100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road

3 iron vs. 5 wood?

I would like to know when to would you play a 3 iron vs. 5 wood? I hit both fairly the same distance with my 5, I am more accurate. So my 3 always sits on the bench most of the time.

I hit the woods quite high so I would like to think that 3 iron would stay in a lower trajectory? Whats the norm or your experience?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    3 iron has lower trajectory and more roll. It is also a more difficult club to hit. Depending on the loft of your clubs though you might not be comparing apples with apples as most 5 woods have 18-19 degrees of loft while 3 irons have on average 21-22 loft. I would also tend to believe that a 5 wood has a higher MOI than an iron and is much easier to hit because of the tip section(.335 tip)
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I now use my 3 iron for whacking out dandelions in the back yard

Seriously though, if you hit your 3 iron and 5 wood the same distance, yet hit the 5 wood with more accuracy I think you have answered your own question. Why bother with the 3 iron if that 5 wood is golden?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thanks... so lower trajectory and more roll? anything else as to why one vs the other...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    generally, a 5 wood should travel further and be easier to hit, but not for everyone obviously. Consider taking out the 3 iron and adding a hybrid. What you should look to do is fill any yardage gaps. If you hit them both the same, take one out and maybe add a wedge. Or, depending on the course and conditions you may want to favour one over the other based on the ball flight.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Jeffc. I personally prefer a fairway wood over a hybrid. First off a wood shaft is softer in the tip section. Secondly the head has more volume than a hybrid and they don't sound as clunky. But that's just me.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Also worth mentioning is that that some hybrids take wood shafts.

Specifically, both of the Wishon hybrids (785 and 321) use wood shafts. I have the 785s and they get the ball up in the air very quickly.

6 Iron Rapture Man is on a distinguished road
    I switched my 3 iron (2nd generation PING - Karsten II) for a Callaway Steelhead Plus 7-wood almost 7 years ago and found my accuracy increased tremendously and so did my handicap. It is easier to glide a fairway wood in non perfect lies than a 3 iron. The iron is more subject to twist either closed or open depending on the lie.

I have now switched my 7-wood for a 21 deg. PING Rapture hybrid and I wonder why I did not switch earlier. As some of the pros state in ads for hybrids, this is almost like cheating. I just added last week a second PING Rapture hybrid (24 deg.)in my bag to replace my my 4 High Launch G2 iron. In my case the results speak for themselves. My handicap is already starting to get back to normal.

Also to note is that you can fit whatever shaft you desire in those clubs. I got a professional fitting session last fall and was recommended a particular type of shaft for my swing and adopted the same recommended make of shaft in my driver, 5-wood, and two hybrids.
    Keep it vertical!!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 314314 View Post
    Thanks... so lower trajectory and more roll? anything else as to why one vs the other...
    All that matters here is what the difference is for you. While the Chief is probably right, and the 3 iron should theoretically go lower with more roll, its not always the case. My 3 iron goes extremely high, with no roll, and my 5 wood goes lower, with more roll As Golfbum said, you have already answered your own question. You hit the 5 more accurately, and the same distance as the 3. You should be using the five. There is no point in having two clubs that go the same distance.

I started using a 2 iron last year, and was hitting it the same distance as my 5 wood, so I dropped the 5 and replaced it with a 4 wood (I don't carry a 3 wood), and that nicely fills the gap between the driver and the 2 iron. The bottom line is, it's all about finding the combo that works for you. Also, remember this. Though theoretical knowledge is great, I have learned on this forum that the theoretical really doesn't matter much of the time, because it often doesn't match the actual results. So, don't go by what people say your clubs "should" do....go by what they actually do.

Of course I am right Jonf all kidding aside one has to be careful when comparing clubs. Some 5 woods have 19 degree of loft while some others have 21-22. Some strong 3 irons have 19 degrees of loft while some others are off specs. A nice logical set up would be 15-18-21-24 in hybrids or fairway woods. 21 and 24 fw replace 3 and 4 iron. Jonf I sure would like to see your swing and measure the actual lofts on your clubs. Vancouver is a little far though
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Of course I am right Jonf all kidding aside one has to be careful when comparing clubs. Some 5 woods have 19 degree of loft while some others have 21-22. Some strong 3 irons have 19 degrees of loft while some others are off specs. A nice logical set up would be 15-18-21-24 in hybrids or fairway woods. 21 and 24 fw replace 3 and 4 iron. Jonf I sure would like to see your swing and measure the actual lofts on your clubs. Vancouver is a little far though
    What can I say...my golf swing is a freak of nature. It looks normal, but it hits a 2 iron higher than most people hit a pitching wedge. As for measuring my lofts....you should know the loft of the 2 iron you built me

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    What can I say...my golf swing is a freak of nature. It looks normal, but it hits a 2 iron higher than most people hit a pitching wedge.
    You're not the only freak out there. I know a guy who has the same ball flight.

Also worth mentioning is that that some hybrids take wood shafts.
    Apparently some folks have fallen back in love with their 3 and 4 iron using that technique.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I tried that experiment once but couldn't get a shaft that worked.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    I would think generally a 5w is considered less stable in the wind but a safer bet if you need the carry. Most (even pros) probably land it softer as well.

Thanks for the feedback.... I guess, my 3 lost the battle....I would never take out my 5w as it's the most reliable club in my bag.

As per being high, I hit all my irons, woods and driver 8.5 quite high and yes on windy days I take a hit.

I am quite happy with all my irons with the exception of the 3 which I was not sure what to do with it. Not reliable to me as something I was hitting good and some times bad, when it was good it was equal to my 5w so I guess it’ out.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I tried that experiment once but couldn't get a shaft that worked.

Did you try a hybrid shaft or a combination shaft or none of the above?
    Mahatma Gandhi

I'm pretty sure I tried it with a BiMatrx shaft. I can't remember what trim, if any I used.

I've got ProjectX wood shafts in my hybrids now and I quite like them so I'm guessing that the BiMatrx was too light.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Try a hybrid it could change your long game like it did mine. I'm with golfbum though if you hit a 5wood clean mos tof the time who cares about another club that distance. You already got your high % shot.

Hybrid harbacostal is on a distinguished road
    Retire the 3 iron...get another wedge...fill the yardage gaps...better short game...more one putts...score goes down...

Thread Information