100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar

Top Flite D2 Feel

So who other than me has tried a 15-pack of these?

I think they're freakin' outstanding! They have the feel of a premium ball, and check up quite well for a 2-piece. They'll never beat a urethane covered ball for spin, but when I can buy 45 balls for the price of 12... well...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Section TOne View Post
    So who other than me has tried a 15-pack of these?

I think they're freakin' outstanding! They have the feel of a premium ball, and check up quite well for a 2-piece. They'll never beat a urethane covered ball for spin, but when I can buy 45 balls for the price of 12... well...
    I've been waiting for an indepth review of these before I try them. Can you compare them to the E5 or NXT Tour?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    I've been waiting for an indepth review of these before I try them. Can you compare them to the E5 or NXT Tour?
    To be honest Geoff, I have hit neither the E5 nor the NXT Tour. However, my usual ball is the Srixon AD333 (which has received rave reviews), and I can honestly say that these Top Flites are superior. For 20 bucks, can you go wrong in trying a 15-pack?

Callaway really wants Top Flite to dominate the value ball market, and I think they have hit a home run with these things. They are long, soft and spin pretty well. The greens at Hautes Plaines today were pretty soft, but I had no problem throwing darts with these balls. (when my swing would allow )

Is there anything in particular you wanted to know?

To be honest Geoff, I have hit neither the E5 nor the NXT Tour. However, my usual ball is the Srixon AD333 (which has received rave reviews), and I can honestly say that these Top Flites are superior. For 20 bucks, can you go wrong in trying a 15-pack?

Callaway really wants Top Flite to dominate the value ball market, and I think they have hit a home run with these things. They are long, soft and spin pretty well. The greens at Hautes Plaines today were pretty soft, but I had no problem throwing darts with these balls. (when my swing would allow )

Is there anything in particular you wanted to know?
    Basically distance and spin. I can get the NXT Tour and E5 to pretty much hop and stop (and have the odd one back up when I really strike it well). Spin off the driver and in flight stability is key to me as well.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Basically distance and spin. I can get the NXT Tour and E5 to pretty much hop and stop (and have the odd one back up when I really strike it well). Spin off the driver and in flight stability is key to me as well.
    I found these balls to be as long as any other that i've hit, and I was able to hop and stop them when I was hitting short irons into greens.

I'd give them a go if I was you. You can always relegate them to the shag bag if necessary. I'll also add that they were VERY nice off the putter.

I found these balls to be as long as any other that i've hit, and I was able to hop and stop them when I was hitting short irons into greens.

I'd give them a go if I was you. You can always relegate them to the shag bag if necessary. I'll also add that they were VERY nice off the putter.

Great, thanks. I've seen some reviews on other sites, but nothing really more indepth than "They're really soft feeling". Nice review hunh???? But I've seen them at GT for $19.99 and have been tempted. Might just have to now, after I go through my stash of Bridgestone balls....

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Hey Geoff, like the commercials say "C'mon Ladybug, MAN UP" I am glad someone has tried these balls. I had a sleeve of them in my hand last night, now I will buy some and try them.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    gotta say that i love this ball. I played the Nike One Platinum/ProV1's last year and have completely switched to this ball for the year. Along with the crazy cheap price of them, they go every bit as long off the driver, seem to hold their line really well and have good enough spin for me. My irons hit and stop within 2 yards which is more than enough for me, i am not a high spinning player. Love the ball and can you argue about 15 balls for $23 after tax?

5 Wood AndrewMGA is on a distinguished road AndrewMGA's Avatar
    I picked up a box while I was at Golf Town last month, and I like them better than the Callaway HX Hot and Noodles that I have been using....definatly picking up a few more of these.

I tried the Feel's today. I was playing alone so I got a chance to hit a couple of balls off some tees and into greens.
    I was using NXT Tour's and the D2 Feel. Both were equal off the tee with the driver. Both seemed to be equal into the greens. The FEEL putts well.

For $20/15 balls how can you go wrong?
    Afterall these balls are Callaway products. Callaway some how has to get people to realize these are not the old rock hard Top Rocks from years ago.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    now with a little more extensive testing, i have to say that i love the Feel on softer to normal greens. However, my course has harder greens and these balls aren't giving me the spin i was hoping for (i am a relatively low spinner). So although i will likely keep playing them, i think i will resort back to the ProV1X when i play other courses where you really need the spin.

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    are the other D2's as good?

Albatross bobjones59 is on a distinguished road bobjones59's Avatar

D2 Soft

Was at GT last weekend and on of the managers told me that the D2 Soft is unbelievable. He says he's having trouble keeping the SOFT model in stock, everybody wants em. Price was $19.99 + tax for 15 balls. I didn't buy any but I'm definitely gonna give em' a try. The guy at GT swears they're very close to ProV1's so what do we have to lose?

15 D2 Soft's are sitting beside my bag in the trunk as of yesterday. The way I am hacking it around right now it will not make any difference what ball I am hitting

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    After reading this post and needing a new box of balls, I bought one today and must say I am very happy with the result. I did loose a little yardage compared to some 6$ balls but value for money, right now they are my #1 choice.
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Gap Wedge Dohboy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjones59 View Post
    Was at GT last weekend and on of the managers told me that the D2 Soft is unbelievable. He says he's having trouble keeping the SOFT model in stock, everybody wants em. Price was $19.99 + tax for 15 balls. I didn't buy any but I'm definitely gonna give em' a try. The guy at GT swears they're very close to ProV1's so what do we have to lose?
    Do you mean the D2 Feel? Thinking of picking up a box just because everyone is raving about them.

Albatross bobjones59 is on a distinguished road bobjones59's Avatar

D2 Feel

Tried one on the weekend and was really impressed! Feel is VERY close to that of a tour ball and distance was as long. The ball doesn't quite spin like a tour ball around the greens though. Felt REALLY good on chips and pitches but just didn't quite check up as well as a ProV or TP Red but for the money, they're definitely worth using if conditions are soft or wet. I also tried a Callaway HX Hot on Monday and was impressed with it too. A little more expensive ($29.99 for 12) and the feel was as good as the D2 Soft but I liked the mid ballflight of the HX Hot a little better than that of the D2. Overall, both very solid balls if you're not willing to dish out $50/dozen for the tour balls.
    Jeff

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Tried out the D2 feel....I have once again proven that it does not matter what kind of ball I play LOL. Seriously though I spent some time around the practice green with the D2 feel and a Titleist dt solo and saw NO difference between the 2 balls from 30 yards in pitching from the fairway and rough. I didn't notice a difference in my weak play the round I used the D2 feel either. I do like the alignment aid on the feel.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    I used the D2 feele for 2 rounds now and so far love this ball, my last round i was able to use one ball for all 18 holes and the ball still looks in great shape and can easly get another round or two out of that ball, very durable.

I liked the flight and feel of the ball and loved the use of the allignment aid on top, really helped me with my putting. As for the spin, sure it didn't check up great on pitch shots but i had several full swings that the ball landed and backed up, well thats what the pitch mark told me.

After using NXT's and and lot of diffrent Nike balls all last year, i have found the one i am using for the rest of this year, plus you just can't beat the price.

great ball great value...perfect!

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Yes I'm out of them at the moment and will buy another dozen next round. They are by far the best bang for the buck. I wonder how long before other brands adopt the allignment aid, cause it is helpfull.
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    I used them for the first time last week and was quite satisfied. They seemed to be about 5 yds shorter than the NXT Tour but at about half the price, I can live with the difference. I managed to use the same ball the whole round and it looks good to for another 18.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I'm so freaking easy.........despite have at least 12 dozen NXTs in the basement I bought a box of D2 Feels last night and I'll try em out tomorrow.......

OK, I just finished playing a round with this things and I'm totally sold. The feel of the ball off of my TeI3 is amazing. Every approach shot either hit and stuck or spun back a bit and for a 19 capper that is saying something.

Bottom line for me is that these balls are very, very good.........now what to do with all of the NXTs that I have

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    thanks for the tip, picked up a box and they seem pretty good. ONly played a few holes but the high irons might balloon a bit, which isn't neccessarilly a bad thing for a cheap ball. All I want out of a cheap ball is something that has some spin onto the green, this may be it, as an added bonus it seems pretty solid with the driver.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The Top Flite Strata TL Tour for $12.49/dzn at Sport Chek is a much better ball and deal the the D2. A nice 3 piece ball with a urethane cover that may not spin like a Pro V (though it might), but certainly has a ton more feel around the green than the D2.

I'm thinking that the Strata line has been discontinued........nothing at all about them on the Top Flite website - the are flaunting the D2 series as their latest and greatest

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Scott, I love NXT's but they are too expensive to hit with my 64* that chews up balls. Make me an offer I can't resist.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Yup, definitely discontinued, that's why they're so cheap. I'm just saying if you're looking for a good deal on a ball that isn't a rock and is really nice around the green, you can't beat the TL Tour. They're still $30/dzn at GT, or at least they were yesterday.

Hybrid Drive4show is on a distinguished road Drive4show's Avatar
    I find the D2 to be a little shorter than the Precept Laddie (which I love to play). They seem to spin (on a scale of 1-10 *10 being best* about a 6.5-7 for me) but they do hold their line really well.
    May be less $$ up front, but well worth it.

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Well I played a hole round with this ball today. I'll be happy playing out the rest of the box for sure. I've been playing shag balls for a couple weeks so I'm happy I stumbled across this thread.

I'm a bit of a ball snob, but only because 90% of the cheap balls are designed to not spin, and the only thing I care about is a ball having at least some spin. Second on the list is compression feel, just for the fun of it if nothing else.

I think it's more trajectory than spin but the ball seems to hold the green pretty good.

Neat ball, I find it has really distinct characteristics for a cheap ball, like it's more than soft and doesn't spin, or hard and doesn't spin. Lite off the club, long off the driver, high and soft with the irons. It may have diminishing returns distance wise as the SS dials up.

tf z-balatas for 12 bucks or so a dozen is still my favourite deal, but this one's longer off the tee and softer off the club.

Thread Information