CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar

Question GPS...which one?

I have enjoyed playing with someone that recently got a Sky CaddieGPS unit and it is amazing! Wondering how many of you out there have tried a GPS and what your likes and dislikes were. I am going to be buying one for sure, just a matter of which one.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sky caddy is a stand alone. You pay for the courses you want, and if they don't have the course there is nothing you can do.

A GPS enabled Palm unit (a few hundred $) does a lot of stuff including North America road navigation and Intelligolf ($49 US) allows you to survey any course you play.

The cost of the systems are comparable. I went with the palm and Intelligolf and I love it.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I use intelligolf for my scoring and would get a GPS for it but if you only play a course once and it hasn't been uploaded with the GPS info these systems to me are next to useless. If playing the same course all the time they are great. I have a rangefinder and I can use it on any golf course I go to world wide. Mine is a few years old and played with someone with the Pinseeker and it works even better with being able to get a pin at about 400 yards.
    Just my $.05 on this one

But if you do play a course regularly you can do the survey yourself with intelligolf. That's a big difference when compared to sky caddy.

I also have a rangefinder for away games. Admitedly there are not a lot of local courses in the intelligolf database, but my survey of Manderley is there!

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Sky caddy is a stand alone. You pay for the courses you want, and if they don't have the course there is nothing you can do.

A GPS enabled Palm unit (a few hundred $) does a lot of stuff including North America road navigation and Intelligolf ($49 US) allows you to survey any course you play.

The cost of the systems are comparable. I went with the palm and Intelligolf and I love it.
    You can map your own course with Sky Caddy.. My buddy got one and mapped our course.. We used it today.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Wow. Cool.

What Palm do you use?

The one thing I liked with the sky caddie was how simple it was to add a course to it. Can do it while you play from what I hear didn't slow him up any.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post

PinShark

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Dan - what do you do for batteries? My palm dies on about the 15th hole just using Intelligolf for scoring and tracking purposes - I would imagine that the gps unit would really drain the battery

Putter azloto is on a distinguished road

Ique M3

I am using Garmin Ique M3 and the battery life is about 7-8 hour with GPS on. On Ebay at http://search.ebay.ca/_W0QQsassZradi..._canadaQQhtZ-1 you can find one for less than $250 canadian. You can use it in your car on your way to the golf course too.

I use a Garmin IQue 3600, discontinued but you can still get them. Battery is good for 9 holes, then I plug in an auxilliary battery I have for my RC stuff. I made a mount that holds the unit and batery and clips to either a push cart or a power cart scorecard clip.

The M3 is the new model and battery life is supposed to be much better "delivering 5-7 hours of continuous PDA/GPS use "

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I use Intelligolf as well with an older Palm m505. I added a Magellan gps companion that attaches to it. It was cheap and works great, battery lasts a long time and its a colour screen, good enough for me!

Highly recommend the Intelligolf!!

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    does anyone here have soesm refferals to a unit to use for GPS?

I woul dlike ot have one device that is both GPS and the display, and have battery enough to play 1-2 rounds? i like the idea of skycaddie, but not too much into the subscription fees, but maybe.

what is out there in this area. i see most here seem to use their palms with a separate gps unit. i wodl hten have to get a plam and gps, would likew to get jusyt one.

cna you uses something like the garmin NUVI for this?

thanks for the continued advice

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Thanks for the battery advice!

7 Wood Newbie is on a distinguished road
    Does anyone have Intelligolf GPS information for local courses? Not much uploaded to Intelligolf's sight for our courses. I plotted Hammond last weekend so that will be uploaded this am I hope.

Let us know when Hammond is posted to the site.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 04-26-2007 at 06:33 PM.

6 Iron Rapture Man is on a distinguished road
    I am also looking for a product that will combine multi function GPS, PDA and support Intelligolf. I am currently using a HP Ipaq with Intelligolf without GPS and feel that buying an add on GPS feature would make the unit to bulky, cumbersome and fragile to use on a golf course. I like to slide my Ipaq in my back pocket between shots.

I checked the Garmin website and both the iQue M3 and 3600 are discontinued and appear to have been replaced by the iQue 3000. Anyone out there that have used this new model combined with Intelligolf?

How clear is the Garmin iQue in the car when set up on the dashboard in full sunlight? Does it provide the full features of a full size unit?
    Keep it vertical!!

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking of more of an all in one unit now myself. I do a lot of driving around the city and a GPS unit would be great! Anyone have an "all in one" GPS? that they use for directions as well as golf?
    PinShark

The Garmin IQue units discussed above are all-in-one's. Vey nice units.

Lob Wedge v12 is on a distinguished road
    does anyone tried "Nova golf 2007"

Gap Wedge divotguy is on a distinguished road

Garmin M3

I use a Garmin M3 which I got new from e-Bay. Since it is discontinued, you can find good prices.

The MapQuest navigation works great. No trouble in the sun at all. Went to Florida with it and it was a joy to use.

I have no difficulty with battery life. It always lasted the whole round with battery to spare.

I surveyed Meadows N and S and have just posted them on the Intelligolf site. Hope others will post their surveyed courses also so we can share.

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    I noticed that the Sky Caddie is on sale this week at GT! $299

Then you have an annual fee of $29.95 - $59.95 depending on which package you take.

3 Iron langille5 is on a distinguished road
    I have a buddy that has a sky caddie and he really likes it. I have another friend that has a bushnell range finder and he really like it. I think it comes down to personal preference and cost.

So I think I have decided on a unit.......what about subscriptions to the service? The skycaddie is $30.00/year as shown on their wesite but I do not see any prices for this for any other units?
    PinShark

Intelligolf has no subsription fee. $59 US for the software.

http://www.intelligolf.com/ there is a list of certified handheld devices there.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am thinking of more of an all in one unit now myself. I do a lot of driving around the city and a GPS unit would be great! Anyone have an "all in one" GPS? that they use for directions as well as golf?

I use the MI0 Digiwalker 310 (gps & mp3). You can hack it and install win ce software. I have installed Intelligolf.

It is a good all around device and has good battery life.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    I have been thinking about GPS units for a while. Thanks to you guys and Intelligolf I can save a bundle an install it onto my Treo. Anybody have any courses mapped that I can steal?

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    you can get them for free from IG website There aren't that many but enough for you start having fun

Kanata Talon and Predator are there (no EC or HP last I looked) as well as Manderley's 3 nines (my contribution) and a couple of the nines at Meadows.

Shared courses must be uploaded to the IG site. You can't dl the file from someone who didn't post it there.

In the Zone psniddy is on a distinguished road
    Man I totaly stumbled onto this. I know alot of guys who carry PDAs who will love this. Too bad this information isn't advertised better.

Thread Information