CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    Oh Mr. Saint man, Please take care of my Geoff my playing partner, who knows it may result in an extra stroke or two off of our scores.
    That's why he partnered himself with you Frank
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    I'm afraid buddy that you're not going to get your D3. As cheif said lighter grips will get you a couple of sw points maybe. Lead tape is the only other solution I can think of. I can add the 5g tip weight and get you up around the D0. Getting you a D3 just ain't going to happen... sorry.

Do the best you can do. Appreciate it. I just don't want to mar those nice Bstone heads with ugly lead tape. We'll see how they play at D0 and go from there. Thanks for trying.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

But unless you have 13 lighter mid-sized grips you want to swap me for, I think we're out of luck.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I ask my buddy Don Irving from Artisan golf what he thought and he agreed that unless you have a heavier shaft or lighter grip you're not going to get the sw to a D3. ..Sorry... I tried.
    Just get a big wad of lead tape and make it look like it's a part of the clubhead. Maybe put your initials on it to make it look like they were custom made for you
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Hey Geoff, Don't worry about the looks, lead tape is the new black in golf fashions I remember 8 years ago using a driver with gobs of lead tape on it, it weighed in at an E3 on the swingweight scale. But I was still able back then to generate club head speeds in the high 120,s. It's amazing how you can get used too just about anything and use it effectively. My buddy Denny told me "why don't you just use a rebar with a rock at the end" He was just jealous cause I was out driving him by 80 yards .

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    This technique to swing weight graphite shafts to D3 was advised to me by a professional clubmaker. I never had this challenge before so I followed his advice. As an after thought I'm re-doing them as there is some risk that the lead extended past the hosel. Probably not but I'm not 100% sure, but better to be safe than sorry. This is why I'm looking for alternate methods to swing weight them to d2-3. The shafts were pre-tipped so I didn't cut them. They are playing a little softer now. As always with adding weight the CG will change but in this case it helped.

This has become a challenge and I'd appreciate your thoughts on accomplishing this without making too many alterations. Also your thoughts on any side affects that will alter the characteristics of the club.
    The technique is acceptable Chris, it's the results that are not. Was this Pro Clubmaker aware of what you were exactly trying to do ? If he was, well ... Rule of thumb with adding weight (down the hosel ), no more than 8 gr. This # represents an acceptable deviation from the original CG, around 1/8". More than 6 gr, now you have to consider the change in flex that will occur also. So, the final outcome of your efforts are: a shaft that is playing 1/2 to 3/4 of a flex softer, a softer tip feel, a CG moved up and towards the heel almost a 1/4''. That's excessive. Not to mention the the stess point created within the shaft. All this to achieve a SW of D3 for a shaft that was totally not designed for that. Especially a taper tip graphite

I know why Geoff wanted graphite, that makes sense. But what should have been done : either bore out the hosels to accept parallel to expand your choices of shafts and customizing options , or use a combo of tungsten powder, (always with graphite ! ) lead tape with a hard step "X" flex.

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    The technique is acceptable Chris, it's the results that are not. Was this Pro Clubmaker aware of what you were exactly trying to do ? If he was, well ... Rule of thumb with adding weight (down the hosel ), no more than 8 gr. This # represents an acceptable deviation from the original CG, around 1/8". More than 6 gr, now you have to consider the change in flex that will occur also. So, the final outcome of your efforts are: a shaft that is playing 1/2 to 3/4 of a flex softer, a softer tip feel, a CG moved up and towards the heel almost a 1/4''. That's excessive. Not to mention the the stess point created within the shaft. All this to achieve a SW of D3 for a shaft that was totally not designed for that. Especially a taper tip graphite

I know why Geoff wanted graphite, that makes sense. But what should have been done : either bore out the hosels to accept parallel to expand your choices of shafts and customizing options , or use a combo of tungsten powder, (always with graphite ! ) lead tape with a hard step "X" flex.

I hope this helps

Thanks Les, it helpls, but as that old saying goes "Too little, too late." Saint will just have to do the best he can.

... Thanks Les.. I'll just have to work within the parameters. You can go back to sleep now... I'll call if I need you

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    But unless you have 13 lighter mid-sized grips you want to swap me for, I think we're out of luck.
    Loose the mid sizes and build up 50g. grips with masking tape.

There, I just added 2 sw pts for you

Loose the mid sizes and build up 50g. grips with masking tape.

There, I just added 2 sw pts for you
    Thought of that, but even with three wraps its not enough. How many wraps can you fit under a grip?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    How much tip has to be inserted for a secure bond. I used to know but I forgot. I asked on another forum and awaiting a reply. If only one inch is safe then that could be solved there. If the clubs had no value I would drill the weight port as an experiment. And Geoff Tiger wrapped lead tape on the shaft at one point.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    How much tip has to be inserted for a secure bond. I used to know but I forgot. I asked on another forum and awaiting a reply. If only one inch is safe then that could be solved there. If the clubs had no value I would drill the weight port as an experiment. And Geoff Tiger wrapped lead tape on the shaft at one point.
    I know, and I've seen lead tape around the top of hosels. It just looks ugly. I'm sure I can play them at D-0, I just prefer a heavier feel.

How about 12!! @ 1 gr. /wrap.

How about 12!! @ 1 gr. /wrap.

OK, so say you fit 12 wraps under a grip, will that not affect the integrity of the grip? I can't see a grip still having all its benefits in traction with it being that strectched, if 12 wraps stretch it that much. Is that not the purpose of midsize and oversize grips? Help me out, I'm learning as I go here.

OK, so say you fit 12 wraps under a grip, will that not affect the integrity of the grip? I can't see a grip still having all its benefits in traction with it being that strectched, if 12 wraps stretch it that much. Is that not the purpose of midsize and oversize grips? Help me out, I'm learning as I go here.
    It can and has been done.

Example : 50gr. grip, .600 core 600 butt = 0.900 " = men's std.

1 wrap = 0.915 " = + 1/64 " over

3 wraps = 0.930 " = + 1/32 " over

6 wraps ( mid size, 56gr.) = 0.960 " = + 1/16" over
    (compare to 62gr.+ )

12 wraps = 1.025 " + 1/8'' over

Mid size grips were introduced to the market to make $$$ for the grip componies.

Only a lazy clubmaker would ever consider using them

It can and has been done.

Example : 50gr. grip, .600 core 600 butt = 0.900 " = men's std.

1 wrap = 0.915 " = + 1/64 " over

3 wraps = 0.930 " = + 1/32 " over

6 wraps ( mid size, 56gr.) = 0.960 " = + 1/16" over
    (compare to 62gr.+ )

12 wraps = 1.025 " + 1/8'' over

Mid size grips were introduced to the market to make $$$ for the grip componies.

Only a lazy clubmaker would ever consider using them

Hmmmm, interesting, Saint....er I mean Chris are you reading this???

But my concern is with the tackiness. Strecthing the grip doesn't compromise it?

The swingweight will be reduced significantly.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hmmmm, interesting, Saint....er I mean Chris are you reading this???

But my concern is with the tackiness. Strecthing the grip doesn't compromise it?

A big no ! I stretch my own grips down the shaft 3/4'', the sun still rises in the east every morning.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    How much tip has to be inserted for a secure bond. I used to know but I forgot.
    I built a Frankenshaft experiment once where I had about 7/8" of shaft in the hosel and it held up just fine.

I was a little worried on the first few swings but once it held up I just forgot about it.

Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information