+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Swing weight techniques

I have used all techniques from lead powder, lead weights, lead tape and brass tip weights. However I have not used tungsten yet because of the cost.

I'm just wondering what other techniques are used out there. I shafted some graphite iron shafts where I had to use a combination of the above. Now I'm wondering if it was the best method as I used powder and plyable lead. What techniques would you use for iron graphite shafts if you had to add 12 grams to the tip to get it to the desired swing weight, realizing the tip weights for graphite irons are sold at a max of 5g?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've used some of the tungsten weights in Wishon driver (and iron) heads since I tend to play shorter than average drivers. They are definitely heavy and work well.

Of course this doesn't help with non-Wishon heads unless you drill out your own weight port.

Bogie Kona Golf is on a distinguished road Kona Golf's Avatar
    Tungsten - (IMO)

It is more expensive to buy, but application per club really is not that expensive.

The Tungsten is much heavier and safer than lead. It is really the right choice for graphite as it keeps the weight as low as possible in the graphite shafts. 2 grams of tungsten takes a lot less space than 2 grams of lead.

I just stopped by GS today to pick up another jar..just so I do not run out.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    12gr.!!!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    12gr.!!!
    Yeah 12 gr. He needed it to get my swingweights up to D3 like I wanted.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    These must be ultra light shafts or ultra light heads or extra short clubs. I have a question regarding this technique. Since adding 6 swingweight points do you factor in the flex factor when doing so i.e extra tip trimming or hard stepping? If adding 12 grams won't this alter the centre of gravity a bit i.e higher and towards the heel? Will the added powder sit higher than the hosel?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

100 grm graphite shafts, Bridgestone J33 Combo heads and actually playing 1/4" over "standard".
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Do you have the weight of the iron heads. Something does not compute in this little head of mine.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Unless Saint weighed them before assembly I couldn't tell you. And nothing on the Bridgestone site.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    These must be ultra light shafts or ultra light heads or extra short clubs. I have a question regarding this technique. Since adding 6 swingweight points do you factor in the flex factor when doing so i.e extra tip trimming or hard stepping? If adding 12 grams won't this alter the centre of gravity a bit i.e higher and towards the heel? Will the added powder sit higher than the hosel?

BINGO !!

Someone is paying attetion .

Forgot to mention Chief, they are taper tip shafts, so tip trimming is not an option.

This technique to swing weight graphite shafts to D3 was advised to me by a professional clubmaker. I never had this challenge before so I followed his advice. As an after thought I'm re-doing them as there is some risk that the lead extended past the hosel. Probably not but I'm not 100% sure, but better to be safe than sorry. This is why I'm looking for alternate methods to swing weight them to d2-3. The shafts were pre-tipped so I didn't cut them. They are playing a little softer now. As always with adding weight the CG will change but in this case it helped.

This has become a challenge and I'd appreciate your thoughts on accomplishing this without making too many alterations. Also your thoughts on any side affects that will alter the characteristics of the club.

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

I'll send you the weights when I get home tonight.

Do you have the weight of the iron heads. Something does not compute in this little head of mine.

Chris. At that length and with the actual weight of the shaft I believe there won't be much adding to do if any. Go to myostrichgolf.com and scroll all the way to the bottom right corner where you will see Chicago Golf swingweight estimator. Click on it and enter your data. The way I see if the clubs stay as are they would end up close to E. Hope this helps.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Forgot to mention Chief, they are taper tip shafts, so tip trimming is not an option.
    Could be hard stepped or soft stepped if you had the extra shaft. But probably won't be needed.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I don't need them to play any stiffer. And Chris told me that without the extra weight, they came in at C7-C8 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    12gr.!!!
    Is there something I'm missing here buddy? If you have something to contribute Les there's a beer in it for you. With your experience how would you handle this? If the club's swingweight is C7 and the customer wanted it to be D3. You know that it's graphite taper tip. The walls of the shaft are thicker than steel so you'll not get a lot of powder in there let alone a cork to fit. Maximum tip weight for graphite shaft is 5g. A bit of a pickle wouldn't you say.

So pour it on bother..I'm listening

Dry fitted they came out to C7.

Chris. At that length and with the actual weight of the shaft I believe there won't be much adding to do if any. Go to myostrichgolf.com and scroll all the way to the bottom right corner where you will see Chicago Golf swingweight estimator. Click on it and enter your data. The way I see if the clubs stay as are they would end up close to E. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    Dry fitted they came out to C7.
    How did you dry fit? Cut to actual playing length? With the grip on? What is your standard 3 iron length(mine is 39)
    Mahatma Gandhi

If the data is right then you are right but we do not have the exact figures.Anyway If you build them to 39,50 (3 iron ) you will be sitting at D.0 with no weight added.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Actual playing length + .25" I believe. So 3I is 39.25". I wish they did come out to D0, it would made this assembly so much easier.

How did you dry fit? Cut to actual playing length? With the grip on? What is your standard 3 iron length(mine is 39)

Is the shaft hole big enough to slide up a tip weight with one roll of lead tape?
    How deep is the hosel?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Lighter grips might help you.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Lighter grips might help you.

Lighter grips are not an option. I just bought some new mid-size grips that were put on them. I'm not forking out more cash for grips.

Hosel is 1.25".. Lead tape around the pin may be an option. I can't see it adding much but it won't hurt to try.

Is the shaft hole big enough to slide up a tip weight with one roll of lead tape?
    How deep is the hosel?

Imagine, all this fuss over lil' ol' me. Don't I feel special, or a pain in the.......

All this fuss is going to cost you BIG TIME!!.. Hopefully the alternate solution is simple. As always Andre is proving great input and it's really appreciated. I would like to hear from the other clubmakers that visit here on their suggestions as well. We can all learn from this I'm sure.... That means you too Johnston!
    Use steel next time

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Imagine, all this fuss over lil' ol' me. Don't I feel special, or a pain in the.......

You tell that to my joints!!!!
    But oh well, this is just the excuse I was looking for to sell my clubs. Just kidding!!!!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Oh Mr. Saint man, Please take care of my Geoff my playing partner, who knows it may result in an extra stroke or two off of our scores.

I'm afraid buddy that you're not going to get your D3. As cheif said lighter grips will get you a couple of sw points maybe. Lead tape is the only other solution I can think of. I can add the 5g tip weight and get you up around the D0. Getting you a D3 just ain't going to happen... sorry.

Thread Information