CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bunker playing

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Question Bunker playing

OK guys here is the question. If there is no sand in the bunker; or if it is packed like cement---what do you do? a) play as it lies?
    b) lift it out and play from opposite side away from the green?

The reason I am asking is because I have spent the better part of 7 monthes trying to get rid of '"golfers elbow". I know most of you here are fairly easy to get along with but it would not hurt for a sampling of opinions---Oh yeah--there is no money on the line!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    A. Play it like it lies.

It's the same as hitting it off of hard ground or a cart path. Just pick it clean and don't try and take a divot.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    playing off a cart path?.. fyi - free drop from a cart path

if bunkers are in bad shape i will usually lift my ball and play it from another side. I like to play to the rules as much as I can but if theres a chance i'll hurt myself or my equipement I'll move my ball..

today at manderley the bunkers were more like mud traps.. i didnt feel like getting my shoes and pants covered so I just pulled my ball out...afterall its just a game
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    True, but that doesn't always leave you with decent shot since your drop may be in deep rough or with an awkward stance. I probably play at least three or four shots a year off the path.

If you aren't going to get a guaranteed better lie and/or are not blocked out by anything by playing from the cart path, swing away. The sparks just make the shot that much more theatrical.

I'm not worried about scratching my clubs since they're going to get dinged eventually.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    fyi - not if they are declared an integral part of the course there isn't.

An “obstruction’’ is anything artificial, including the artificial surfaces and sides of roads and paths and manufactured
    ice, except:
    c. Any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    fyi - not if they are declared an integral part of the course there isn't.

An “obstruction’’ is anything artificial, including the artificial surfaces and sides of roads and paths and manufactured
    ice, except:
    c. Any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course.

Well said....Unless otherwise written somewhere within the local rules of the course, the cart path is not a free drop, it's actually in play.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Well said....Unless otherwise written somewhere within the local rules of the course, the cart path is not a free drop, it's actually in play.
    Just to be clear

An artificially surfaced path is, by definition, an immovable obstruction unless declared by LR to be an integral part of the course.
    Most cart paths are artificially surfaced.

If it is just a dirt path then it is automatically an integral part of the course.
    If the committee want to give relief from such a path, they could declare it GUR under 33-8. But they should be aware of Decision 33-8/19. Dirt paths are not abnormal on a golf course

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    As JVincent says A. Play it like it lies.It's the same as hitting it off of hard ground or a cart path. Just pick it clean and don't try and take a divot.

UHM, seems to me you have to play from the bunker and if you are not following the rules and playing more or less for fun then drop wherever you want. If you ignore one rule then ignore it to you liking. Personally, I would still play form the packed sand just for the challenge but my handicap may feel the brunt of such a decision.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    Just to be clear

An artificially surfaced path is, by definition, an immovable obstruction unless declared by LR to be an integral part of the course.
    Most cart paths are artificially surfaced.

If it is just a dirt path then it is automatically an integral part of the course.
    If the committee want to give relief from such a path, they could declare it GUR under 33-8. But they should be aware of Decision 33-8/19. Dirt paths are not abnormal on a golf course
    I remember seeing a few PGA players hitting off the path at Royal Montreal at the Canadian Open when I went, no free drop, so they must have declared it an integral part of the course on that one.

I was under the impression that unless the scorecard or local rules state that the cart path is not an integral part, we should assume it is. I've always played off it and so have most of the guys I play with. We just assume it's in play.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    I remember seeing a few PGA players hitting off the path at Royal Montreal at the Canadian Open when I went, no free drop, so they must have declared it an integral part of the course on that one.

I was under the impression that unless the scorecard or local rules state that the cart path is not an integral part, we should assume it is. I've always played off it and so have most of the guys I play with. We just assume it's in play.
    And I have always played the other way. Assume it is a free drop unless otherwise marked. Am I wrong then?
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

The explanation AAA gave pretty much sums it up.

1. If it's paved (concrete or asphalt) then it is an immovable obstruction and you usually get relief if you want.

2. If it's not paved then you usually don't get relief.

3. Local rules can modify both of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    The explanation AAA gave pretty much sums it up.

1. If it's paved (concrete or asphalt) then it is an immovable obstruction and you usually get relief if you want.

2. If it's not paved then you usually don't get relief.

3. Local rules can modify both of the above.
    Makes sense.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I play all paved or packed gravel cart paths as free drops for 1 reason and 1 reason only...

Re-sale value!!
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Fellas--I thank you all for your answers-----but it was not a "rules question". Dan moved the thread. I was more curious as to everyones feelings if playing with someone who is recuperating from this injury. Believe it or not I love the challenge of a good sand shot----but not to the point of causing more injury. It sems the only choice with a lot of replies is play it where it lies and put up with the consequences. I think "Golfer Gofer" was the only one that actually read the question.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

My original answer wasn't a rules based one.

If you drop in the heavy grass you are just as likely to re-injure your wrist (or even more so) hacking out of the grass than picking it cleanly off the dirt.

Thread Information