100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stiff OR Reg?

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar

Stiff OR Reg?

I was at GT the other day and tried the Burner driver. The sales associate said I needed a stiff flex shaft based on my swing speed avg around 100 -105. Today, I was at NB in Orleans and tried the R7 Draw. It had a regular shaft. The rep recommended not to go with a stiff based on watching how I drove the ball. Any thoughts?

Scott

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    There's no right answer based solely on swing speed. Your tempo also plays a big role in whether a shaft is right, or wrong, for you.

Just because one shaft says "S" and another says "R" doesn't necessarily mean one is actually stiffer than the other and there's also the stiffness profile to consider.

In other words, try them both and whichever one feels/performs better for you, grab it.

thanks! The Burner felt great until the rep told me to try the Draw based on my push slice. The Draw performed great and seemed to give me more confidence when driving the ball. I rarely push sliced. Just wanted to make sure when I go to buy it, I buy the proper one.

There's so much info on this site for a new golfer as myself that it's hard to take all in since I'm just starting to learn some of the mechanics of a golf swing and specs of clubs.

Scott

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    remember, each trademark has its own stiff and regular shaft, ones brand stiff might be anothers X-stiff or ultralight....there is no precise line drawn per brand, all depends on the builder. callaways X might be Titleists R....

they must have alot of fun trickin us regular crush orange soda folks...lol

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    There's no right answer based solely on swing speed. Your tempo also plays a big role in whether a shaft is right, or wrong, for you.

Just because one shaft says "S" and another says "R" doesn't necessarily mean one is actually stiffer than the other and there's also the stiffness profile to consider.

In other words, try them both and whichever one feels/performs better for you, grab it.
    I agree. The only thing I would add is that, when you find a shaft that you like, don't expect the shaft in the new club you order to be the same even if it says it is. I have seen so many clubs that say they are one thing and they aren't. I would try to check the frequency on the shaft you like (the demo) and see if the one they deliver is the same, or close to the same frequency. The quality control with these manufacturers seem to be really lacking.

Good luck. Don't listen to anyones recommendation for a shaft. Try it, before you buy it.

Oh ya, Go Sens!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphere Hunter View Post
    I agree. The only thing I would add is that, when you find a shaft that you like, don't expect the shaft in the new club you order to be the same even if it says it is. I have seen so many clubs that say they are one thing and they aren't. I would try to check the frequency on the shaft you like (the demo) and see if the one they deliver is the same, or close to the same frequency. The quality control with these manufacturers seem to be really lacking.

Good luck. Don't listen to anyones recommendation for a shaft. Try it, before you buy it.

Oh ya, Go Sens!

Especially over the internet from people that haven't even seen you swing.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    personnal experience...when i started this crazy game, and decided to buy a new driver, the pro at the range put down 2 drivers, one stiff, and one reg. and let me at it....

It is a pitty that back then, he let me see the stiffness of the club in my hand, as i, like many others, have taken the wrong macho route of 'i play a stiff' shaft.

Today, my swing has gotten alot better and faster, but decided to go back last year to a reg shaft, went great for awhile but had to try a few stiffs cause im hitting the ball too high. I went through 3 drivers to find my match to desired trajectory.

Look at the result of the ball info first.

once again thanks. Lots of info to consider. I think I will Demo a couple before deciding.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    I would try to check the frequency on the shaft you like (the demo) and see if the one they deliver is the same, or close to the same frequency. The quality control with these manufacturers seem to be really lacking.
    Even if you check the frequency, as you suggest, you are not necessarily going to get the information that you need.

Here are two shafts' butt AND tip frequencies:
    1. 165 / 697
    2. 165 / 878

If you like the feel of #1, IT'S AN "X," and want to try another brand's "X" of the same butt frequency, you can obviously see that with a tip frequency difference of 181 cpm's, that #2 will NOT play nor will it feel the same as #1.

The flex designations of "R," "S," and "X," we all should know by now, are meaningless in trying to match a shaft to the way we swing. The days of fitting a shaft to a golfer, based on swing speed alone, are OVER. And yet, how many places still do it? Most/Many?

If you are going to purchase from a retailer, get the trajectory you want and the feel that you like, by trying clubs, and then look at the loft on the head and the flex on the shaft.

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Even if you check the frequency, as you suggest, you are not necessarily going to get the information that you need.
    Of course, I knew this since you taught me BC!

I was trying to keep the message simple.

The point I was making was, you can find a great club at a demo day, but if you decide to order the club, don't expect the new club to perform the same way as the demo. Even if it has all the same markings and is supposed to be identical. This has happened to me many, many times.

The more stress you apply to the shaft, the more important finding the correct shaft becomes IMO. I'm not talking about raw club head speed. I'm talking about your swing type.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Of course, I knew this since you taught me BC!

I was trying to keep the message simple.

The point I was making was, you can find a great club at a demo day, but if you decide to order the club, don't expect the new club to perform the same way as the demo. Even if it has all the same markings and is supposed to be identical. This has happened to me many, many times.

The more stress you apply to the shaft, the more important finding the correct shaft becomes IMO. I'm not talking about raw club head speed. I'm talking about your swing type.
    The kind of swing you are referring to, Tom Wishon describes as a 3,3,3 because it has a fast transition, fast tempo and a hugely delayed release, like yours. Getting the right shaft for you is a real challenge because the bulk of shafts manufactured are more for the "average" golfer.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

An excellent clubfitter will have the shaft connector and will allow you to hit the same shaft with different butt frequencies and see the results on a launch monitor. He should have various shafts for that purpose. That being said if you do not want to go see a pro clubfitter buy the darn demo if you like it and insist on buying the demo and not the club they want to order in for you.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information