that most of the saltwater mosquitos are gone by June. My playing partner was at Crowbush the previous year in May and mentioned that they were almost "eaten alive" by the saltwater mosquitos.
    I would not be concerned if you are there in July............

Man PEI Golfing you truly have strong opinions about courses that you seem to really really like and i can appreciate that. I never mentioned the ocean in my post only the fact that i think that Eagle's Glenn is a superior golf course and i'm sorry if my figure is a bit off price wise i just remembered Crowbush being more expensive and a whooooole lot less fun.

Crowbush is an overrated course because it runs along the ocean period. Sure the views are nice but it's got two of the dumbest golf holes i've ever played in my life and truthfully the greens at Eagle's Glenn were the best i've ever played on. It all comes down to opinions but every islander i played with on my last holiday said that Eagle's Glenn is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Man PEI Golfing you truly have strong opinions about courses that you seem to really really like and i can appreciate that. I never mentioned the ocean in my post only the fact that i think that Eagle's Glenn is a superior golf course and i'm sorry if my figure is a bit off price wise i just remembered Crowbush being more expensive and a whooooole lot less fun.

Crowbush is an overrated course because it runs along the ocean period. Sure the views are nice but it's got two of the dumbest golf holes i've ever played in my life and truthfully the greens at Eagle's Glenn were the best i've ever played on. It all comes down to opinions but every islander i played with on my last holiday said that Eagle's Glenn is the way to go.
    Perhaps running along the ocean is a huge part of the appeal and thats why Golf Course architects around the world are hunting down potential ocean side properties.............
    I am not downplaying the top notch condition of the Eagles's Glenn course. My point is a "big part" of being a "first time" visitor on the Island is the Ocean and Dunes which is why Crowbush will always be a "must play" for a first time visit.
    The reason every islander you played with prefer to play the other courses is that they are "Islanders"............If I lived on the island the scenic Ocean and Dunes would be no more exciting than "us" looking at the Ottawa River, Rideau Canal or Marshes #2 everyday.............
    And as a native Islander would you also not want to go to a course which is conditioned as well or better, avoid a busy course with "tourist golfers", and at a slightly cheaper price.............
    I agree the short #17 100 yd. to small elevated green Par 3 is not well liked mainly due to the fact it comes at you near the end of the round and requires a significant amount of precision (especially if the winds are howling off the ocean). Can see this "short" hole ruining many a round........... I guess people will call it "gimicky" as Tiger Woods described the #17 "Island Green" at Sawgrass.
    Oh yeah, many people also call The Marshes #2 gimicky.............These are the same "I am a 8 handicap" golfers who shoot a snowman or worse...............
    Curious what other hole you do not like.........?

"Real" Islanders, of which I am one, don't often point out the true golf gem of the Island which is Mill River IMO

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    If I lived on the island the scenic Ocean and Dunes would be no more exciting than "us" looking at the Ottawa River, Rideau Canal or Marshes #2 everyday.............
    Do you own shares in the Marshes???
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Do you own shares in the Marshes???
    Considering the amount of $$ I have spent on balls the "Marshes" water hazards now have I would have been able to buy the "darn" place..............

4 Iron snaphooker is on a distinguished road
    As someone who has played many rounds in PEI, I would agree that Crowbush is very overrated. It is very pretty, but the course itself is not one of the better layouts available. I would play many other courses on the Island before Crowbush. Worst bugs I have ever seen on a course and no matter what is said above 17 is one of the worst holes I have ever seen. Comparing it to 17 at the players is a big stretch. I think my favorite course would be Mill river, but there are so many great courses to choose from.

Gap Wedge lefty2 is on a distinguished road
    Hi All,

Wow thanks for the info. So many courses to choose from. I still need to check with my buddy to see if he really wants to play a round or not. Right now I'm leaning towards Crowbush, Eagles Glenn, Glasgow Hills or Andersons Creek. They all look amazing. I don't think I can go wrong here. I'd love to go to PEI just for golf it looks amazing, although a tad bit pricey!
    [FONT=Century Gothic]lefty2[/FONT]

Crowbush, Eagles Glenn, Glasgow Hills or Andersons Creek would be comparable to Eagle Creek and The Marshes and the like in this area. So they really aren't that expensive relatively speaking...........

Crowbush, Eagles Glenn, Glasgow Hills or Andersons Creek would be comparable to Eagle Creek and The Marshes and the like in this area. So they really aren't that expensive relatively speaking...........
    Much better "bang for your buck" in PEI than in Ontario & Quebec resort/vacation areas.
    Muskokas top courses "primetime" average in the $130-$200 a round range.
    Tremblant (Geant & Diable) "primetime" average $135-$169 a round.

PEI "Primetime" costs per round:
    Crowbush $90 plus cart.
    Eagles Glen $75 plus cart
    Glasgow Hills $75 plus cart
    Andersons Creek $75 plus cart
    Dundarave $80 plus cart

Quote Originally Posted by snaphooker View Post
    Worst bugs I have ever seen on a course .
    I keep hearing about the bugs. I guess we were extremely "lucky" when we played the 3rd week of July last year. I did NOT see a single bug !! There was a good breeze blowing from the inland towards the ocean,so that might have helped.......

Much better "bang for your buck" in PEI than in Ontario & Quebec resort/vacation areas.
    Muskokas top courses "primetime" average in the $130-$200 a round range.
    Tremblant (Geant & Diable) "primetime" average $135-$169 a round.

PEI "Primetime" costs per round:
    Crowbush $90 plus cart.
    Eagles Glen $75 plus cart
    Glasgow Hills $75 plus cart
    Andersons Creek $75 plus cart
    Dundarave $80 plus cart
    Those prices drop significantly after Labour Day and you're hard pressed to find many folks golfing in Sept - Oct.......BEST time to play golf on the Island if you can swing it........BTW, Islanders can get a "break" on the published prices as well

Here's a few shots of Glasgow Hills and Eagle's Glenn, two amazing courses on PEI. These four are from Glasgow. I'll post some Eagle's glenn as well.

Attachment 7941

Attachment 7942

Attachment 7943

Attachment 7944

Thread Information