CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

"The Impact Zone" Very disappointing book

Being a "The Golfing Machine" fan and also a fan of the work of both Mark Evershed and Mac O'Grady, who teach similar principles, I looked forward to reading "The Impact Zone," by Bobby Clampett, a student of TGM's Ben Doyle.

The principles of any good golf swing, a. hitting down on the ball taking a divot after impact, b. inside club head path to the ball, c. flat left wrist, bent right wrist and mentioned in the book, however, very little is done to "teach" us how to achieve these ideal positions. The other element that Clampett wants us to achieve is the creation of LAG at the start of the downswing, that characteristic where the angle between the lead arm and the shaft decreases at the transition. What Clampett fails to understand is that the flattening of the downswing changes the perspective of this angle and makes it appear to become smaller(better) but does not. Nor does he again teach us HOW to create the LAG, that is very important. There are too many anecdotes about Clampett's so called accomplishments on Tour and the good golfers that he met. Who cares? There are several pictures of Tour professionals, supposedly illustrating points that Clampett is trying to make. However, they are so small and grey that a magnifying glass is necessary to see them more clearly.

On one point I fully agree and that is the sequence of how one should learn to keep the back of the left hand flat at impact. Putting first, then chipping, then pitching, then the full swing.

If one has the flexibility to create some lag in the downswing, the best source is still "Golf Swing Construction 101 - The Bertholy Method," as the entire book is devoted to the exercises necessary to make us stronger and more flexible where it counts. To gain the knowledge of what principles are truly important, Mark Evershed's "Knowledge Video," IMO, is the best.

While his principles are correct, a golfer keen on improving will be left frustrated. I wasted my $$$$$ on Clampett's book.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Interesting review. Thanks for posting it. I"ve been following the flat left, bent right wrist and focusing on very little else with great results. Actually I always try to ensure I finish my swing if I don't fully follow through it will go right. I might look into the 101 book you mentioned.

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    personnaly BC, i found clampetts book pretty solid, although, i agree that the pics in the book should and must be reviewed. kinda like a thankyou note to CBS swingvision but not at all the BEST OF... i found the dynamics in the book to be right on, but must agree it was a little too much on the 'i met this guy that guy on tour' kinda read.

all be it, i'd recommend it anyhoot...just stirrin the pot bro. lol!

seriously, there are nuggets in this book imo.

remember, i am a Homer fan as well, and its a start in the right direction even without EVERY lingo in TGM. we need to get together dude...fast...now...soon...a must share practice session and chin wag!

im in quebec city, if you ever come over to the north pole quebec that it is, let me know!

JJ

Putter Redbeard is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Being a "The Golfing Machine" fan and also a fan of the work of both Mark Evershed and Mac O'Grady, who teach similar principles, I looked forward to reading "The Impact Zone," by Bobby Clampett, a student of TGM's Ben Doyle.

The principles of any good golf swing, a. hitting down on the ball taking a divot after impact, b. inside club head path to the ball, c. flat left wrist, bent right wrist and mentioned in the book, however, very little is done to "teach" us how to achieve these ideal positions. The other element that Clampett wants us to achieve is the creation of LAG at the start of the downswing, that characteristic where the angle between the lead arm and the shaft decreases at the transition. What Clampett fails to understand is that the flattening of the downswing changes the perspective of this angle and makes it appear to become smaller(better) but does not. Nor does he again teach us HOW to create the LAG, that is very important. There are too many anecdotes about Clampett's so called accomplishments on Tour and the good golfers that he met. Who cares? There are several pictures of Tour professionals, supposedly illustrating points that Clampett is trying to make. However, they are so small and grey that a magnifying glass is necessary to see them more clearly.

On one point I fully agree and that is the sequence of how one should learn to keep the back of the left hand flat at impact. Putting first, then chipping, then pitching, then the full swing.

If one has the flexibility to create some lag in the downswing, the best source is still "Golf Swing Construction 101 - The Bertholy Method," as the entire book is devoted to the exercises necessary to make us stronger and more flexible where it counts. To gain the knowledge of what principles are truly important, Mark Evershed's "Knowledge Video," IMO, is the best.

While his principles are correct, a golfer keen on improving will be left frustrated. I wasted my $$$$$ on Clampett's book.
    Is there a place I can purchase Ferreri's book "Golf Swing Construction"? I can't seem to find it. Well, I did find an original Bertholy book on Amazon for $177.00

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Is there a place I can purchase Ferreri's book "Golf Swing Construction"? I can't seem to find it. Well, I did find an original Bertholy book on Amazon for $177.00

I got mine directly from his website. Do a google search for Paul Bertholy. I sent Doug an e-mail and a check in the post and the book came about 2 weeks later.

Bertholy Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    I got mine directly from his website. Do a google search for Paul Bertholy. I sent Doug an e-mail and a check in the post and the book came about 2 weeks later.
    Hank: Thanks for getting back with me. Unfortunately, the Bertholy web site is no longer available.

Hank: Thanks for getting back with me. Unfortunately, the Bertholy web site is no longer available.
    So I see. I'll see if I can get my hands on Doug's e-mail address so you can get in touch with him to see how you can order it.

I know mberube and BCMIST have dealt with Doug/Paul in the past so they may have more information than I.

So I see. I'll see if I can get my hands on Doug's e-mail address so you can get in touch with him to see how you can order it.

I know mberube and BCMIST have dealt with Doug/Paul in the past so they may have more information than I.
    Thanks! I appreciate your willingness to help me out.

Thanks! I appreciate your willingness to help me out.
    Damn, I don't seem to have Doug's e-mail anymore, but i'm sure that if you PM BC MIST or mberube they should be able to help you.

Damn, I don't seem to have Doug's e-mail anymore, but i'm sure that if you PM BC MIST or mberube they should be able to help you.
    Thanks! I will.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I emailed him twice a while ago, but never got an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    I emailed him twice a while ago, but never got an answer.
    I have used about every search engine available but to no avail in obtaining this popular book. However, I do have the chapter on Bertholy from The Secret of Golf book.
    Last edited by Redbeard; 08-10-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: misspelling

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I have used about every search engine available but to no avail in obtaining this popular book. However, I do have the chapter on Berholy from The Secret of Golf book.
    doug@paulbertholy.com is the one that was on the website.

I also have the secrets book.

Thread Information