CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Darn Critters

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Darn Critters

On the third hole at Le Geant at Mont Tremblant yesterday, one of the deer standing around the hole came over and started to lick my ball, which caused it to move off the back fringe and onto the green.

I replaced the ball, which I believe falls under rule 18-1, an outside agency, before I played my next shot.

Was this right? We then had to wait while the deer stood around on the green.

What's the rules for fixing hoof marks?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    The ball is replaced under Rule 18-1, but the actual replacement fails under Rule 20. (Rule 20-3c specifically)

I would need to know if you knew exactly where your ball lay before the deer moved it.

For instance, if you were 150 yards from the green when the deer moved it, the spot where your ball lay would not be known and a ball would be dropped at the estimated spot.

If you were near enough to be able to see the spot, then a ball would be placed on that spot.

If your ball was on the putting green, it would not make any difference because in either case a ball is to be placed on the putting green.

The player may repair ONLY damage to the putting green made by THE IMPACT OF A BALL.

As a courtesy to other players, you should repair the damage when you have completed play of the hole.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Talking hahaha

Colby......

I bet you enjoyed that too...........

Thanks Gary.

I was close enough to the hole to see. The deer were about 15 feet away, and my wife was thrilled to see the deer lick the ball, I guess it looked like a salt ball or something.

I was joking about the hoof marks, but it is good to know that only ball marks could be fixed, I know about not fixing spike marks, but thought that other "abnormal"marks could be fixed, i.e. guys hitting the green with the putter etc. The greens were nice and firm, and the deer lighter than me The female did stop near the flag and preen herself for a minute. I tried to shoosh her away, she wasn't very frightened.

On the fixing note, if I am waiting for someone else to walk up to the green, etc, and the mark is nowhere near my line, could that be fixed, or does it have to wait until after everyone has completed putting. At that time, you are usually scrambling to clear the green before the next group hits on.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Steve,

I would have been in a conumdrum if she had knocked it into the hole (it's a steep slope from the back of the green) I might have just played a "fun" round at that point and not worried about making it an official handicap round.
    Colby

Yes, go ahead and fix the damage only if it is not on or near anyone's line of putt.

The actual wording is:
    Any other damage to the putting green shall not be repaired if it might assist the player in his subsequent play of the hole.

BTW- You may repair a "ball mark" on the putting green at any time whether or not your ball is on the putting green.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    The player may repair ONLY damage to the putting green made by THE IMPACT OF A BALL.

As a courtesy to other players, you should repair the damage when you have completed play of the hole.
    Gary:

I was played on Thursday and was told that you are only allowed to repair ball marks ON THE PUTTING GREEN before you have completed play of the hole - i.e., if you repair a ball mark on the fringe or fairway before you have completed the hole then you are given a two-stroke penalty. Is this true?
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Yes.

BTW- The same holds true for an embedded ball. You cannot fix the ball mark before you drop.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Hey Colby, good luck on trying to repair Hoof marks...

In the fall a couple of years ago, at Mississippi GC, my wife et moi had to jump up & down & then yell to avoid being run over by a big buck & three of his lady-friends. They finally stopped 20 feet away, looked us up & down, then sauntered casually into the trees.
    When we got to the green, the damage was SUBSTANTIAL!!!!!
    Several dozen gouges, all deeper than my divot tool. I tried but forget it.

The greenkeeper(s) must luv it!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information