CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road

Hitting the ball too high II

Just a follow up question for hitting the ball high with irons. I trend to hit my ball way high, no slices and dead center with average distance (9- 130, 7-150, 4-180, etc). Overall, I am quite happy…. Yet, on windy days I pay a penalty…

I am currently playing extra-stiff shafts which according to a pro, it helps me as I have a fast swing (informal session) He also mentioned that I hit the ball on the way up… (More that one has told me that)… I have tried to correct that which it’s proven difficult for me...

Now, my question:

Would it help by having less offset irons to keep lower trajectory? Sorry, if I am not making sense here but comments would be appreciated

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    what type of irons do you have? stiffness is not always the issue, these new 'low CG' type of clubs made now are made to launch ball in the air. I hit really high too, great on good conditions but in the wind, yikes...so basically, i just add 2 clubs and tone it done on the throttle, kinda grooving a knockdown shot. Alot of people would pay alot for high ball flight...we golfers are never happy! lol

oh, and im pretty sure that offset is more for curing an openface not really a trajectory.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I tried the RAC LTs and saw no real difference in ball flight so I would not rely on irons to change your flight too much. I was a very high ball hitter and my teacher changed my swing to hit on the way down and through and it has helped me tremendously. I never took a divot before and now it is not a beaver tail but there is some scraping after the ball. I also developed a punch shot for windy days, a couple of extra clubs, a much reduced lower backswing and it stays under the wind.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Offset gets the ball going a tad higher as the centre of gravity is pushed back. But like others said you will have to rely mostly on technique. Knockdowns,play the ball back in your stance etc and heck even close the clubface and aim accordingly.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Sounds like you might be overpofting the club at impact which would account for the height and distances you posted. I'm not saying you should play it any different, just that if you hit it solid it should go "x" yards, whatever that is for you. If it's high and seems short then it probably means you are adding some loft to the club compared to the norm.

Thread Information