100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sand/mud shot

Sand Wedge couch26 is on a distinguished road

Sand/mud shot

Since most of the sand shots that I have played recently have been from mud, I have been taking a clean swing at the ball without taking any sand behind the ball.

The results have been pretty good and I'm just wondering why I should not continue doing this once the mud turns back into sand.

I can understand the logic of taking some sand behind the ball when the ball is partially imbedded in the sand but most of the course I play don't have high quality sand. It's mostly fairly compact stuff.

Is there any reason why we should try to hit in the sand behind the ball if the ball has a nice lie right on top of the sand? How do you guys play this type of shot?

Thanks

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The sand splash is much easier than the "pick" in a greenside bunker. There is a much bigger margin for error.

In a Fairway bunker always pick, since it is a full (or near full swing) and getting sand will cause a short floppy shot (explosion shots are like that intentionally).

If the sand is mud, you have no choice but to pick it. You need this shot in your bag for wet days or bad bunkers. If there is no lip (and your name is Steve), use a putter.

If the sand is fluffy... smile, swing big, and take lots of sand. The ball will pop up, land soft, and roll up by the hole

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar

Lightbulb

Well personally I'm too embarassed to try it (because I "know" how to do it correctly) but my wife putts almost all the time.
    She has two had birdies & several other hole-outs. I've giggled at her putting up & over a lip. Of course, I then had to applaud as it ended up beside the hole. By the way, she struggles to break 100.

Sand Shots are a lot like putting (think bowling!!). There's many successful styles. Pick it OR blast it.
    Just get comfortable.........

The PGA guys used to gather around & watch SEVE with his magical 3-iron in the greenside practice bunkers. They couldn't do it any better!!

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Moe Norman told me that he made more money after the events than during the events.

Sunday nights after the tournament, he would bet with rich members at the host course that he could get any ball from a greenside bunker to within 6 feet of the hole.

Dropped, fried-egg, half-buried, stepped on, in a heel print, whatever. He would let the members themselves place the ball in the bunker.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Thumbs up Putting from bunkers

I have also successfully putted from a bunker when the sand is hard or wet AND there is no lip. IMHO, under these conditions it is more accurate and easier to execute than the "pick" or the "splash" sand shot. If the sand is hard or wet and there is a lip, I will try either the "pick" or the "splash" - usually with a lob wedge instead of a sand wedge.

The beauty of the short game is there are lots of different and creative ways to play the same shot.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Curious George
    I'm glad El Tigre brought that up. A lot of people I know are using 60 degrees instead of SW (which I think is closer to 68). And they do the "new school" swing, which is a takeaway that is aligned with their open stance, but their downswing is in line with their target line...

What do people out in this forum prefer?

3 Wood jimrobin is on a distinguished road
    You have to do what the situation/hole gives you. I have putted out of bunkers, I have done more of a chip & run (7 or 8 iron), I have blasted it out, I have even conceeded the hole and picked up (match play). You do what the situation calls for, to help you get it close to the hole, and if you're lucky it may even go in.

If you think people are laughing at you when take your putter into the bunker with you, if you stop the ball a foot from the hole, they'll stop laughing pretty quick.

BTW: Mostly all SW's are 56* give or take 1* or 2*.

Curious George
    Sorry, got the SW degrees mixed in my head there...

I meant for the blast shot, though, not alternatives. Are people having success using their lob wedges instead?

Thread Information