100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: too wristy?

8 Iron lovethatping is on a distinguished road

too wristy?

to start with, i'm one of those lefties......

at the end of last season and beginning of this one (just last month), my iron play had never been better. i want to hit it there, i hit it there......from 3i to lob wedge. no problem.

things were going great but then i started topping the ball, now i've got this huge slice going. ball starts off on target and at the top of flight it fades left to varying degrees (depending on iron with the long irons being a huge unmanageble fade) OR i get a low worm burner that is doing the banana (right to left) and not going very far.

i can feel that at the top of my swing, something is going haywire and my wrists are rolling over as i come down. at impact my wrists have really rolled over with a very closed club face. yet somehow i'm getting a slice? when i look at my swing on a mat it def looks like out to in ("divot" is going left to right).

any tips or drills would be great! i had that "feel" for my swing but recently lost it. very frustrating.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I'm just throwing in here as a hacker, doesn't sound like a wristy problem to me. I think with me a lot of where I end up in the backswing and the plane etc...has to do with my initial setup and grip and how I picutre the swing plane given that setup.

7 Wood East Coast Golf is on a distinguished road
    sounds like you could be sliding forward as well as starting your downswing with your shoulders and hips out of sinc.

8 Iron lovethatping is on a distinguished road
    had a nice session at the range today. and WW and ECG, you were both right! I found my swing to be to upright forcing me to "cast" the club at the top. trying to flatten out my plane a bit, feels foreign but it feels right. also i was sliding forward a bit too early in the swing. working on trying to flatten out my swing and holding the hips steady through the swing has helped tremendously!

Thread Information