100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

Dont want to start an argument but--

As an avid reader of this forum (the only forum I belong to) I have started to notice lately the lack of postings and wondering. Is it because we are not golfing--is it because the sun isn't shinning or is it because its tax time?

I think its none of the above.

The answer is----where has everyone gone?

I think everyone is afraid to post for fear of "deleted post" PM or being temporarily banned. I have no problem with simple rules etc: I have never had a problem stating an opinion or making a "funny" but I'll tell you one thing; I am thinking way too long in posting on any subject----my feeling is that the fun has been taken away---This is my opinion---I for one really miss all the kibittzing etc back and forth and the thievry (in moderate quantities)----please correct me if I am wrong.

Brian
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    As an avid reader of this forum (the only forum I belong to) I have started to notice lately the lack of postings and wondering. Is it because we are not golfing--is it because the sun isn't shinning or is it because its tax time?

I think everyone is afraid to post for fear of "deleted post" PM or being temporarily banned. I have no problem with simple rules etc: I have never had a problem stating an opinion or making a "funny" but I'll tell you one thing; I am thinking way too long in posting on any subject----my feeling is that the fun has been taken away---This is my opinion---I for one really miss all the kibittzing etc back and forth and the thievry (in moderate quantities)----please correct me if I am wrong.

Brian
    Your not alone Brian.... we have been relegated to the Anything section but thats ok..... I understand the guys getting upset when people hijack their classified ad or serious post.... both sides of the fence seem to take this a little too far in voicing their opinions and that seems to have dampened the spirits of many.... I have a number of 'friends' that are members in here that I see everyday at work and they have given up...... I won't but I will respect the 'serious' sections
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

Brian
    You are preaching to the converted, but as very smart man once said, the Proof is not in the pudding, it is in the EATING of the pudding.

We'll see what happens to the forum traffic over the coming months. Maybe the recent rule changes will have a positive effect and more people will come.......then again maybe they'll have a negative effect and people will stop coming - the purists will be happy but me thinks that the advertisers will not be............Only time will tell

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I, for one like the new rule. Nothing personal guys but it is nice to click on 'New Threads' and know that when you read those threads, the new posts added to the thread might actually be about something. I prefer quality over quantity.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    I, for one like the new rule. Nothing personal guys but it is nice to click on 'New Threads' and know that when you read those threads, the new posts added to the thread might actually be about something. I prefer quality over quantity.

What new rule are we talking about?? ?Basicallyt his place will pick up when it stops snowing. Luckily I played a Jack Nicklaus course yesterday and won the long drive with 315 yards in the fairway - THanks for the Cally X Tour Geoff!

Give it a few months and this place will pick up.

Do i care if people hijack?? No.

However some do and that's fine. THis place has an almost anything sectin so if you just wanna chat with your friends stay there. The issue is if people post random stuff everywhere this place will no longer be a "GOLF RESOURCE" remember for every "member" there is like 50 guests. haha Anyways This place will pick up soon when most of us start picking up our clubs. T'ill then I"ll be browsing all the serious sections and YOU KNOW the almost anything.

So anyawys before my rant... what is this "new rule"?

Golf Pigette of the Year 07,08 kerisb is on a distinguished road kerisb's Avatar
    Well I'm with you big mac!! When I joined there seemed to be 2 sides to this forum. One side was for the more serious golfer, with techiniques ,instruction, rules etc. Then there was another side, that seemed to be like a bunch of friends brought here by their love of golf but willing to talk about anything!!
    Know I know for myself there are many many sites I can go to for the technical side of golf. But I have yet to find many sights that have the friendly fun loving side of it that this sight had.
    Seems to me that there are a dedicated bunch in here that are here day after day and make it a fun place. After dealing with the stresses of everyday life it is nice to know that I can come here and learn something about a game I enjoy, but also get a good chuckle while in the same site! I believe that without these people this forum would indeed slow down a great deal.
    One of the reasons why I joined was because of the friendliness of this site, and just seemed there was way too much fun going on in here. Well after meeting some of the peolpe in here at the fall golf day I would have to say that there are a lot of very friendly and fun loving people in here. I think it would be a shame to lose that.
    Doesn't seem to be too hard to skip over the threads I am not interested in, don't understand why we can't keep both sides that made the forum what it is!!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    It's not easy on the moderators and I have had tons of deleted post PM's and I have never felt the fear of beingbanned, was warned once though!

The thing is that the two majority of groups on here are serious golfers who want a golf site about golf. And then they're social golfers, who maybe serious as well, but want a more social forum with golf on the side.

The thing is that there are titles to every thread, so why not use it. If you want to chat about nothing and have a bunch of social stuff then use the anything folder. Dan has even set up a live chat room so that anyone can chat anytime they want. There is also a jokes section and a golf jokes section. I think that covers the social crowd. Why can't the serious golfers have the threads that talk about equipment, clubmaking, rules and lesson without being ambushed by the socailites?

I rarely go in the almost anything and jokes section because I go to other sites for that, so why should I have to scroll through a bunch of posts because others feel the need to share their inside jokes in every thread, especially the classifieds where it can get really annoying.

There's enough room on here for all of us and this site is not heavily moded when compared to others. We just have to come to compromise where golfers can talk about golf and social golfers can have fun.

Seems pretty easy really.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Very good observation Brian.......and I second Indio's and Scott's thoughts!!

Disagree with the site traffic picking up when the season starts. My guess is when we finally get some decent golf weather many of us will be catching up on the rounds we have missed for the late season start, and will have little if any time to sit on this site.

Further to Scott's (Hacker's) post, we may try to become the purist non-controversal "I love your course" and "you love mine" and lets all walk "hand in hand" down the fairway of life Golf Forum.......However, thats not real life, we have our likes and dislikes of various courses, PGA Tour Pros, clubs, shoes etc.....and this forum provides an "outlet" and some "fun" after a hectic day on the job and juggling a "busy" family life........

Once members are "heavily" censored, threatened with suspension for very "minor" comments then in time they will drift away............and if that becomes a large trend then yes Scott the "advertisers will not" be happy........ $$$$$$$

BRING ON THE SUNSHINE AND WARM GOLFING WEATHER !!!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    I for one am still enjoying the ski season out here in Calgary. Haven't golfed since coming out here in Oct and won't have my clubs till I return to Ottawa for Canada Day. In the mean time I enjoy checking in regularly and posting comments or what not when appropriate.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Brian
    Brian,

As I believe this was based out of my post, I will reply to you here.

When I stepped in to moderate the other thread, threatening people with temporary bans, there was a reason I did so. There had been 99 replies to the inquiry about the top 3 courses in the Ottawa area as Gimmie was moving back and was interested. Of those 99 posts, 34 were directly related to discussion on that topic. Probably another 10-15 were sort of related, which left more than 50% totally unrelated to the thread at all. And 33 of those, almost the amount that related to the thread, were completely about the Marshes. If people want to talk about the Marshes, then talk about the Marshes. But do it in its own thread. That's what the rules say. People need to check them out because that's what they agreed to when they signed up to post on this site.

The rules were not set up to stop anyone from having a good time or posting bad things about a course. In fact, the rules allow you to post bad things about a course as long as they are specific. Dan was pretty liberal in letting the "Brownsmere" comment stay in the other thread. There are plenty of opportunities to socialize on this site. Dan has set up chat software, specific forums to have fun in, and in most cases off topic posts are quite often ignored which is probably why my posting hit a few nerves.

As most people know, this site generates revenue for Dan. The rules are not only set up to create a positive environment for the thousands of visitors who come here every day, but also to protect Dan. Let's say for instance that Dan lets things go. People can say whatever they want about whatever they want. They can trash courses, slander people, whatever. The Internet is an anonymous place for the most part. So one day someone makes a few slanderous remarks about a course with no justification, and the course owner calls up Dan to complain. Dan says that he's not responsible for what people say, but legally he is. Now the course owner sues Dan and wins. This site will be gone along with Dan's house, car and other possessions. And as a moderator, I am also somewhat responsible for what goes on here, thus the insistance on following the rules, I do not wish to find out the extent of my liability. Would you be willing to help me out with the legal fees?

If people are unhappy with the treatment here, and I have seen this time and time again, they will leave. Some will even create alternate sites where they can do what they want, and this too has happened. It's not our intention to drive people away, but the rules are the rules, and if people feel that they cannot live with them and participate according to them, then I wish them luck. This site will be here when and if they decide to return.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I'm with you on this, Dave.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Well said Colby.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Here here!

I don't think this thread needs to be left open.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thread Information