CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    The bottom line on this issue is this. You list your item at the price you would like to sell it for. You just know people are going to offer less. Now the sad thing is this. If you list it for more than you want then no one bothers to contact you regarding the item. So you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

List it, price it accordingly. If someone makes a reasonable offer then sell it. If not try again in a week or so.

Hey I know a guy who was holding a yard sale. One of his co-workers stopped by. The seller had some paperbacks for 25 cents each. His co-worker offered him 10 cents each. Now that is LOWBALLING

I know one thing, if I had been in the market for one of those drivers you listed I would have been all over those like a mouse on a piece of cheese. Great prices IMO.

As for the Scotty, well if I buy it at the great price I can get it for I might just decide to put it in play. I am debating on buying it as a little "Retirement Gift" to myself
    But if I do not like it you will be first to know!
    Thanks Boss. Let me know. I'm not sure exactly what I'm in the market for really. I thought this Redwood Anser would be amazing by the looks of it. The biggest issue I have with it is lack of weight in the head. I'll probably try something out with some more weight and see how it goes.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I can't believe this thread got to 3 pages....

Figuring I'm one of the most prominent buyer and sellers in the classifieds I figure I'll offer my insights.

First off offers:

If someone lowballs me on a piece of equipment I just don't reply to them. Simple as that, they'll get the message.

And unfortunately, lowballing will always happens and there's nothing you can do about it. Like some said, people might be on a budget and they really want something. They see there has been no offers made in the thread and they think perhaps the person really wants to get rid of their item so they'll throw in a low bid hoping to get. Not because they are being rude, just because that's all they can afford.

Secondly, pricing:

I don't use ebay or the PGA value guide. Ebay is generally set up for people looking to make a quick buck and hope their auction will go way up in bidding. And unless its fairly new stuff the PGA value guide is on the low side. PGA value guide is set up for retailers that take clubs on trade in.

When I set my prices I will check all the sites I frequent and compare price to condition there and set my asking price accordingly. Simple as that. Check what the market going rate is, not what a place like ebay or PGA value guide says.

So if anyone was interested, that's how I work.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Geoff and that to me makes 100% scence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    Geoff and that to me makes 100% scence.
    But equipment making you a better golfer doesn't.

PGA value guide is set up for retailers that take clubs on trade in.
    No it's not Geoff. There's a specific 'Trade-In Value' and 'Resale Value' listed on that site. The trade in value is set up for retailers that are taking trades. Golf Town or Chuck Brown's even when it was open would probably give you around the price listed for trade-in, but not even close to the price listed for resale.

Here is the link for what Golf Town and almost if not all retailers use for accepting trades.

http://partner.globalgolf.com/PriceBook/default.aspx

Now compare that to the PGA Guide for the resale section and you'll notice quite a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    No it's not Geoff. There's a specific 'Trade-In Value' and 'Resale Value' listed on that site. The trade in value is set up for retailers that are taking trades. Golf Town or Chuck Brown's even when it was open would probably give you around the price listed for trade-in, but not even close to the price listed for resale.

Here is the link for what Golf Town and almost if not all retailers use for accepting trades.

http://partner.globalgolf.com/PriceBook/default.aspx

Now compare that to the PGA Guide for the resale section and you'll notice quite a big difference.

I still beg to differ. On the PGA Value Guide for resale they have my irons of choice (Bstone J33 Combos) for just over $300 US. I have yet to see them go for any lower than $350 USD on any site I've visited. And GT had a used set (but in like new shape) for $500. Now last time I checked, even with the exchange rate, $300 US doesn't translate into $500 CDN. Our resident former Saint just sold a set of J33 heads only for $380 (at least what his asking price was).

But you are comfortable using the Guide, I prefer to frequent other sites and base my price on what the going asking rate is. To each their own. There really is no right or wrong answer. Most people know what they paid for an item and have an idea of what they'd like to get back for it (if they can't get back what they originally paid for it).
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I still beg to differ. On the PGA Value Guide for resale they have my irons of choice (Bstone J33 Combos) for just over $300 US. I have yet to see them go for any lower than $350 USD on any site I've visited. And GT had a used set (but in like new shape) for $500. Now last time I checked, even with the exchange rate, $300 US doesn't translate into $500 CDN. Our resident former Saint just sold a set of J33 heads only for $380 (at least what his asking price was).

But you are comfortable using the Guide, I prefer to frequent other sites and base my price on what the going asking rate is. To each their own. There really is no right or wrong answer. Most people know what they paid for an item and have an idea of what they'd like to get back for it (if they can't get back what they originally paid for it).
    GT had a used set for $500 because they're in the business to make money. You'll always pay more at a retail store for used equipment over buying privately. Used cars are more expensive from a dealer because they want to make money, but you could probably find the same car for a better price from John Smith because he's not in the business to make a profit in most cases.

That link I provided you is the exact price guide GT uses for their trade-ins. That PGA site is set up to establish some sort of benchmark on what the value of clubs are based on, as dleber noted, the average going rate through eBay. We've also established you can pay more, or pay a lot less then what a club is worth on eBay, so if you average that out, you're probably going to get a pretty fair asking price.

I don't think I ever said use the PGA Guide as a price set in stone or to abide by it as law. What I said was it's a great tool to use as a benchmark for people selling/buying. Dan and yourself have both said you feel the prices are low. If that's your opinion, then you know if someone offers you well below what is listed on that site, you're getting a lowball offer.

To tell you the truth, I'm pretty sure we had a discussion about that PGA site some time ago on here. I believe that's where I first heard of it. A few of the members on here stated that's what they use when they are trying to set a price for something used. I'm sure I'm not the only one using it.

No doubt, you're probably not. And I agree with you, its a benchmark, but its based on Ebay which I find is even a lower priced starting point in general. I believe ebay is where you go to find good deals, and I've seen lots on there.

But the topic was actually about low balling, and if anyone looks at the value guide or ebay, that is where they might get their low ball offer ideas from....

Just a thought.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I'd be willing to put my $0.02 in here for the low low asking price of $4.00 (or best reasonable offer!)

No Trades Please.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    But equipment making you a better golfer doesn't.
    Now now maybe you should go back and read my post cause I did say very clearly that lessons would help my game more then equipment, but equipment does help aswell. My schedule just is to difficult to plan far enough ahead to book lessons. Maybe during my winter vacantion, I will get some lessons.

I pay for missed doctors appointments more often then I get to see him!

And yes euqipment has improved my score, not my swing but my score and I prefer to aim for as low a score as possible. As you have hit a 69 today and mention the distance your getting from your cobra!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    I'd be willing to put my $0.02 in here for the low low asking price of $4.00 (or best reasonable offer!)

No Trades Please.
    There is a comedian born everyday

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Now now maybe you should go back and read my post cause I did say very clearly that lessons would help my game more then equipment, but equipment does help aswell. My schedule just is to difficult to plan far enough ahead to book lessons. Maybe during my winter vacantion, I will get some lessons.

I pay for missed doctors appointments more often then I get to see him!

And yes euqipment has improved my score, not my swing but my score and I prefer to aim for as low a score as possible. As you have hit a 69 today and mention the distance your getting from your cobra!
    I'm at a level that it if I change my driver, I can notice subtle things. The Cobra did not make me a better golfer yesterday. I was hitting them down the pipe with my SuperQuad too, I was just reviewing the club. What made me better is working with the CPGA guy I see. My driving is on this year.

I aggree 100% that your lessons have made the biggest diffrence. Probably 90% of the diffrence in your game. But as a true example, when I purchased my SZ-440 I gained 30 yards from my clone driver. Made me more confident and my score went from 120's to 100's just cause I felt confident. This year with my MX-17's and v-steels I'm on the green in regulation more often. Last round I hit GIR on 8 holes. A first for me. I also had 6 pars that is also a first for me. Yet I did play some absolutely terrible holes. No consistancy and that is cause of my swing for sure. Yes it was very windy so that had a little factor and my putter was out to lunch which has been the strongest part of my game since I started playing. My putter is a 30$ clone I must add LOL.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    A reasonable offer is subjective.
    I don't think anyone on this site is trying to screw anyone on a sale or purchase.

I didn't know there are resources for determining an approximate value. Will I use it now?? Absolutely not...I can't be bothered...

My offers are based on my own reasons and I consider them reasonable. If someone doesn't like it, then they refuse my offer and life goes on. I'm not offended.

Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    I don't think anyone on this site is trying to screw anyone on a sale or purchase.

I didn't know there are resources for determining an approximate value. Will I use it now?? Absolutely not...I can't be bothered...

My offers are based on my own reasons and I consider them reasonable. If someone doesn't like it, then they refuse my offer and life goes on. I'm not offended.

That's exactly it em.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post

I'm with you on this one em69.... If I see a club 4sale on the forum, I am sure as hell not going to go to PGA and other sites to figure out if I am getting a good deal or not.... I'm not a fanatic.... you can pretty much tell the going price for clubs just by looking in the threads in the ad section here! I have had a few clubs and odds and ends posted with what I was asking, got low ball offers but didn't bother me, I just said nope, or if I really wanted to turf the stuff, I accepted the offers.

I don't think the low ball offers were trying to screw me, they were just trying to get a deal and I don,t have a problem with them trying.... to each his/her own
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

I aggree 100% that your lessons have made the biggest diffrence. Probably 90% of the diffrence in your game. But as a true example, when I purchased my SZ-440 I gained 30 yards from my clone driver. Made me more confident and my score went from 120's to 100's just cause I felt confident. This year with my MX-17's and v-steels I'm on the green in regulation more often. Last round I hit GIR on 8 holes. A first for me. I also had 6 pars that is also a first for me. Yet I did play some absolutely terrible holes. No consistancy and that is cause of my swing for sure. Yes it was very windy so that had a little factor and my putter was out to lunch which has been the strongest part of my game since I started playing. My putter is a 30$ clone I must add LOL.
    We'll set up a game next time I'm in town.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I view a low-ball offer as a way to start a negotiation - and a smart way as long as it isn't so low as to be insulting. As a buyer I don't want to show all my cards at the beginning of any potential deal.

For example, let's say the Geoff has club for sale for $100 I'm willing to pay $90 or $95 for it, so I might open with an offer of $80 or $85 hoping that he will come back at a number closer to what I'm willing to pay. If he doesn't and he is firm in his original asking price than at least I know that he is firm. No harm no foul.

I try not to offer stupid crazy lowball offers but I'll definitively take 10-15% off of an asking price - unless of course it is stated that the price isn't negotiable.

My 2 cents which has a Buy It Now Price of $0.02 plus 19.99 USD for shipping

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    My 2 cents which has a Buy It Now Price of $0.02 plus 19.99 USD for shipping
    USD. Nice touch.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    USD. Nice touch.
    I originally had shipping set at £19 but I thought that a bit excessive

Edmonton I would love to play a round with you. Also hope you would give me some pointers. To conclude on this issue, I feel that it takes all sorts to make a world. We live in a modern world were it's no longer the strongest that survive but more often the wisest! God gave me the talents to be one hell of a fighter, yet if I was really wise would I bee working 70 hours a week in a bar???? LOL

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    God gave me the talents to be one hell of a fighter, yet if I was really wise would I bee working 70 hours a week in a bar???? LOL
    You would probably still be in a bar for 70 hours a week, but not working
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    You would probably still be in a bar for 70 hours a week, but not working
    Now that wouldm be much less stressfull, actually I could probably make as much $$$ on the pool table as I do as a manager LOL
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Now that wouldm be much less stressfull, actually I could probably make as much $$$ on the pool table as I do as a manager LOL
    You're a manager where?

Back on topic please.

Back on topic please.
    It's my thread...I figured it was okay to ask an off topic question in it. I think you'd have a million threads if you had one for each question someone had.

Threads should stay on topic. There is no "ownership".

Threads should stay on topic. There is no "ownership".
    AYE AYE Captain!

Thanks.

Thread Information