CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar

The Marshes - 2007 Season

I decided to take Dan's advice and have started a new thread specifically on the Marshes and whats new for 2007.

As most of you are aware the Marshes Golf Club is in its second year of offering Memberships. This year they are offering both Platinum and Gold levels. With the Gold level selling out. http://www.brookstreethotel.com/golf/memberships.html

On April 7 The Marshes hosted a member meet & greet where we were treated to some terrific Ironstone Grill food & beverages, enjoyed watching the Masters on a new large screen and even chatted with Terry Matthews who dropped in to help welcome everyone. We certainly took the opportunity to ask Mr. Matthews about his "sister" resort The Celtic Manor and all the exciting changes that are taking place for the 2010 Ryder Cup. See link http://www.celtic-manor.com/The_Ryder_Cup_2010.aspx

The Marshes is also undergoing some renovations of its own. While very minor, the Bunker Lounge next to the ProShop is now being "opened up" so that it will be open more to the downstairs lobby and Proshop and bringing more light from the outside.
    They are making a great effort in creating more of a "players lounge".

This season the following are the Weekly Events:

Monday - Members Ladies on the Championship Course
    Public Women's League on Marshes and Marchwood (Par 3) course.

Tuesday - GAL Ladies League on Marchwood.

Wednesday - Public Men's League on Championship Course.

Thursday - Members Men's Night on Championship Course.

In addition there are QGA and OVGA "A" Class , and Public/corporate tournaments on most Saturdays throughout the season.

In addition, (as previously posted) the Marshes has an excellent selection of various tee-times at attractive rates.
    See link http://www.brookstreethotel.com/golf...ackages_e.html
    Hopefully, this has clarified any misinformation that some people may have about the tee-times and rates.

Understand the course has survived very well through the winter, and with some luck from Mother Nature hopefully we will all be golfing this weekend.

Look forward to a great season !!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    That's expensive for an annual membership in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Those that pre-payed prior to X-mas received 10% off the membership price plus a pair of 100 level Ottawa Sens vs Washington Capitals tickets ($200 value) back in January.
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Those that pre-payed prior to X-mas received 10% off the membership price plus a pair of 100 level Ottawa Sens vs Washington Capitals tickets ($200 value) back in January.
    Nice giveaway for sure, but those annual fees are on par with a private course.

Gap Wedge rowsie is on a distinguished road
    Hey werent you cuttign up The Marshes not to long ago ?... why are u even looking at this thread then knowing u dont liek the marshes and think eagle creek is better .... if u think its to pricy then dotn get a membership and stay at eagle creek lol....

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rowsie View Post
    Hey werent you cuttign up The Marshes not to long ago ?... why are u even looking at this thread then knowing u dont liek the marshes and think eagle creek is better .... if u think its to pricy then dotn get a membership and stay at eagle creek lol....
    I'm not sure if you are his buddy and just kidding with him, but he made a valid point. Not much point having a thread about a course if there can't be differing opinions. EG isn't saying that anyone who joins the Marshes is wasting their money, he's just commenting that for that amount you could almost join one of the nice private clubs and not have to deal with the green fee traffic.

That's what I took out of it anyway.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

3 Iron ktikat is on a distinguished road ktikat's Avatar
    Can you confirm that there is indeed a Marshes ladies league that can actually play on the championship course and not Marchwood? Two years ago the women got snubbed and weren't allowed on the real course
    The website is not very detailed. If so, can you post the cost?

Thanks

I decided to take Dan's advice and have started a new thread specifically on the Marshes and whats new for 2007.

As most of you are aware the Marshes Golf Club is in its second year of offering Memberships. This year they are offering both Platinum and Gold levels. With the Gold level selling out. http://www.brookstreethotel.com/golf/memberships.html

On April 7 The Marshes hosted a member meet & greet where we were treated to some terrific Ironstone Grill food & beverages, enjoyed watching the Masters on a new large screen and even chatted with Terry Matthews who dropped in to help welcome everyone. We certainly took the opportunity to ask Mr. Matthews about his "sister" resort The Celtic Manor and all the exciting changes that are taking place for the 2010 Ryder Cup. See link http://www.celtic-manor.com/The_Ryder_Cup_2010.aspx

The Marshes is also undergoing some renovations of its own. While very minor, the Bunker Lounge next to the ProShop is now being "opened up" so that it will be open more to the downstairs lobby and Proshop and bringing more light from the outside.
    They are making a great effort in creating more of a "players lounge".

This season the following are the Weekly Events:

Monday - Members Ladies on the Championship Course
    Public Women's League on Marshes and Marchwood (Par 3) course.

Tuesday - GAL Ladies League on Marchwood.

Wednesday - Public Men's League on Championship Course.

Thursday - Members Men's Night on Championship Course.

In addition there are QGA and OVGA "A" Class , and Public/corporate tournaments on most Saturdays throughout the season.

In addition, (as previously posted) the Marshes has an excellent selection of various tee-times at attractive rates.
    See link http://www.brookstreethotel.com/golf...ackages_e.html
    Hopefully, this has clarified any misinformation that some people may have about the tee-times and rates.

Understand the course has survived very well through the winter, and with some luck from Mother Nature hopefully we will all be golfing this weekend.

Look forward to a great season !!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I just want to know if they straightened out #2, shortened it a bit and did something about the standing water that always seem to run down the right hand side of the fairway.....

Seriously though, I'd like to hear more about the public men's night

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ktikat View Post
    Can you confirm that there is indeed a Marshes ladies league that can actually play on the championship course and not Marchwood? Two years ago the women got snubbed and weren't allowed on the real course

Thanks

Hi ktikat, you should ask this guy, he would know.

Dave Powell
    Associate Golf Professional
    Marshes Golf Club
    320 Terry Fox Drive
    Ottawa, Ont
    K2K 3L1
    613-271-3370 Ext 3130
    613-271-3371 Fax
    dave.powell@marshesgolfclub.com

3 Iron ktikat is on a distinguished road ktikat's Avatar
    Thanks...of course there's no answer...grr I hate voicemail

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    Hi ktikat, you should ask this guy, he would know.

Dave Powell
    Associate Golf Professional
    Marshes Golf Club
    320 Terry Fox Drive
    Ottawa, Ont
    K2K 3L1
    613-271-3370 Ext 3130
    613-271-3371 Fax
    dave.powell@marshesgolfclub.com

Range Membership at the Marshes

Yes, they do still exist.

The Golf Academy Practice Club fee for the 2007 season is $499.00 + $54.00 (GST). The hours of operation are from the time the Golf Shop opens (this time fluctuates over the season) until approximately 1 hour before sunset. The membership includes full use of the driving range (unlimited balls) practice putting green and short game area. The only time members are restricted are when a special event has been scheduled such as a tournament or golf clinic. These events do not occupy the entire day so there is usually ample time before and after to practice.
    The membership starts when we open the practice facility in the spring and closes in the fall. The golf course Superintendent determines when the grass tee will be open and closed. The area normally closes before the course in the fall due to maintenance needs. There are memberships currently available (as of Apr 18 this was true).

Quote Originally Posted by ktikat View Post

Thanks
    Yes, there is a Marshes ladies league on the championship course. They had a league on the championship course last year.

Click on the "Marshes Ladies League Registration" link and the
    adobe file has the registration forum with all the info.
    http://www.brookstreethotel.com/golf/index.htm

Monday Nights (May 7 - Sept.17); 5:30 pm tee-time
    Registration fee $899 +GST (50% due upon registration, balance due June 1)
    Cost includes closing banquet.

Yes try Dave Powell, or if you are out in Kanata drop by the Proshop and someone should be around to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    EG isn't saying that anyone who joins the Marshes is wasting their money, he's just commenting that for that amount you could almost join one of the nice private clubs and not have to deal with the green fee traffic.

That's what I took out of it anyway.
    I would have $16,500 - $30,000 dollars less (Initiation fees) in my pocket, but would have not have to deal with the green fee traffic........

No thanks, I think I will keep the $$$.........

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I just want to know if they straightened out #2, shortened it a bit and did something about the standing water that always seem to run down the right hand side of the fairway.....

Seriously though, I'd like to hear more about the public men's night
    #2 is still very long 581 yds (whites); 615 yds (Blues); 640 yds (Tips).
    Voted #3rd hardest hole in Canada by CTV Sportsnet
    http://www2.sportsnet.ca/golf_18holes.html

Didn't seem to be any standing water problem the last couple of years. The odd soft spots after a few days of rain but nothing that effected your shot.
    The geese "droppings" tend to be the biggest problem at times. They especially like to hangout around the fairway and green of #2.

The Public Mens League info is posted on the website, which you can download the registration forum http://www.brookstreethotel.com/golf/index.htm
    It is likely "sold out" as it is very popular. However, there may be some spots for a player to "spare" occasionally.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Don't touch the second hole. I love that hole even though it has occasionally gotten the better of me. There is no easy shot on that hole. If you want a chance to place your second shot in a favourable location, then you need to bust your drive, but the drive is, itself, unnerving. There's nothing better than having a bit of a knot in the pit of one's stomach when standing on the tee.

Hopefully, I'll get to play the Marshes at least a couple of times this summer. I've enjoyed every round that I've played there.

Didn't seem to be any standing water problem the last couple of years. The odd soft spots after a few days of rain but nothing that effected your shot.
    The geese "droppings" tend to be the biggest problem at times. They especially like to hangout around the fairway and green of #2.
    Sorry PEI by standing water I meant the LAKE - just my weird sense of humour

#2 at the Marshes is my favorite hole in the Region - followed by #18 at Eagle Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Sorry PEI by standing water I meant the LAKE - just my weird sense of humour

#2 at the Marshes is my favorite hole in the Region - followed by #18 at Eagle Creek
    I should have realized that. Funny now !!!
    Try playing it 70 times in one season........"favorite" is not the first word that comes to my mind......

Heard that one of those golf ball recovery companies pulled out over 10,000 balls from that lake a couple of seasons ago. Would not be suprised, as I would estimate on average a foursome would lose at least 6 balls on that hole.
    120 golfers per day X 1.5 balls X 7 days = 1,260 per week X 24 weeks = 30,240

Looks like they only got 1/3 of the balls that season.........

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    PEI - Is "The Bunker" open right now or still being renovated? I want to treat the guys at the office to a relaxed afternoon after a few weeks/month of overtime...

Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter View Post
    PEI - Is "The Bunker" open right now or still being renovated? I want to treat the guys at the office to a relaxed afternoon after a few weeks/month of overtime...
    Was there on April 7 and looked like they still had bit of work to do, but nothing that appeared more than a weeks worth. They will also likely not open "The Bunker" until the course opens. Best to check with the Marshes first.

The Ironstone Grill & Bar upstairs has been opened again since April 1.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Alright - thanks

Caddy Thunder is on a distinguished road
    It's official!! It opens this Saturday. YEAH
    THUNDER

They were mowing the greens this morning.

Sweet!

Caddy Thunder is on a distinguished road
    Played it Sat. Very impressed with the condition. Fairways, rough, greens and tees...bone dry. Although the greens are punched still, all in all not too bad. A little bumpy but not bad. Everything has been cut so very very playable. Look forward to playing tomorrow too!!!!!
    THUNDER

Yes, the course is in great condition. Greens look like they survived very well over the winter, with no dead spots.
    As Thunder said everything is "bone dry"!! They had carts at 90 degree rule today, which is an indication of how dry things are. Usually this early its always cart path only. The rain late tomorrow should help green everything up.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    #2 is still very long 581 yds (whites); 615 yds (Blues); 640 yds (Tips).
    Voted #3rd hardest hole in Canada by CTV Sportsnet
    I've never been to the Marshes, therefore I have never seen this hole, but that to me screams Mickey Mouse on a course design prospective. I'm all for using as much of the real estate as what's laid out infront of you, but that is ridiculous.

Also, on a pace of play scale I would think that would be a phenomenal hinderance. "Most" golfers aren't going to be able to get to the 100yrd marker in 2 shots and I'm sure depending on corporate outings, most aren't getting there in 3! lol.

I just don't understand how that can be a bragging point when it's actually difficult to justify it's very existence. Obviously I know there has to be a 2nd hole on any course, but the land could have probably been used more logically elsewhere. Like golf courses that have all of their distance in par 3s and par5s, but the 4 pars are max 420 (most being 360-380).

I need balance!

Fally
    aka Scott

Big Duffer
    I birdied it the first and only time I played there.. and I was in the wrong fairway off the tee.. its not that hard.. just likely to take you three shots to get there.. haven't played it enough to know if you coud go over the water on your second shot and hit the green. I was too far left that I didn't have to think about that..

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Duffer View Post
    I birdied it the first and only time I played there.. and I was in the wrong fairway off the tee.. its not that hard.. just likely to take you three shots to get there.. haven't played it enough to know if you coud go over the water on your second shot and hit the green. I was too far left that I didn't have to think about that..
    Sounds familiar - first time playing it a snapped my drive on to the 4th(?) fairway. 6 iron back to my fairway. 5 iron to 4ft from pin. Birdie. Piece of cake really.

Second time playing it - perfect drive. Then two balls in water, lost ball over green, ended up with an 11.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I did both of the above the only time I've played there. Shot off the tee went straight while I was playing my slice. Second shot sliced into the water - just barely.

I bought 4 passes at an auction and have to play before June 13. When will the greens be perfect?

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    The Marshes Gold Golf Membership does not seem like a bad deal. You still get lots of choice for tee-times.

Thread Information