CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar

Question Hitting off the toe...

I got my set or Taylormade RAC os2 irons over the winter and have been hitting them at the range recently. It looks like I'm hitting them on the toe quite a bit. Does this mean my irons need to be adjusted in lie? Or should I be moving a touch closer to the ball.
    Thanks!!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If the impact is consistently on the toe then you need to get closer.

If the lie were off the ball would be going consistently left/right on center hits.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    If the impact is consistently on the toe then you need to get closer.

If the lie were off the ball would be going consistently left/right on center hits.

Funny you say this. I was having the same problem the last to rounds with my short irons 7-PW. But once I moved a bit away from the ball, I started hitting more in the centre. Funny how golf works, you can always have two solutions to a problem I find. Sorry Smoothie, don't mean to confuse you, but just stating my results.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hey, remember me, I'm the guy who set's up 1" inside the ball for all my shots.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Can you explain inside the ball ?

Here's some ASCII art to explain. Any of the forum guys who've seen me set up can vouch for it's wackiness.

<------------------------------------ Direction ball with be travelling

0 Ball position

C Clubhead at setup

F F Feet.

Basically when I set up I ground the club one inch away from the ball, not directly behind it. Setting up this way I hit the ball dead center of the driver 95% of the time and my misses are what you'd expect for a 7 handicapper.

Why do I do this you ask? What I found after much range time was that when I set up behind the ball I start to think about getting back to impact position and end up steering the club.

When I set up inside the ball I just swing at the target and KNOW that my natural body motion will put the club right on the ball. Essentially I take my brain out of the equation. The key here is that I have to trust it. If I start thinking about it, it just doesn't work.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Here's some ASCII art to explain. Any of the forum guys who've seen me set up can vouch for it's wackiness.

<------------------------------------ Direction ball with be travelling

0 Ball position

C Clubhead at setup

F F Feet.

Basically when I set up I ground the club one inch away from the ball, not directly behind it. Setting up this way I hit the ball dead center of the driver 95% of the time and my misses are what you'd expect for a 7 handicapper.

Why do I do this you ask? What I found after much range time was that when I set up behind the ball I start to think about getting back to impact position and end up steering the club.

When I set up inside the ball I just swing at the target and KNOW that my natural body motion will put the club right on the ball. Essentially I take my brain out of the equation. The key here is that I have to trust it. If I start thinking about it, it just doesn't work.
    My question is - Is the ball where it would be if you addressed it normally or is the club where it would normally be and the ball is just outside of that?? - Am I making any sense here??

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    My question is - Is the ball where it would be if you addressed it normally or is the club where it would normally be and the ball is just outside of that?? - Am I making any sense here??
    Yep, I know what you mean.

It's hard to say one way or the other actually. From what other's have told me, the club is in what would be considered the "normal" position and the ball is outside that.

Yep, I know what you mean.

It's hard to say one way or the other actually. From what other's have told me, the club is in what would be considered the "normal" position and the ball is outside that.
    So you are reaching for it (for lack of a better term).........I guess that pretty much insures that you are approaching the ball from an inside path

I am definitely coming from the inside but there's no feeling of reaching at all, which is key.

Just set up and swing.

Very interesting approach......especially for guys with an outside path

Caddy KickerOfElves is on a distinguished road KickerOfElves's Avatar
    Heh, I was almost setting up like that early last year...otherwise I kept hitting it off the heel (once in a while the extreme heel!) Problem turned out I had too much weight on my toes and I was tipping forward.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Outside path

As a member of the 90% club, I will give this a try. Picked up a "Natural Golf" book at the library and they advocate getting a little further from the ball at address. Tried it at the range and you do it it straighter and miss tend to hook rather than slice.

Thread Information