CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar

Exclamation 'Stack and Tilt', Anyone try it?

Wondering if anyone has read or tried this technique of swing from Golft Digest.

http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...stacktilt.html

I've seen it being talked about quite a bit on some other forums, has anyone tried it or have any comments regarding it?

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I never tried it, but the concept seems to make sense. I just read the Golf Digest last night and had a look at their diagrams. As mentioned in the article, I'm sure many Tour players already do this to some extent. If my game ever went wonky, I'd think about trying it out.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Regardless of what swing method is used, what, IMO, are essential fundamentals, are:
    -inside club head path to the ball
    -hands ahead of the ball at impact
    -low point of the arc ahead of the ball
    All three are achieved with the S&T method, particularly the last where hitting DOWN on the ball will improve ball striking immediately getting rid of most fat or thin shots. This helps to maintain the flat lead wrist and a bent trail wrist through and past impact. I really like the idea of keeping the weight over the lead foot as it puts you into a "can't miss" position.

A weight shift is unnecessary anyway, as is a low and slow, extended, wide/large arced backswing, and this method does does not have these. The inside backswing with a tight right arm would help to prevent an OTT swing and the rebound or flyaway affect that an upright swing has.

It is a radical change from traditional teaching and that is wonderful because traditional teaching is why golfers aren't as good as they should be, IMO.

Pitching Wedge hoylake is on a distinguished road
    IMO the method is not unsound. Not entirely new either, two of the great iron players, Hogan and Olazabal, both hang left in their swings, so much weight stays left they edge on a reverse pivot. It does promote a downward strike and could be worth a look for those who hit their irons "clicky", not driving down and compressing the ball, not achieving a penetrating ball flight...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I've read about this on another site, but seeing how I took some lessons last year and am still reaping the rewards of the changes made, this is just too drastic for me to try. Although it did pique my interest when I first read it.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Last Summer my Golf Instructor had me doing something similiar to this swing.
    I was keeping my weight on the left side and hit noticebly more solid shots. Used this for my irons and hybrids fairway woods. After a couple of practice sessons, I tried it on the course and took 5-7 strokes off my average.
    I did try it with my driver, but it caused me to "pop" the ball straight up.
    So for driver I used the traditional swing.

BEWARE of injury..............With the constant weight on the left side I developed soreness in the left hip/upper thigh area which at times was not pleasant at all....... Took me two months after the season to finally get rid of soreness.
    So do not be suprised if this becomes a common injury as a result of this swing.

"So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Pitching Wedge hoylake is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Last Summer my Golf Instructor had me doing something similiar to this swing.
    I was keeping my weight on the left side and hit noticebly more solid shots. Used this for my irons and hybrids fairway woods. After a couple of practice sessons, I tried it on the course and took 5-7 strokes off my average.
    I did try it with my driver, but it caused me to "pop" the ball straight up.
    Yes, that's sort of the rub. Hanging left promotes the downward strike so effective with the irons but with a driver you want to catch it slightly on the upswing. Olazabal, as great an iron player as he is, has always struggled with the driver... as an aside, the Golf Digest article goes into considerable detail, diagrams and positions etc, but to to feel the effect of the S&T method, grab a sand wedge, play it back in the stance a bit, keep all the weight left -- on the backswing cock your wrists early, keep your weight left throughout the swing while hitting down on the back of the ball. It may feel odd but if you typically hit your irons scoopy and clicky, the flush/smack at impact could cause a light to go on.

Thread Information